Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start | 6 Top Picks With Reviews
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We recommend using caution and seeking professional advice. This site provides general information. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before taking action based on anything you read or see.
Having a well-maintained front yard is an excellent way to enhance your home’s overall appearance and value. However, as many know, mowing the lawn can be a tedious and time-consuming chore, especially without help. One best self propelled lawn mower electric start is the solution.
Fortunately, there are now self-propelled lawnmowers, like the Greenworks 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, that can make this once-taxing chore more manageable and efficient. Still, it can be tough to find a suitable lawnmower model that fits your needs and preferences, especially considering just how many models are available these days.
This is why we have compiled a list of the top 6 models for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start on the market to help you out. We’ll be covering everything you need to know – from their unique features to what you need to look for when choosing one – in this article.
So, if you want to learn more, check out our list and see which one suits your yard the best.
Why Trust Home Affluence Reviews
We spend thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. Our review process is made in good faith to benefit your purchase. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and all opinions about the products are our own. Read more.
6 Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start Comparison Table
What to Look For In the Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start
To have a better idea of what is the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start; these are the features that you should look for:
Self Propelling Feature
The self-propelled features on these lawnmowers are either front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive.
It is best to opt for a rear-wheel-drive lawnmower since these have more traction that cans effortlessly transverse hilly lawns. On the other hand, if your lawn is generally flat, opting for a front-wheel self-propelling feature is your best option.
You should also pay attention to the electric start feature on the self-propelled lawnmower. Ideally, these should be a push-button start so that it is effortless to turn on and off.
There are also some electric start features wherein you need to use a key like starting a car. If you don’t mind that, going for that option is a good idea.
The lawn mower’s engine power ensures that tough grass will be cut effortlessly. By looking at its HP rating, you will know how powerful the lawnmower engine is. You should go for 14 to 16
HP engines for self-propelled lawn mowers are for consistent and reliable cutting performance.
Long Battery Life
Self-propelled lawn mowers are mostly cordless units which means that you have to pay attention to the battery capacity. Typically, self-propelled lawn mowers’ battery life is around 40 to 60 minutes.
If you find one with longer battery life than that, that is already superior. But, most lawn mowers with longer battery life are also heavier, which might affect their navigation.
Multiple Cutting Positions
The cutting position refers to the height adjustability of the grass cutting. The more positions available, the better it is. This is because there might be a time when you want your grass to be tall yet beautifully manicured. Meanwhile, you might also want to cut it short so that you don’t have to mow it again immediately.
Wide Cutting Width
You can determine a self-propelled lawn mower’s lawn cutting speed based on its cutting width. The wider the cutting width, the faster the moving process will be.
However, if your lawn has plenty of curves, it would be difficult to make precise cuts with a self-propelled lawnmower that has a wide cutting width.
Key Considerations for Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start
Before buying a self-propelled lawn mower electric start, you must first think about the following factors so that you can find the best fit for your needs:
When buying a self-propelled lawnmower, your top consideration must be your lawn size. If you have a very big lawn, you need to choose a self-propelled lawnmower with long battery life.
You wouldn’t want to stop mid-way only because you ran out of batteries. If you do, the results will not be as nice and even as you want them to be.
You also have to think about your lawn terrain. If it’s hilly, then you should go for a self-propelled lawnmower that is lightweight because it’s easier to move around. But, if your lawn is mostly flat, then this won’t be an issue.
Self-propelled lawn mowers are bulky equipment, so they usually consume a lot of storage space. This is why if you don’t have a lot of extra space in your shed or house, you should look for a self-propelled lawnmower with a space-saving design.
Their space-propelled lawn mowers are designed for vertical storage. Some also have folding handles to collapse when not in use, saving you a lot of valuable storage space.
Aside from looking for a self-propelled lawnmower with long battery life, you should also consider how fast the batteries charge. Ideally, go for those with a fast-charging option.
A self-propelled lawnmower with backup battery packs would also be nice. This is more convenient and hassle-free, but extra battery packs are usually not included in the package, so you might need to pay for it on top of the cost of the lawnmower unit.
Overall Features of Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start
You will notice that self-propelled lawn mowers electric start has some common features. This include
Self-propelled lawn mower electric start is battery-powered. The most commonly used batteries in it are lithium-ion batteries. This is different from regular lithium batteries because they can be reused and recharged hundreds of times.
Alloy Steel Material
Alloy steel is a rust-resistant material, making it suitable for outdoor use such as lawn mowing. It is also a durable material. Most of all, an alloy is not as heavy as stainless steel. This can slightly help improve the maneuverability of the lawnmower because it does not require that much power to push forward.
