Best Riding Lawn Mower For Small Yard Reviews 2021 | Top 5 Picks From Amazon
The key to an attractive and well-kept small lawn is a reliable lawnmower. However, using traditional lawnmowers can be quite tiresome and time-consuming. If this is a problem for you, you should go for the best riding lawn mower for a small yard.
However, with all the options available in the market, finding the best one can be quite challenging. With this in mind, we have created this comprehensive guide about the best riding lawn mower for small yards. We include the 5 top-rated products and the top factors to consider when choosing to make the decision process easier.
Why Trust Home Affluence Reviews
We spend thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. Our review process is made in good faith to benefit your purchase. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and all opinions about the products are our own. Read more.
Our Top Choice
Among the 5 products we reviewed, we found out that the best all-around riding lawn mower for a small yard is the Husqvarna MZ61 Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower. Find out why we consider this the best among the rest and more about the other 4 units by reading on.
- Husqvarna 61 in. zero-turn lawn mower from the MZ series delivers commercial-grade power and amazing ergonomics
- 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat
Comparison Table for Riding Lawn Mower for Small Yards
Keeping our yard clean and well-trimmed all the time reflects our best preference to live in a fresh and squeaky clean environment. It has a lot of benefits for health and also for decorative purposes.
To help us achieve this goal, we have prepared an article where you can read our thorough review on the 5 best riding lawn mowers for small yards.
What to Look For in a Best Riding Lawn Mower for Small Yards
A manicured yard is one great gift we can share with our family, waking up every morning in green and well-kept grass and bushes set up the best mood for the whole day.
Should we ever feel a little monotony in the daily routine inside our home, taking a little walk and stroll within our yard can be of great help? With a well-manicured lawn, it is not also impossible to have an immediate picnic available in our backyard in no time. We do not need to wait and venture to another place to have a special time with family and friends.
Here are some points we can consider in looking for the best Riding lawn mower for our small yards:
A Powerful Engine
The competence of energy of a riding lawn mower is essential in the quality of its performance and the capability to finish up the job in your required time. A lawn with higher Horsepower (hp) will surely accomplish more than a lawn with a lower indicated power.
One Horsepower is equivalent to the amount of work needed to advance 33,000 pounds per 1 foot over a given space in one minute.
A Sturdy Construction
Whether you will be choosing steel, an alloy, or a combination of both for the body and built of riding lawn mower, it is always best to choose the quality that gives it durability and longevity as you utilize it. Your yard may also contain conglomerates and other stuff that will surely require the material’s toughness to fully employ the neatly trimmed yard you desire.
Should your lawn be composed of thick bushes and has a lot of corners and sides, a riding lawn mower that features a zero-turn design is best to find. These features offer effortless manoeuvres for your lawnmowers, making your work less tiring and faster.
Since you are then looking for the best riding lawn mower for small yards, a good comfortable seat while getting the job should describe the choice you will consider. Have you ever dreamt of doing this tedious work as a treat of getting around your yard comfortably? It is easy- consider a good seat too.
Key Consideration in Choosing your Riding Lawn Mower
Finding the ideal lawn mower for your backyard is essential. You have to choose wisely to achieve the result you are aiming for in your backyard.
In choosing the perfect match for the best riding lawn mower for your small yard, you may take note of the following details to make your purchase a pleasant one:
The Size of Your Lawn
You need to know the land area of your small backyard specifically. This would determine the size of your cutting path for your mowers. If your lawn is about ½ to 2 acres of land, a riding land mower with a 42 – 48 inches cutting path would best suit you. If your area is around 3 acres or more, you can try 48 inches or greater for the best results.
The Obstacle and Terrain of Your Yard
A yard with a greater number of trees or bushes would need a more adaptable lawnmower. Your mower for this type of location of a more rugged terrain would require a mower that can slow down through obstacles. On the other hand, if you have a yard with an open area, a mower with a high-speed feature would be best to accomplish work faster.
Nowadays, some units have a multi-speed system that can shift from slow to high speed, depending on your need.
Additional Features that Specifically Suit Your Needs
At present, the designs of riding lawn Mowers also adapted to the fast-changing phase of daily life. Mowers have additional features that will surely fit one of your personalized requests like:
- Spreaders – A special feature that helps layout fertilizers in your yard while you mow.
- Sweepers – A feature that brushes the leaves and other debris left as you mow your lawn.
- Bagging system- A disposal system that provides clippings and debris is injected into an installed bagging system to ease the task, usually sold as a separate unit from lawnmowers.
