Best Office Chair for Degenerative Disc Disease | Review Guide (2022)
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before acting based on anything you read or see.
It’s no secret that sitting for extended periods can be uncomfortable or even painful. However, for those suffering from degenerative disc disease, the pain, and discomfort when sitting are usually on another level. Let us help you get the best office chair for degenerative disc disease.
This can be incredibly challenging, primarily if you work in a traditional office setup since you often need to sit for hours at a time, that’s why having the right office chair is essential.
Of course, finding the best office chair for degenerative disc disease tends to be easier said than done, especially if you’re unsure of what to look for in one. That’s where we come in.
We created a comprehensive guide with everything you need to know about finding the best office chair for your condition, including what to look for, the specific features of an excellent chair, and the top 6 products that can meet your needs.
With that said, let’s dive right in!
Why Trust Home Affluence Reviews
We spend thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. Our review process is made in good faith to benefit your purchase. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and all opinions about the products are our own. Read more.
Our Top Choice
After spending hours researching the top offers on the market, we determined that the Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair is, without a doubt, the best office chair for degenerative disc disease on the market. It has all the qualities you need to be comfortable and pain-free when seated, such as breathability, ergonomic design, adjustability, and thick cushioning. It’s easy enough to assemble, too, perfect for those with this type of condition.
- ★ MORE ADJUSTABLE THEN ANY OTHER CHAIR IN ITS CLASS — Unlike the office chairs sold by our competitors, which allow you to either fully recline or sit upright, we have a SECOND adjustment lever that allows you to lock in your desired recline angle at ANY degree. That way, you can be assured of finding the perfect comfortable seating position just for you.
- ★ BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- ★ FULLY ADJUSTABLE BACK SUPPORT - Having back issues or don’t want to develop them? Our unique office chair includes adjustable lumbar support that goes in and out, up and down, and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
What to Look For in the Best Office Chair for Degenerative Disc Disease
Before we talk more about the top 6 office chairs for degenerative disc disease, let’s take a quick look at the top qualities you need to look for when searching for one.
If you suffer from degenerative disc disease, it’s generally better to choose an office chair that offers enough support for your body, especially in your lower back. This is particularly crucial if you’re going to sit for long periods since it also affects how comfortable you are.
An office chair with the right amount of lumbar support will also ensure you retain a proper posture while seated, which can help prevent your condition from worsening over time. Maintaining a correct posture will also help reduce experiencing pain when sitting.
The good news is most office chairs designed for these types of conditions already offer lumbar support, usually in the form of cushioning. Some models even have adjustable lumbar support features to further enhance comfort.
Aside from lumbar support, another critical quality you should look for in the best office chair for degenerative disc disease is adjustability. Your chosen chair should be flexible enough to accommodate your needs and specific preferences.
In this case, an adjustable office chair can make it easier for you to feel comfortable when sitting since you can just adjust what you need to if you want to feel more relaxed and comfortable. It can also help you retain a correct posture without sacrificing comfort.
With that said, most office chairs usually have an adjustable backrest that can recline as required. However, more ergonomic office chairs will allow you to adjust other components of the chair, such as the armrests and headrest and the seat depth and height. Some will even have a tilting mechanism so that you’re more comfortable when sitting.
Mobility and Stability
Mobility and stability are other two critical aspects to look for when choosing the best office chair for degenerative disc disease. This is because a chair with better mobility will allow you to quickly reach different areas of your office without having to make more unnecessary movements.
Similarly, a more stable chair ensures that your weight is more evenly distributed when seated, so you don’t have to worry about the chair tipping over or tilting to one side while you’re sitting.
In this case, it’s better to choose a chair with a five-point base since this helps it be more stable. It’s also better to select a chair with heavy-duty caster wheels that allow you to move more easily around your office.
Now that you know what qualities to look for in the best office chair for degenerative disc disease, let’s discuss the key considerations you need to consider before you buy one.
Ergonomics is undoubtedly one of the most critical factors to consider when choosing the right office chair for your needs, especially if you suffer from degenerative disc disease.
This is because those suffering from this condition typically experience more difficulties remaining seated for long periods due to the discomfort and pain.
In this case, an ergonomic office chair can help because these types of chairs are usually designed to help you retain a proper posture when sitting, which helps reduce the pressure on your spine and lower body while seated.
The reduced pressure then reduces the chances of further aggravating your condition. However, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for ergonomic office chairs, mainly because there are numerous options available on the market.
Still, in terms of ergonomics, your chair should provide enough support for your spine’s natural curves, helping you maintain an upright sitting position. Your elbows should also be at a 90-degree angle, with your upper arms staying parallel to your spine.