14 inch to 21 inch Cutting Width
It’s also quite common to see self-propelled lawn mowers with cuttings between 14 inches and 21 inches. Usually, those with wider cutting widths are more expensive. However, that won’t be a problem if your lawn is not that big.
Grass Clipping Collection Bag
The grass-clipping collection bag catches the cut grass. This will help you save time from cleaning it afterward. These bags are typically already included with the unit, but there are some that you have to purchase separately.
Most of the grass clipping collection bags have 3-in-1 applications. Aside from catching clippings, it can also be used for side discharge and mulching.
The majority of the self-propelled lawn mowers are also equipped with brushless motors.
Brushed motors use a wound of wire coils as a two-pole electromagnet. On the other hand, the brushless motors use a permanent magnet for their external rotor. As a result, brushless motors have better adaptability, produce less heat, and generate no friction, allowing better performance.
Product Reviews of 6 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start
- Made from high-quality alloy steel
- Features the company’s SmartPace™ Automatic Drive system
- Comes with a push start button
- Has easy folding handles for vertical storage
- Comes with a 3-in-1 grass collection bag
- Features two 10-inch rear wheels and two 8-inch front wheels
- With a brushless motor for additional torque and power
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Features 7 cutting positions
- Comes with two 40V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries and a charger
- Has a run time of 70 minutes when fully charged
- Quiet operation with long-lasting battery life
First on our list is the Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, one of the brand’s top self-propelled lawn mowers in their lineup.
It boasts of a powerful engine that, when combined with its brushless motor, allows it to deliver incredible power, speed, and efficiency every time you mow your lawn. The motor is also capable of producing two times more torque than your regular electric lawnmowers.
Because of this, you can enjoy a longer running time with less noise and more power each time. This lawnmower also comes with two pieces of 4.0Ah lithium-ion batteries that allow it to run up to 70 minutes on a single charge.
Its durable 21-inch steel cutting deck enables you to cut a width of 21 inches at a time, allowing you to cover more ground and finish mowing the grass more quickly. You can also adjust your cutting heights to 7 positions, ensuring your yard’s grass is as well-maintained as possible.
It also comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag that allows you to collect grass clippings and serve as a convenient point for a side discharge or mulching bag should you need it.
Although it’s heavier than your usual lawnmower, it’s still easy enough to maneuver, thanks to the company’s SmartPace™ Automatic Drive system that allows it to adapt to your walking speed whenever you use it.
- Long Battery Life – You can mow a lot of grass because the battery life lasts up to 70 minutes on a single charge which is considerably long given that some can only last for 40 minutes.
- Hassle-Free Grass Collection- It has a 3-in-1 grass collection bag that makes it easy to clean after mowing.
- Excellent Performance – You can expect satisfactory and consistent performance with this self-propelled lawnmower, thanks to its powerful motor and high-quality parts.
- Durable – This self-propelled lawnmower is made with premium quality components that are long-lasting.
- Space-saving – It has a vertical storage feature, so it won’t take much of your valuable real estate when it’s not used.
- Heavy – This machine is on the heavier side, requiring a bit more power to push. But, it does have big wheels, allowing it to overcome obstacles like pavements effortlessly. This is not a problem with the Greenworks 21-Inch Self-Propelled Electric Lawn Mower.
- Difficult to Fold- It does come with a folding mechanism so that it does not consume plenty of space when stored, but it’s difficult to use, which can be a hassle. This is not the case with Litheli 40V 17-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.
This fantastic self-propelled lawnmower from Greenworks can be an excellent choice if you’re looking for something that offers a powerful and long-lasting performance but is still easy enough to use.
It has all the features you’ll need to make cutting the grass in your front yard more convenient, manageable, and efficient.
- Made from high-quality alloy steel materials
- Features an intelligent load-sensing technology
- Comes with a push-start button
- Has 7 cutting height positions
- Features a brushless motor with 1,000 to 1,200-watt efficiency
- Comes with two 82V 2Ah Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion batteries
- Has a 3-in-1 grass collection bag for clippings, mulching, and side discharge
- Has variable speed transmission
- Features a vertical storage design
- Has a run time of 45 minutes on a single charge
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Comes with two 10-inch rear wheels
If you’re looking for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start that’s built with durability in mind, this specific model from Snapper can be your best bet.
It is constructed with high-quality alloy steel; this self-propelled lawnmower is designed to withstand the wear and tear of regular use, as well as frequent exposure to the elements.
