Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start | 6 Top Picks With Reviews
Having a well-maintained front yard is an excellent way to enhance your home’s overall appearance and value. However, as many know, mowing the lawn can be a tedious and time-consuming chore, especially without help. One best self propelled lawn mower electric start is the solution.
Fortunately, there are now self-propelled lawnmowers, like the Greenworks 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, that can make this once-taxing chore more manageable and efficient. Still, it can be tough to find a suitable lawnmower model that fits your needs and preferences, especially considering just how many models are available these days.
This is why we have compiled a list of the top 6 models for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start on the market to help you out. We’ll be covering everything you need to know – from their unique features to what you need to look for when choosing one – in this article.
So, if you want to learn more, check out our list and see which one suits your yard the best.
6 Self Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start Comparison Table
Product Reviews for the 6 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start
- Made from high-quality alloy steel
- Features the company’s SmartPace™ Automatic Drive system
- Comes with a push start button
- Has easy folding handles for vertical storage
- Comes with a 3-in-1 grass collection bag
- Features two 10-inch rear wheels and two 8-inch front wheels
- With a brushless motor for additional torque and power
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Features 7 cutting positions
- Comes with two 40V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries and a charger
- Has a run time of 70 minutes when fully charged
- Quiet operation with long-lasting battery life
First on our list is the Greenworks 40V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, one of the brand’s top self-propelled lawn mowers in their lineup.
It boasts of a powerful engine that, when combined with its brushless motor, allows it to deliver incredible power, speed, and efficiency every time you mow your lawn. The motor is also capable of producing two times more torque than your regular electric lawnmowers.
Because of this, you can enjoy a longer running time with less noise and more power each time. This lawnmower also comes with two pieces of 4.0Ah lithium-ion batteries that allow it to run up to 70 minutes on a single charge.
Its durable 21-inch steel cutting deck enables you to cut a width of 21 inches at a time, allowing you to cover more ground and finish mowing the grass more quickly. You can also adjust your cutting heights to 7 positions, ensuring your yard’s grass is as well-maintained as possible.
It also comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag that allows you to collect grass clippings and serve as a convenient point for a side discharge or mulching bag should you need it.
Although it’s heavier than your usual lawnmower, it’s still easy enough to maneuver, thanks to the company’s SmartPace™ Automatic Drive system that allows it to adapt to your walking speed whenever you use it.
- Can operate for up to 70 minutes on a single charge
- It can easily match your walking speed
- Convenient 3-in-1 grass collection bag design
- Can cover a wide cutting width
- Designed for convenient and space-saving vertical storage
- Delivers excellent performance every time
- Offers long-lasting durability
- Heavier than your usual electric lawnmowers
- It can be tricky to fold and unfold before and after use
This fantastic self-propelled lawnmower from Greenworks can be an excellent choice if you’re looking for something that offers a powerful and long-lasting performance but is still easy enough to use.
It has all the features you’ll need to make cutting the grass in your front yard more convenient, manageable, and efficient.
- Made from high-quality alloy steel materials
- Features an intelligent load-sensing technology
- Comes with a push-start button
- Has 7 cutting height positions
- Features a brushless motor with 1,000 to 1,200-watt efficiency
- Comes with two 82V 2Ah Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion batteries
- Has a 3-in-1 grass collection bag for clippings, mulching, and side discharge
- Has variable speed transmission
- Features a vertical storage design
- Has a run time of 45 minutes on a single charge
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Comes with two 10-inch rear wheels
If you’re looking for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start that’s built with durability in mind, this specific model from Snapper can be your best bet.
It is constructed with high-quality alloy steel; this self-propelled lawnmower is designed to withstand the wear and tear of regular use, as well as frequent exposure to the elements.
It also has an impressive brushless motor that offers a powerful performance every time and energy efficiency. This model also has a unique load-sensing technology that automatically adjusts itself and matches the cutting blades’ demand.
The blades themselves have a cutting width capacity of 21 inches, so you can cover more ground every time you mow your lawn. You can easily adjust the cutting height to 7 different positions using a single lever.
When it comes to the batteries, this self-propelled lawn mower comes with two 82V 2Ah Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion batteries that can power the machine up to 45 minutes on a single charge. It also has a 3-in-1 design for its grass collection bag, so you can conveniently use it for mulching, collecting grass clippings, and discharging the clippings from the side. It may not run as long as other models, but its powerful and efficient performance is enough to handle most yards.
- It is highly efficient and easy to maneuver
- Comes with high-capacity batteries with long-lasting durability
- Can adjust itself to meet the cutting blades’ demands
- Can cover a broader range when cutting
- Has a convenient multipurpose collection bag
- Delivers power, speed, and energy-efficiency
- Features a space-saving design for convenient storage
- Has a lower running capacity at 45 minutes maximum
- Doesn’t mulch as well as other models
Overall, the Snapper Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start for those looking for something that can offer a powerful performance without using too much energy to do so. Its batteries may not pack as much juice as other lawnmowers, but it can still be enough, especially if you don’t have a large yard.