- Dump carts – allow you to move particles in your yard easily
- Air induction mows system. This takes in air from both the top and bottom of the mower, improving the grass’s condition and providing an optimal cut.
Overall Features of Riding Lawn Mowers for Small yards
Here are the overall features of a riding lawn mower that you should be familiar with:
Engine Power Abilities
An engine with a much higher horsepower yields a greater work capacity. A stronger engine power would better supply energy to a riding lawn mower, which requires power for the blades, transmissions, wheels, and other unit applications.
The transmission system is responsible for transmitting power from the engines up to the lawnmower wheels. It gives control to the mower’s speed and thereby alters its torque depending on the terrain and other existing conditions of the yard.
With a good transmission, it would be easier to gain control of the work of your land mower.
Lawn Mowing is not a quick job to do. It may entail hours of sitting down in your vehicle. With this in mind, a seat that promotes health with a good cushioning system would be very wise to choose, and fit the contour of your back would be a great addition to your choice.
Some Riding Lawnmowers even installed ergonomic seats to ensure additional safety and healthy feature for their future customers.
Ensuring the job’s safety and efficiency can also be attributed to the brake system of the unit. Brakes are used when several obstacles like trees and rough terrain are present- slowing it down to get all through the grass and clippings are activated through the brakes.
These are added legal features as you purchase your riding Lawn Mowers to ensure the manufacturing company’s quality. It also shows the company’s willingness to assist clients should any failures happen.
5 Best Riding Lawn Mower for Small Yards Reviews
- 26 HP Kohler engine
- 6.5 MPH max speed
- Park brake system
- Air induction
- Reinforced steel stamp
- Dischargeable clippings
- 54-inch cutting deck
- Zero-turn design
- Manual transmission
- Comfortable seat
- 3 years limited warranty
What is this Product Best For?
This is the best riding lawn mower for a small yard with plenty of corners and bushes because it is easy to maneuver, thanks to its compact and zero-turn design.
When it comes to lawnmowers, Husqvarna is one of the top brands in the industry. This particular model is equipped with a 26 HP Kohler engine. This allows the machine to start up effortlessly and push it up to 6 MPH speed. Although it is not the most powerful engine, it is enough for small yard use.
Despite that, the cutting blade is at a decent size of 54 inches. With this, you will only need to make a few passes.
In terms of durability, its reinforced steel construction makes it one of the best. It’s corrosion-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about it being exposed to the outside environment. This also makes it more long-lasting than others.
In addition, this one is also equipped with a patent-pending park brake. This enables the brake to automatically activate and deactivate every time the steering lever moves around. This particular feature is an excellent added safety measure to mitigate unwanted accidents.
Lastly, this machine also features an air induction moving technology. This draws air from top to bottom of the deck to give it the ability to make more consistent cuts, allowing you to get better-looking results. If you are worried about the clippings, you don’t have to because they can be bagged, discharged, or mulched. With this, you don’t have to deal with a lot of cleaning up later on. However, please take note that the bagger attachment and mulching kit are sold separately.
- Easy to manoeuvre: With its zero-turn design, the mower is less effortless to turn in the direction of your choice. It is easier to turn the mower in the desired direction with this feature. The Zero-Turn feature also puts the cutting card in front of the mowing machine, making it easier to turn on a due balance course.
- Wide cutting deck: The fabricated deck available in varied wide sizes effectively cut grasses, whether in an open or obstacles area.
- Consistent cut: The cast iron blade provides a sharp cut on grasses.
- Made with high-quality steel: Made from quality materials attributing to its durability and sturdiness
- Ready for bagging and mulching attachment: The unit can be installed with a bagger, which can also be bought online.
- Easy to use: Driving and operating it comes in handy.
- Notable Speed: The unit has a maximum forward speed of 6.5 mph and a reverse maximum speed of 3.2 mph.
- Mulching Capability: This riding lawn mower unit can help you clean and improve your soil condition. A separate kit can be purchased for this purpose.
- Anti-slip: The unit is designed with an anti-slip foot area for safety while utilizing the machine.
- Poor seat: The seat installed may come in very simple, but should you desire a cushioned seat with an armrest, you can try the Ariens IKON XD-52 (52″) 24HP Kohler Zero Turn Lawn, Mower
- Availing of the warranty can be complicated: A clear-cut arrangement from your seller to ensure a warranty upon your purchase would help lessen the hassle should you need one in the future.
Overall, this is a product that you should consider if you don’t mind its smaller engine. You should also consider getting this if your yard is small because of its compact design. But, in terms of performance, safety, and features, this one is worth considering.