The armrests should also ensure that your shoulders stay in a relaxed position, which alleviates the pressure around your shoulders and neck. Your chair should also have an adjustable height so your feet can rest on the floor with your thighs firmly rested on the seat and your screen at eye level.
All of these should help reduce some of the pressure on your spine and irritation to your spinal discs, making you feel more comfortable when working. The reduced pain and discomfort can also help boost your productivity at work and improve your concentration.
Reclining vs. Fixed Backrest
Aside from ergonomics, you need to consider another primary consideration: whether to go for a chair with a fixed or reclining backrest. As mentioned, sitting upright is crucial to maintain a proper posture and alleviate the pressure on your lower back.
However, according to experts, it’s better to go for an office chair with a reclining backrest since the right amount of recline can be beneficial for your spine. According to them, it’s better to sit back at a 135-degree angle instead of 90 degrees.
This is because this angle puts the least amount of stress on your spine, reducing back pain and discomfort, making it perfect for those who suffer from conditions like degenerative disc disease.
Overall Features to Look
You now know what to consider and what qualities to look for in the best office chair for degenerative disc disease. So, what are the exact features you should look for when searching for one?
As mentioned, this is one of the qualities you should look for in an office chair for degenerative disc disease since having enough support for your lower back is critical for reducing the pain and discomfort.
In this case, the chair you choose should be able to accommodate the inward curve of your spine to ensure you can sit comfortably, even for long periods. It’s also a good idea if your chosen chair’s lumbar support can be adjusted, especially its height and depth, for better support and comfort.
Adjustable Seat Height
Your chosen chair should also have an adjustable seat height so you can sit more comfortably while retaining a proper posture. In general, this should be around 16 to 21 inches from the floor, but the specific height depends on your height.
In this case, you just need to make sure that you can adjust the height enough to sit comfortably with your feet firmly on the floor and thighs horizontal to the seat.
The best office chair for degenerative disc disease should also have a reclining backrest, which you can adjust to your preference and needs. As mentioned, choosing a chair that can be reclined to a 135-degree angle is best. This gives your spine, particularly your lower back, enough support, and comfort while retaining a proper posture.
Adjustable Seat Depth
Another feature you should look for in these office chairs is an adjustable seat depth. Your seat should allow you to sit with your back against the backrest. It is while still leaving a couple of inches of room between your chair and the back of your knees.
Aside from this, you should also consider the width of the seat and make sure it’s spacious enough to accommodate your frame. This is especially true if you have a larger body type since narrower seats can be uncomfortable.
It’s also better to look for adjustable armrests with your office chair so that your shoulders can stay in a comfortable position and ensure your elbows are at a 90-degree angle. Adjustable armrests also ensure your arms can rest comfortably without affecting your posture, even when typing.
Mobility is one of the critical qualities to look for in an office chair designed for degenerative disc disease. It will help you reach other areas of your office space more easily without straining yourself.
In this case, make sure your chosen chair has heavy-duty wheels so you can move your chair quickly and easily when needed.
Reviews of the Top 6 Best Office Chairs for Degenerative Disc Disease
Now that you know what to consider when searching for the best office chair for degenerative disc disease let’s discuss the top 6 best options you’ll find on the market.
01- Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair
- It comes with a two-way adjustable lumbar support mechanism
- It has an adjustable reclining backrest
- Features an adjustable headrest with a lift of up to 3.9 inches
- It comes with fully adjustable armrests with a lift of up to 3.9 inches
- Constructed with highly elastic and breathable mesh
- Features a high-density foam cushion
- Cushion features a W-design
- Accommodates persons weigh up to 330 lbs.
- It has 5 rollerblade caster wheels for mobility
- Features an ergonomic design for everyday use
- It weighs only 44.6 lbs.
- Sleek and slim profile
If you’re looking for the best office chair for degenerative disc disease, you can never go wrong with the Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair. This office chair was designed with ergonomics at its core, offering a variety of adjustable features to make sitting all day more comfortable and bearable.
For example, it comes with a two-way adjustable lumbar support mechanism that allows you to adjust its height and depth for better lower back support. This office chair also has adjustable armrests and a headrest that helps you maintain a proper posture throughout the day.
You can also recline the mesh backrest at an angle of 90 degrees, with 120 degrees as its maximum. The seat cushion was also intended to be ergonomic, featuring a W-style design that allows you to sit more comfortably while working. The cushion is also made from high-density molded foam, which allows it to mold comfortably to your lower body’s shape when seated.