It also has an impressive brushless motor that offers a powerful performance every time and energy efficiency. This model also has a unique load-sensing technology that automatically adjusts itself and matches the cutting blades’ demand.
The blades themselves have a cutting width capacity of 21 inches, so you can cover more ground every time you mow your lawn. You can easily adjust the cutting height to 7 different positions using a single lever.
When it comes to the batteries, this self-propelled lawn mower comes with two 82V 2Ah Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion batteries that can power the machine up to 45 minutes on a single charge. It also has a 3-in-1 design for its grass collection bag, so you can conveniently use it for mulching, collecting grass clippings, and discharging the clippings from the side. It may not run as long as other models, but its powerful and efficient performance is enough to handle most yards.
- Easy to Maneuver – This has a speed variable transmission that allows you to control its maneuverability better.
- Self Adjusting – It has a feature that automatically adjusts itself with the cutting blade’s demands so that you don’t have to make complicated tweaks.
- Wide Cutting Width – The wide cutting width allows you to cover more area in each pass so that you can quickly finish your task.
- Space-Saving Design – It has a vertical storage design, allowing you to save valuable storage space.
- Convenient Multipurpose Collection Bag – The collection bag is super easy to attach and detach. At the same time, it also has multiple applications.
- Low Battery Capacity: It can only run for 45 minutes, so it is not ideal for larger lawns. If you want a self-propelled lawnmower with higher battery capacity, check out the Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.
Overall, the Snapper Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start for those looking for something that can offer a powerful performance without using too much energy to do so. Its batteries may not pack as much juice as other lawnmowers, but it can still be enough, especially if you don’t have a large yard.
- Constructed with high-quality alloy steel
- Features a brushless motor for two times the torque and power
- Comes with a variable speed rear-wheel drive system
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Features a single 40V 5Ah lithium-ion battery
- Can continuously operate for up to 45 minutes on a single charge
- Features a 3-in-1 collection bag for grass clippings, mulching, and side discharge
- Has a dual-battery port for extra battery storage
- It can be configured to 7 cutting height positions
- Has a push-start button
- Comes with an automatic switch-over function for continuous power
- Features collapsible handles
The next model on our list is another one from Greenworks. Like our first pick, this model comes with a powerful brushless motor that enables it to produce two times the torque and power so that you can enjoy seamless grass-cutting with more efficiency and less noise than usual.
However, unlike the other self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks, this one has a more lightweight design, weighing only around 22 lbs. This makes it easier to maneuver since you don’t exert too much force when mowing your lawn.
It also has a 21-inch cutting width capacity, as well as seven cutting height positions, so you can cover as much ground as you possibly can while ensuring that your yard’s grass is cut at just the right length.
This model is powered by a single 40V 5Ah lithium-ion battery, allowing it to operate continuously for 45 minutes with just a single charge. However, it has a dual-battery port, so you can store an extra battery there, requiring fewer trips to the house for another one.
It also has a variable speed rear-wheel drive along with its self-propelled drive system, so it’s easier to maneuver on any terrain. This model also comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag that allows you to use it for mulching, collecting grass cuttings, and side discharging.
While the minimal battery life can pose some challenges, it still manages to deliver exceptional lawnmowing performance.
- Lightweight Design – The lightweight design makes it easier to push and control.
- Durable Construction – It is made with high-quality materials designed to last for a long time so that you get value for your money.
- Wide Cutting Width – It has a 21-inch cutting width for quicker mowing time.
- Rear Wheel Drive – Its rear-wheel drive allows it to mow lawns even if it has uneven terrain effortlessly.
- Two-battery Port – The dual battery port gives you more work time. Simply replace the drained battery, and you are ready to go again.
- Short Battery Life – Despite having 2 battery ports, the battery life is still short. You will get a longer-lasting battery life with the Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower or EGO Power+ 56V 21-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.
- Inconsistent Cutting Height – This has trouble maintaining the grass cutting height. If this is a deal-breaker for you, the Snapper 21-Inch Self-Propelled Walk Mower Kit might be a better option.