- 24 HP engine
- 50-inch cutting width
- Adjustable cutting height
- Reverse cutting
- Alloy steel construction
- Dual hydrostatic transmission
- High-back seat
- Zero-turn design
- Sleek frame design
- Liberty red color
- 2-year limited warranty
What is this Product Best For?
This product is best for small to medium-sized lawns and those looking for a riding lawn mower with exceptional maneuverability.
This machine features a 24 hp Kohler engine. This engine has a twin-cylinder which allows the machine to avoid issues such as choking and priming. With this engine, the machine has a reliable starting system.
Aside from that, it also has a 50-inch cutting deck. This is quite wide given that it only has a 24 hp engine. At the same time, it also has a zero-turn design. This allows it to maneuver effortlessly even if used in a lawn with tight corners and plenty of bushes or trees.
One thing that’s different on this machine that is not common for riding lawn mowers is that the seat is designed to be comfortable. You will see how much attention to detail the brand puts in ensuring that the seat is comfortable with its high-back design and comfortable cushioning. This is why even if you have to spend a lot of time sitting on it and it vibrates, you wouldn’t feel it that much, thanks to its well-thought-out design.
To make this machine even more comfortable, it is equipped with hydrostatic transmission. It lessens the vibration of the entire unit. It makes it run smoothly throughout its operation. Another excellent feature of this one is its adjustable cutting. The maximum cutting height of this machine is 3.75, while its minimum is 1.25 inches. It’s also super easy to make the height adjustment, so you don’t have to worry about that.
- Comfortable seat: Modern cushioning and functionality best describe the seat of the unit.
- Durable construction: The sturdy metal alloy gives its steel framing and body strong and long-lasting use.
- Adjustable cutting height: Depending on the task ahead, you can easily set the cutting height adjustment to your desired length from 3.75 inches to 1.25 inches.
- Excellent maneuverability: Its Zero-turn radius feature allows the user to make changes in direction easy to do.
- Wide cutting edge: Greater width for cutting edges is better for faster mowing.
- Attachments are available: Mulching or bagging features can be easily added
- The warranty is a bit complicated: Clarifying arrangements upon or before the purchase would prevent the hassle of employing warranties should you ever need one in the future.
- No other colour is available: Since red is the only available colour for this unit, you may also look into the Husqvarna MZ61 Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower, which is available in orange and black colours.
In terms of performance, this one is on the top of the list. It has an engine that is proportioned with its body. Although the engine does not allow it to be very fast, it does have a wide cutting deck. This means that you can save time by making lesser passes. With all those things considered, it’s an excellent choice, especially if you are looking for an option that will work well with your small yard. But, if you are planning to use it for commercial or bigger lawns, you might want to reconsider.
- Manufactured by Husqvarna Manufacturing Corporation
- Product Type Lawnmowers 20 Horsepower 27 lbs Product Series
- MZ Custom Yarn Industry Big Rake Cutting Length 54 inches Cutting Width 60 inches Cutting Height 1-3/8 to 4-1/2 inches
- Front Tire Size 20 x 8 – 8 Rear Tire Size 20 x 10 – 8 Service Factor 2 Tires Solid Cast
- Aluminum Wheels Yes Operator Restraints Seat Height Adjustment Self propelled
- No Engine Hydro-Gear EZT 3600 Hydrostatic
- Wheel Size 20 in.
- Blade Dual bladed Spindle Lock.
- Deck Fabricated 11-gauge steel Mulch Capability
- Mulching kit/bagger sold separately Discharge Material Capacity 9 bushels collection system.
- Triples Remarks Mower deck is fabricated from 11 gauge steel cutting width is 60″, height 1 3/8 to 4 1/2″ cutting height.
- Hydrostatic transmission for infinite cutting height adjustment and ease of use.
- 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Endurance Series Engine provides reliable startups
- Turbo deck fabricated 11 gauge steel with welded cross bracing Hydrostatic transmission for infinite cutting height adjustment.
- Hydro-Gear EZT 3600 Hydrostatic Transmission 3 Point Suspension
- Ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat
- High back seat with armrests, foam-padded handgrips Clippings can be discharged.
What is this Product Best For?
The MZ61 zero-turn mower from Husqvarna takes performance, productivity, and comfort to a whole new level. With an intuitive operator interface that’s heavy-duty enough for commercial use, steel frame construction with a hydraulic system that ensures ultimate cutting power no matter what terrain you’re facing – this is one product not BEING overlooked.
Two engines power the MZ61. A 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Endurance Series engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds. At the same time, the fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat.