Lastly, it comes with five rollerblade caster wheels that offer increased mobility, enabling you to simply roll your chair wherever you need to.
- Ergonomics in Every Feature: This is truly one of the most ergonomic chairs out there, with almost every element being highly adjustable. This makes it perfect for those who suffer from conditions like DDD or even just your chronic lower back pain.
- Easy Installation: This chair comes with easy-to-understand instructions so that you won’t spend a lot of time just setting up the chair.
- Comfortable and Durable: This office chair ensures you have the utmost comfort while seated, and it’s made from highly durable materials, ensuring it’s built to last.
- Improved Mobility: This chair also comes with five caster wheels that make it easy to roll and move, and you can do so without making much noise.
- Limited Range for Adjustability: Its backrest can only recline up to a 120-degree angle, around 15 degrees short of the recommended 135-degree recline. However, you can always check out the Nouhaus Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Desk Chair if it’s a deal breaker.
02- Nouhaus Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Desk Chair
- It has a three-dimensional dynamic design for its lumbar support
- Features a two-directional headrest with an adjustable height and tilt
- It comes with four-directional armrests
- With five blade wheels for mobility
- It has an aluminum five-point wheelbase
- Features a reclining backrest with a maximum angle of 135 degrees
- Available in four different colors
- Constructed with high-quality and breathable ElastoMesh
- It comes with an extra set of caster wheels for hardwood floors
- Accommodates adults weighing up to 275 lbs.
- Slim and sleek frame
- Features the company’s unique Hydra Lift system
Next on our list is the Nouhaus Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Desk Chair, another office chair that’s designed to provide you with the utmost support and comfort when sitting.
This chair is considered perfect for those suffering from degenerative disc disease because each component has been engineered to accommodate and support spinal health.
For example, its lumbar support has a three-dimensional dynamic design that automatically pivots and adjusts itself, depending on the amount of pressure you place on it. This allows you to adopt a proper posture when seated without actively thinking about it.
The backrest can also recline up to a 135-degree angle, which experts consider the ideal angle for proper back support. It also comes with four-dimensional armrests to adjust to any direction and height you need or prefer.
This chair also comes with an adjustable headrest that you can move up or down to meet the perfect height for your head. You can also adjust its tilt to enhance your comfort when sitting back. Lastly, it comes with heavy-duty but smooth-rolling caster wheels, and they’re mounted on a heavy-duty five-point aluminum base.
- Intuitive and Adjustable Design: This chair makes it easy for you to provide your lower back the support it needs without sacrificing comfort, thanks to its intuitive and adjustable design.
- Perfect Recline for Work and Relaxing: It can recline up to a 135-degree angle, the ideal angle for your lower back. This allows you to stay relaxed and in the proper position, even when working long hours.
- Highly Durable for Long-Lasting Performance: This chair uses highly durable materials that allow it to withstand the constant wear and tear of regular use, ensuring this one’s built to last.
- Non-Adjustable Seat Depth: Unfortunately, this chair doesn’t come with a seat that you can move forward or backward to accommodate your perfect sitting position. If that’s what you’re looking for, you can check out the Ticova Adjustable Ergonomic Office Chair.
03- Ticova Adjustable Ergonomic Office Chair
- It has an adjustable lumbar support
- It comes with a headrest with an adjustable angle and height
- Features an adjustable seat depth and height
- Can recline up to a 130-degree angle
- Features 3-inch high-density foam cushioning
- It has a W-shaped seat with a waterfall edge
- With three-directional armrests with PU paddings
- Constructed with high-quality and breathable mesh
- Accommodates adults up to 280 lbs
- With an SGS-certified heavy-duty wheelbase
- It comes with five floor-friendly PU caster wheels
- It has a durable PA nylon frame
Next, we have the Ticova Adjustable Ergonomic Office Chair, another excellent option you can consider if you’re looking for the best office chair for degenerative disc disease.
Like the others, this office hair features an ergonomic design that helps alleviate the pressure on your lower back and the associated pain and discomfort.
It has an adjustable lumbar support feature whose height and depth are according to your preference and needs. This enables the chair to support your spine’s natural curve for the utmost comfort.
The backrest can also recline up to a 130-degree angle, as well as three-dimensional adjustable armrests that help keep your arms in a comfortable position while you work. The armrests are also topped with thick PU paddings to add to your comfort.
Aside from that, this office chair also has an adjustable seat depth, allowing you to move the seat forward or backward as you like, which is ideal for adjusting your position to suit your needs.