If you have a small yard, this self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks can be an excellent choice. Not only is it lightweight and easy enough to maneuver, but it also has several convenient features that will allow you to mow the lawn as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Comes with a powerful engine and efficient brushless motor
- Constructed with high-quality weather-resistant materials
- Has built-in LED lights for visibility
- Comes with two 56V 5Ah lithium-ion batteries
- Can operate for up to 80 minutes on a single charge
- Features 6 different cutting height positions
- With a convenient lever for one-handed adjustments
- Has a variable speed self-propelling drive system
- Has a cutting width capacity of 21 inches
- Features the brand’s PeakPower technology
- Comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag
- Has a 5-year warranty for the tool itself
Suppose you have a larger yard and need a self-propelled lawnmower with enough power to cover the entire area without running out of juice halfway. In that case, the EGO Power+ 56V 21-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be an excellent choice.
This model boasts a powerful engine and brushless motor that allows you to enjoy all the perks of a gas-powered lawnmower but without the fumes, noise, or refueling. Aside from that, it also has two impressive 56V 5Ah lithium-ion batteries that allow it to operate continuously for up to 80 minutes on a single charge.
With this much power, you can easily cut the grass in your large yard without worrying about having to stop and recharge midway. It also has a 21-inch cutting width with six different cutting height positions, so lawnmowing is easier than ever.
It also has a variable-speed self-propelling drive system, so it can easily match your pace every time. The 3-in-1 collection bag also comes in handy since it serves multiple purposes. Lastly, it has built-in LED lights so that you can see more clearly when mowing the lawn at dusk or dawn. Although the cuts can sometimes be uneven, this can still be an excellent choice if you want something powerful and longer battery life.
- Long-lasting Battery – It can last up to 80 minutes on a single charge, allowing you to cover more ground.
- Powerful Performance – Thanks to its powerful motor, you can get similar performance as a gas-powered mower with this one.
- Quiet Operation – Despite its strong engine, it has a quiet operation, so you won’t be distributing your neighbors, and you can mow in peace.
- Excellent Maneuverability – It has a variable speed drive system, enabling you to have better control with its maneuverability.
- Good Visibility Even in Low-Light – Suppose you tend to mow when the sunlight is already fading. In that case, there’s no need to worry because this allows you to have good visibility even in low-light settings.
- Heavy – It weighs almost 90 lbs which are quite heavy. If you want a lightweight option, the Greenworks 21-Inch Self-Propelled Electric Lawn Mower is a good alternative.
- Uneven Grass Cutting – It has issues cutting grass evenly. You will not experience this with the Snapper 21-Inch Self-Propelled Walk Mower Kit.
Overall, this mower from EGO Power+ can be the perfect choice for homeowners with larger yards since it has enough battery and cutting width capacities to cover a vast amount of ground in one go. It also has one of the most powerful engines around, although it operates relatively quietly.
- Features a highly efficient brushless motor
- Can deliver a cutting speed of up to 3900 rpm
- Features 5 different cutting height positions
- Has a high-capacity grass collection bag
- Comes with a built-in circuit breaker for safety
- Features a single 20V 4Ah high-capacity lithium-ion battery
- Can operate up to 40 minutes on a single full charge
- Has a cutting width capacity of 13 inches
- Constructed with two foldable handles for storage
- Features a two-step start
- Designed with two battery compartments for extra storage
- Can be charged in just an hour
The Litheli 13-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be ideal for homeowners with limited storage space. It has a compact and foldable design that allows you to store it easily whenever it’s not in use.
Moreover, it’s lightweight and easy enough to operate, so you won’t need to exert as much force when mowing your lawn. It also has four 6-inch wheels in the front and rear, adding to its easy maneuverability.
It only has a 13-inch cutting width capacity, so it’s not suitable for large yards, especially since it only has a 20V 4Ah battery and can operate for up to 40 minutes on a single charge.
However, this is perfect if you have a smaller yard since it still delivers a powerful performance, thanks to its high-efficiency brushless motor. It also has five different cutting height positions, so you can easily adjust it to your liking.
While the bag itself only collects grass cuttings, it has a large enough capacity at 9 gallons, so you don’t have to keep emptying it midway. Lastly, it also comes with several safety features, such as a circuit breaker, overheating protection, and overcharging protection.
- Compact Design – It has a slim design. It does not consume a lot of space, and it can be easily tucked away in the corner of your shed when not used.
- Includes Safety Features – It has a built-in circuit breaker in case there’s any mishap during its operation.
- Large Capacity Grass Collection Bag – The large bag capacity is very convenient because you don’t have to empty it constantly.
- Easy to Operate – The controls are very easy to figure out, so it does not have a steep learning curve.
- Short Battery Life – The battery life lasts only 40 minutes, so you won’t have much time to cover a wide lawn. If you want one with longer battery life, the EGO Power+ 56V 21-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is a good choice.