Clippings can be discharged, mulched, or bagged with a 9-bushel triple bag collection system (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately). A high-back seat with armrests, foam-padded handgrips, and vibration isolation make every ride more comfortable. The MZ61 also features heavy-duty rear axles, disc brakes on all three wheels, adjustable front, and rear caster wheels, and hydrostatic transmission for infinite cutting height adjustment and ease of use.
The lawnmower deck has a welded center cross brace that provides additional strength, durability, and flat surface for mounting optional equipment such as a snowplow. Lawnmowers powered by 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Endurance Series Engine provide reliable startups and high ground speeds. The high-back seat is comfortable, has armrests and foam padded hand grips. It features heavy-duty rear axles, disc brakes on all three wheels, front caster wheel adjustable height, 3 points hydrostatic transmission for infinite cutting height adjustment, and ease of use.
- Zero-Degree Turn Radius: A feature that allows the unit to turn effortlessly with obstructions such as trees and thick bushes.
- Comfortable Steering: The soft and easy grip but powerful steering handle connects powerfully to the machine of the riding lawn mower, which provides easy driving and manoeuvring of the unit.
- Hour Meter with Service Reminder: This has an indicator of the unit’s performance for monitoring and servicing.
- 9 Bushel Collection System: It can load many clippings and grasses to make the job easier.
- Pedal-Assisted Cutting Deck Lift: A comfortable way to adjust your land mowers deck lift.
- Expensive: Should you desire a more economical Riding land mower, you could try the Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 50-Inch Hydrostatic Gas Zero Turn Mower, which has a more economical value.
- The packing is not good: An Arrangement with your supplier would help ensure good packaging to ensure the unit’s safety.
With a rugged, fabricated steel deck that is mulch and collection capable, the MZ is perfect for any property maintenance needs. With high back seats with armrests and adjustable ergonomic steering levers, it’ll be a comfortable ride after time!
- 24 HP engine
- 52-inch cutting width
- 3-blade fabricated mower
- Hydrostatic EZT transmission
- High back seat with armrest
- Made with a solid tubular frame
- Zero-turn design
- DIal-operated cut height
- With advanced airflow
- 7 mph speed
- 2 years limited warranty
What is this Product Best For?
This one is a product best for residential use. However, it has several professional-level features that allow it to provide users with superior performance.
This machine uses a 24 Hp Kohler 700 series engine. One of its features gives it a professional-grade vibe because it has consistent-cut technology and durable components. This means that you can use it for a long time without worrying about it breaking down while on the job.
If you want to finish your mowing job quickly, you will appreciate the 52-inch wide cutting deck on this machine. This deck is made with highly durable 11-gauge steel fabrication that provides optimal airflow. This means that it can withstand even the most challenging mowing conditions without sacrificing the quality of its cuts.
Moreover, in terms of ease of operation, this one is equipped with EZT hydro transmission. This allows a smooth yet responsive transmission. With the 24 hp engine and this transmission, this machine can move forward at a maximum speed of 7 mph, and in reverse, it can go as fast as 4 mph, which can significantly help lessen the time of your mowing tasks.
On top of that, you would also appreciate that this machine has a high back seat. It also comes with an armrest so that your body feels comfortable while operating this machine. Another noteworthy feature of this machine is its dial-operated cutting height. This allows effortless adjustment, especially because this machine has 13 preset cutting height positions ranging between 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches.
- Powerful Engines: It has commercially graded engines which are powerful and durable.
- Comfortable seat: The machine has a high backrest, high-end cushioning system and comes with an armrest.
- Smooth operation: Easy Start-up manoeuvre
- Easy to adjust the cutting height: Whatever your job needs in cutting your grasses, you can easily adjust the cutting height.
- Easy to operate: It has an easy-grip handle and a smooth steering system.
- Powerful engine: The 24 HP Engine power is enough to produce a reliable result for your small backyard mowing activity
- Fast speed: It has a forward speed of 7 mph and 4 mph reverse speed.
- Made with durable material: The unit comprises highly durable 11-gauge steel fabrication that provides optimal airflow while in use.
- Larger tires: It would be easier to venture into the rolling terrain and grooves found in your yard with its large tires. This increases safety for you and infuses lesser damage on your lawn.
- Easy control of power: The unit has a Hydro-Gear EZT transaxle for easier power transmission.
- On the expensive side: The specialized feature of the unit gives the reason for its cost but should you prefer to have a high-quality riding land mower; you can choose the Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 50-Inch Hydrostatic Gas Zero Turn Mower.
- Attachments are sold separately: Compatible attachments that can be added to the features of your riding land mower are easily available online.