The seat is made from a thick, high-density foam cushion. It has a W-shape design with a waterfall edge that offers the right amount of support and comfort while you tackle your tasks. This chair also comes with an adjustable headrest that offers your head and neck the support they need when you sit back.
- Well-Constructed for Durability and Longevity: This is one of the office chairs that offer you the best bang for your buck, thanks to its fantastic construction that ensures it will last you for years, even with regular use.
- Ergonomic and Comfortable Design: Each feature was designed to offer the best possible comfort and support to your back, making it ideal for those with conditions like degenerative disc disease.
- Easy and Quick Assembly: This chair ensures you don’t have to spend hours setting it up, which can be tough on someone suffering from this condition.
- Not High Enough Headrest: If you’re on the taller side, the headrest might not go high enough to comfortably cater to your head and neck. In that case, the Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair can be an excellent alternative.
04- Steelcase Gesture Ergonomic Office Chair
- It comes with 360-degree rotating armrests
- Features the company’s unique 3D Live Back™ technology
- It has an adjustable back tension mechanism
- Accommodates adults weighing up to 400 lbs.
- Features five caster wheels for carpet floors
- Designed for 24/7 use
- It has an adjustable pneumatic seat height
- Features a four-position recline locking mechanism
- It has a 20-inch wide seat
- It comes with an adjustable seat depth
- The seat is constructed with 100% high-quality polyester
- It comes in a wide range of colors
If you’re looking for the best office chair for degenerative disc disease that combines style and function in one chair, look no further than the Steelcase Gesture Ergonomic Office Chair.
This office chair was designed to offer the best possible support for your spine without sacrificing your sense of style, featuring an ergonomic design and available in a wide range of different colors.
In terms of lumbar support, this chair features the company’s unique 3D Live Back™ technology that allows it to mold to your spine’s natural curve, giving it the support it needs when sitting.
This unique design also helps your spine keep a proper alignment, reducing the chances of back pain and discomfort, even when sitting for long periods.
It also has an adjustable back tension mechanism that you can manually adjust to accommodate your specific needs and preferences when sitting. The 360-degree rotating armrests also help keep your arms in a correct position, alleviating the tension around your neck and shoulders as well.
This chair was also designed to move in sync with your movements. It ensures you don’t strain yourself too much while going about your day. You can see this most with its adjustable seat depth, allowing you to extend it to a maximum depth of 23.63 inches.
- In Sync with Your Movements: This chair was designed to ensure you remain comfortable and have the support you need for your back, even as you shift positions throughout the day.
- Durable Build for Heavy-Duty Use: This office chair has a durable construction that allows it to withstand the wear and tear of constant use, even allowing you to use it 24/7 without harming its durability and performance. It can also accommodate persons weighing up to 400 lbs. without any issues.
- Stable and Comfortable Armrests: This chair’s armrests are some of its most notable features, allowing you to rotate them to the position that makes you feel most comfortable.
- Lack of Lumbar Adjustment: The Steelcase Gesture Ergonomic Office Chair does offer enough lumbar support, but it’s not adjustable. If this is a deal breaker, you can check out the Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair as an alternative.
05- Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair
- Made from 100% recycled materials
- Features a tilt limiter for the backrest’s recline
- Has a tension control for the backrest’s recline
- It comes with a seat angle adjustment feature
- Features the company’s adjustable Posture Fit S/L support technology
- It comes with two individual flexible pads for spinal support
- It has two fully adjustable armrests
- Features an adjustable seat depth and pivot
- It comes with the highly breathable 8Z Pellicle suspension system
- Accommodates adults weighing up to 300 lbs.
- Features a heavy-duty wheelbase
- It comes with five caster wheels
If you’re looking for a well-established option for the best office chair for degenerative disc disease, look no further than the Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair.
This line of ergonomic office chairs has been in production for over 20 years, with the company constantly building on what’s already great and improving the weaker points for an all-around supportive and comfortable office chair.
It was designed to move along with your movements, keeping you steady and balanced, even as you move about your workspace. It has a reclining backrest with a tension control feature and tilt limiter for better support and comfort.
Apart from that, its design also incorporates the company’s trademark Posture Fit S/L support technology, making it perfect for those with conditions like degenerative disc disease. This chair also comes with fully adjustable armrests that keep your arms steady and your shoulders comfortable.
You can also easily adjust the seat angle, depth, and pivot to ensure you’re as comfortable as possible when sitting for long periods without compromising your posture while working.
Lastly, it’s made entirely from recycled materials, making it an excellent option for your health and the environment.