- Less Sturdy Wheels -The wheels feel a little flimsy, so they might not last long when you use them on uneven terrain. But, the Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower has sturdy wheels.
If you have a small yard and limited storage space, this self-propelled lawn mower from Litheli can be the ideal choice. It’s not as powerful or large as some of the other models on this list, but it’s more than enough for mowing a small lawn without exerting too much effort or force.
- Features a powerful, high-efficiency brushless motor
- Can cut at speeds of up to 3700rpm
- Has six different cutting height positions
- Comes with two 20V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries
- Can operate for up to 40 minutes on one charge
- Has a cutting width capacity of 17 inches
- Comes with several safety features: circuit breaker, overheating protection, overcharging protection
- Has a large-capacity 10-gallon grass collection bag
- Comes with foldable handles for storage
- Features a two-step start design
- Has two 6-inch front wheels and two 7-inch rear wheels
- Can be charged in an hour
Last but not least, we have this 17-Inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower model from Litheli. This one is slightly bigger than the previous selection, capable of covering a cutting width of up to 17 inches.
It also features six different cutting height positions, allowing you to have the perfect height when cutting your lawn’s grass. Its high-efficiency brushless motor also enables it to deliver powerful cutting performance at high speeds.
Although it comes with two 20V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries, this lawn mower can only continuously operate for up to 40 hours on a single charge. However, you can quickly recharge it in an hour with its high-capacity charger. What’s notable is that it has three impressive safety features that help extend its lifespan and overall durability. While it only has a grass collection bag for the cuttings, it has a large capacity of 10 gallons, so you don’t have to keep emptying it while mowing the lawn.
- Foldable Design – It can be easily folded when not used, so it does not consume a lot of storage space.
- Lightweight – It is made with lightweight yet durable material, so it’s super easy to maneuver.
- Fast Charging – The batteries can charge quickly, so you don’t have to wait long before you can use it again, thanks to its high-capacity charger.
- Large Collection Bag – The collection bag can hold a large quantity of grass, so you don’t have to empty it all the time.
- Short Battery Life – The battery life is only 40 minutes. If you want a longer-lasting battery, check out the EGO Power+ 56V 21-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.
- Plastic Wheels – The wheels are not very durable. The Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is a better option if you want better quality wheels.
If you’re looking for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start that’s slightly bigger than their 13-inch model, this 17-inch version from Litheli can be a perfect choice.
It delivers the same high-efficiency performance, easy maneuverability, and compact design while covering more ground, thanks to its 17-inch cutting width capacity.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re still unsure regarding self-propelled lawn mowers with an electric start, you can check out the following FAQs to learn more.
Are electric start lawn mowers worth it?
The answer depends mostly on what you’re looking for in a mower, but generally, yes, they can be worth it. They allow you to enjoy reliable startups every time and make the process of lawn mowing as efficient as possible.
Can you pull start an electric start mower?
Yes, you can. Even with an electric start function, many lawnmowers still have an option for a pull-start mechanism that allows you to start the engine manually.
What are electric start lawn mowers?
Electric start lawn mowers are lawnmower models that use an electric starter to turn on the engine instead of the typical pull-cord mechanism.
Is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive better for a lawnmower?
It depends on what you need and want, but rear-wheel drive offers more traction for mowing and allows you to cut the grass in a straight line. However, front-wheel models are less costly and easier to maneuver.
How much do gas-powered lawn mowers cost?
That depends on what type of lawnmower you want. Manual push-start gas-powered lawnmowers can typically cost anywhere from 140 USD to more than 500 USD. Of course, they tend to be more expensive with more advanced features, like with self-propelled models.
Can you adjust the speed on a self-propelled lawnmower?
Yes, you can. However, this requires a bit of adjustment, as most personal-use self-propelled lawnmowers these days don’t have adjustable speed control to make it easier to manage.
Why should you consider a gas-powered lawnmower?
Gas-powered lawnmowers make it easier for you to cut through tougher lawns without exerting too much effort. Moreover, they tend to last longer than electric-powered ones since they’re designed with durability in mind.
What are self-propelled lawnmowers?
These are similar to your regular push lawnmowers, although the difference is they have a built-in drive system that enables them to move forward on their own.
Mowing your lawn can be made easier and more convenient when you have a self-propelled lawnmower. Not only does it reduce the effort and force you need to exert to finish the job, but they also give you more flexibility, thanks to their cordless nature.
With that said, we hope this list has helped you find the most suitable self-propelled mower with an electric start for your needs.