Overall, suppose you are looking for premium, professional-grade features in a compact body riding lawnmower. In that case, this is the best choice for you.
- 48-inch cutting width
- Zero-turn design
- 23 Hp engine
- Fully tubular steel frame
- High back seat
- Foot-operated deck
- Self-adjusting belt technology
- 1.5-inch minimum cutting height
- 5-inch maximum cutting height
- 8 mph ground speed
- 2 years limited warranty
What is this Product Best For?
This product is also best for residential use, especially for smaller yards.
Compared to the previously mentioned Ariens model, this one has a slightly less powerful engine with only 23 HP power. However, It’s the same Kohler 700 V-twin engine, so it is almost the same in terms of quality and durability.
The deck durability on this model is also one of the best. Thanks to its construction, it is made with 10-gauge steel. The body of this machine is also made with a fully tubular steel frame allowing it to withstand heavy operation.
Another notable feature of this one is its self-adjusting belt technology. This makes it easy to operate and more convenient to use. Plus, it has a foot-operated deck lift, so that makes it even more efficient. Lastly, its maneuverability is also worth noting. It can be easily used even in small yards.
- Comfortable seat: The unit has cushioned high back seat and padded armrest.
- Easy operation: It has an easy start-up and operating system.
- Decent size cutting: Its deck can cut from 1.5 inches up to 5.0 inches.
- Durable construction: Made up of ten-gauge steel and a fully tubular steel frame, the spindle consists of forged Aluminum and steel.
- Reliable cutting deck: A 5.5 inches deep fabricated deck support this unit.
- Speed: It has a ground speed of 8mph and a reverse speed of 4 mph.
- Easy Lift: The 4 Point Deck lift system gives a hassle-free lift of the mowers deck up and down while remaining rigidly horizontal.
- Belt in place: The constant Belt Tension Technology of the unit prevents a loosened or the coming off of the machine’s belt.
- A bit expensive: The excellent features and comfort as you use the unit are considered for such a price. Still, should you desire another quality land mower at a more affordable price, you can try the Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 50-Inch Hydrostatic Gas Zero Turn Mower.
Overall, this is a good model worth considering if you only plan to use the riding lawn mower on your residence or in small yard projects. However, if you plan on using it on projects with bigger sizes, you might end up disappointed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best riding lawn mower for a small lawn?
The answer to this question depends on how small exactly your lawn is. If it’s very small, then ideally, going for a 20 something inch riding lawn mower is a good choice for you. This will allow you to have enough mobility and portability.
What is the smallest cut riding mower?
The smallest cut riding mower is the Snapper 2911525. It has an 11.5 HP motor, and its cutting deck size is only 28-inches, making it perfect for small to medium-sized lawns. However, if you intend to use it on bigger lawns, it might take you longer compared to using a riding mower with a bigger cutting deck and motor power.
How big of a yard justifies a riding lawn mower?
You can use a riding lawn mower in your yard regardless of its size as long as you are willing to pay extra for it. But, ideally, the rule of the thumb is to use a riding lawn mower for lawns that are ¾ acre to 1-acre since using the push mower version will take a lot of effort and time for these lawn sizes.
What is the most compact riding lawn mower?
The most compact riding lawn mower that you could find is the Snapper 2911525 BVE Classic. Its cutting deck size is only 28-inch, and it has a very compact body, making it easy to store and use regardless of your lawn size.
What is the smallest size riding lawn mower?
The smallest riding lawn mower is also the Snapper 2911525 BVE Classic.
What is the most reliable riding lawn mower?
According to a survey done to 11,217 riding lawn mower owners, John Deere is considered the most reliable brand for riding lawnmowers.
Is John Deere better than Husqvarna?
John Deer and Husqvarna are among the top riding lawn mower brands. Both have excellent features, but John Deer takes an inch in terms of reliability and durability.
What is the best way to cut grass with a riding lawn mower?
The best way to cut grass with a riding lawn mower is to maintain a consistent cutting pattern and only cut ⅓ of the grass blades at a time.
When is the best month to buy a riding lawnmower?
The best time to buy this product is between September and early fall. This is because it’s the time after the hectic summer moving season when the product is in demand.
What is the best riding lawn mower for one acre?
For 1-acre lawns, the best option would be the Husqvarna MZ61 riding mower because it has high efficiency in terms of performance.
There you have it; those are the best riding lawn mower for a small yard. If you notice, most of them don’t have powerful engines, but that’s okay since they are designed for smaller lawns anyway. Moreover, each of them has a zero-turn design allowing them to navigate tight corners easily.