- Human-Centered Ergonomic Design: Each chair feature was designed with the user’s comfort and needs in mind. It allows for the ultimate comfort and back support when sitting for long periods, perfect for those with this condition.
- Eco-Friendly Construction: The Aeron Office Chair was made entirely from recycled materials, ensuring a highly durable and eco-friendly chair without compromising the design or quality.
- Consistently Excellent Quality: The Company behind this chair ensures that their customers have the best possible experience with their products by constantly updating their designs to fit their specific needs and preferences.
- Squeaky Movements: One downside of this office chair is that it can be squeaky when you move, which can be disruptive at times. In that case, you can opt for the Duramont Ergonomic Mesh Back Task Chair for smooth and ultra-quiet mobility.
06- Steelcase Leap Plus Ergonomic Office Chair
- Delivered fully assembled
- Features the company’s trademark 3D Live Back™ technology
- It comes with a natural glide system
- It has an adjustable lumbar support feature
- Features fully adjustable armrests
- It comes with a five-point wheelbase
- It has five highly durable caster wheels
- Features an adjustable seat height
- It has a five-position variable backstop system
- It comes with pivoting armrests
- Has an adjustable seat depth
- Accommodates adults weighing up to 500 lbs.
Last but not least, we have the Steelcase Leap plus Ergonomic Office Chair. If you’re looking for a heavy-duty office chair that offers the back support you need for your condition; this chair can be your best bet.
It comes with the company’s trademark 3D Live Back™ technology that allows it to perfectly fit your spine’s natural curve and cater to its natural shifts in movement. It also has fully adjustable armrests that ensure your arms stay in the proper position, perfect if you need to type many documents for work.
This chair also has an adjustable lumbar support system that allows you to adjust its height and ensure it’s in the perfect position for your lower back. You can also adjust the seat depth according to your needs, perfect if you want to sit comfortably while maintaining a correct posture.
Yet, what’s most notable about this chair is that it can accommodate adults weighing up to 500 lbs., which is perfect if you’re on the heavier side when it comes to weight. Its natural glide system also ensures you enjoy the best possible mobility, even while seated.
- Designed for Heavy-Duty Use: This chair puts durability and longevity at its core, making it perfect for near-constant use and accommodating heavier individuals without sacrificing the amount of support it provides.
- Moves When You Do: It has a smooth and natural glide system that allows you to move freely around your space without compromising your comfort or back support.
- The Perfect Fit: This chair was also designed so that the backrest perfectly molds to your spine’s natural curve, ensuring you have the right amount of back support while remaining comfortable the entire time.
- No Headrest: The only downside of this office chair is that it doesn’t have a headrest, so there might still be some tension and strain around your neck and shoulders. If that’s a deal breaker for you, you can check out the Ticova Adjustable Ergonomic Office Chair as the perfect alternative.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is buying an ergonomic office chair worth it?
For the most part, yes, it is. Ergonomic office chairs help reduce the pressure and tension in your spine, which reduces the discomfort and pain you might feel when sitting for long periods.
This type of chair is also worth it if you suffer from conditions like degenerative disc disease because it also helps reduce the pain.
Are office chairs without arms better if you have degenerative disc disease?
The answer to this is no; they’re not better than office chairs with arms. This is because you still need to provide enough support for your arms to maintain a proper posture and avoid irritating the discs in your spine.
You need armrests to ensure they can rest comfortably while you work, reducing the tension around your shoulders and neck as you do.
Why do you need the right office chair if you have degenerative disc disease?
As mentioned, having the right office chair helps with your condition because it allows you to maintain a proper posture and reduce the pressure on your back. This helps reduce the irritation in your spine’s discs, which means you experience less pain and discomfort.
Is lumbar support essential for an office chair?
Yes, it is. Lumbar support is essential because it helps you retain a more natural and relaxed position when seated without sacrificing your posture or slouching while you do. This also helps ensure your spine retains that natural curve, helping you avoid back pain.
Will ergonomic office chairs benefit you if you’re on the heavier side?
Yes, they can. Some office chairs, like the Steelcase Leap Plus Ergonomic Office Chair, were designed to accommodate heavier individuals without sacrificing the quality and support they provide. Ergonomic office chairs can also benefit these individuals with degenerative disc disease.
Working at an office with degenerative disc disease is undoubtedly a challenging task. Still, you can reduce the chances of experiencing back pain and discomfort with the right office chair, even when sitting for extended periods.
With that said we hope this guide has helped you find the best office chair for degenerative disc disease and clarified what you need to look for when searching for one.
Comments are closed.