- Constructed with high-quality alloy steel
- Features a brushless motor for two times the torque and power
- Comes with a variable speed rear-wheel drive system
- Has a 21-inch cutting width capacity
- Features a single 40V 5Ah lithium-ion battery
- Can continuously operate for up to 45 minutes on a single charge
- Features a 3-in-1 collection bag for grass clippings, mulching, and side discharge
- Has a dual-battery port for extra battery storage
- It can be configured to 7 cutting height positions
- Has a push-start button
- Comes with an automatic switch-over function for continuous power
- Features collapsible handles
The next model on our list is another one from Greenworks. Like our first pick, this model comes with a powerful brushless motor that enables it to produce two times the torque and power so that you can enjoy seamless grass-cutting with more efficiency and less noise than usual.
However, unlike the other self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks, this one has a more lightweight design, weighing only around 22 lbs. This makes it easier to maneuver since you don’t exert too much force when mowing your lawn.
It also has a 21-inch cutting width capacity, as well as seven cutting height positions, so you can cover as much ground as you possibly can while ensuring that your yard’s grass is cut at just the right length.
This model is powered by a single 40V 5Ah lithium-ion battery, allowing it to operate continuously for 45 minutes with just a single charge. However, it has a dual-battery port, so you can store an extra battery there, requiring fewer trips to the house for another one.
It also has a variable speed rear-wheel drive along with its self-propelled drive system, so it’s easier to maneuver on any terrain. This model also comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag that allows you to use it for mulching, collecting grass cuttings, and side discharging.
While the minimal battery life can pose some challenges, it still manages to deliver exceptional lawnmowing performance.
- Solid and highly durable construction
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Convenient two-battery port design
- Has a wide cutting width for efficiency
- Features a dual-battery port for extra battery storage
- Comes with a rear-wheel-drive system for different terrains
- It can be stored vertically for convenience
- Limited battery life, even with a spare battery
- Has difficulty maintaining an even cutting height
If you have a small yard, this self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks can be an excellent choice. Not only is it lightweight and easy enough to maneuver, but it also has several convenient features that will allow you to mow the lawn as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Comes with a powerful engine and efficient brushless motor
- Constructed with high-quality weather-resistant materials
- Has built-in LED lights for visibility
- Comes with two 56V 5Ah lithium-ion batteries
- Can operate for up to 80 minutes on a single charge
- Features 6 different cutting height positions
- With a convenient lever for one-handed adjustments
- Has a variable speed self-propelling drive system
- Has a cutting width capacity of 21 inches
- Features the brand’s PeakPower technology
- Comes with a 3-in-1 collection bag
- Has a 5-year warranty for the tool itself
Suppose you have a larger yard and need a self-propelled lawnmower with enough power to cover the entire area without running out of juice halfway. In that case, the EGO Power+ 56V 21-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be an excellent choice.
This model boasts a powerful engine and brushless motor that allows you to enjoy all the perks of a gas-powered lawnmower but without the fumes, noise, or refueling. Aside from that, it also has two impressive 56V 5Ah lithium-ion batteries that allow it to operate continuously for up to 80 minutes on a single charge.
With this much power, you can easily cut the grass in your large yard without worrying about having to stop and recharge midway. It also has a 21-inch cutting width with six different cutting height positions, so lawnmowing is easier than ever.
It also has a variable-speed self-propelling drive system, so it can easily match your pace every time. The 3-in-1 collection bag also comes in handy since it serves multiple purposes. Lastly, it has built-in LED lights so that you can see more clearly when mowing the lawn at dusk or dawn. Although the cuts can sometimes be uneven, this can still be an excellent choice if you want something powerful and longer battery life.
- High-capacity batteries with up to 80 minutes worth of power
- Delivers powerful gas-like performance without the issues
- Can cover a lot of ground on a single charge
- Operates quietly
- Features a variable-speed drive system for better maneuverability
- Offers better visibility in low-light situations
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Tends to cut the grass unevenly
- A bit heavy at almost 90 lbs.
Overall, this mower from EGO Power+ can be the perfect choice for homeowners with larger yards since it has enough battery and cutting width capacities to cover a vast amount of ground in one go. It also has one of the most powerful engines around, although it operates relatively quietly.
- Features a highly efficient brushless motor
- Can deliver a cutting speed of up to 3900 rpm
- Features 5 different cutting height positions
- Has a high-capacity grass collection bag
- Comes with a built-in circuit breaker for safety
- Features a single 20V 4Ah high-capacity lithium-ion battery
- Can operate up to 40 minutes on a single full charge
- Has a cutting width capacity of 13 inches
- Constructed with two foldable handles for storage
- Features a two-step start
- Designed with two battery compartments for extra storage
- Can be charged in just an hour
The Litheli 13-Inch Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower can be ideal for homeowners with limited storage space. It has a compact and foldable design that allows you to store it easily whenever it’s not in use.
Moreover, it’s lightweight and easy enough to operate, so you won’t need to exert as much force when mowing your lawn. It also has four 6-inch wheels in the front and rear, adding to its easy maneuverability.
It only has a 13-inch cutting width capacity, so it’s not suitable for large yards, especially since it only has a 20V 4Ah battery and can operate for up to 40 minutes on a single charge.
However, this is perfect if you have a smaller yard since it still delivers a powerful performance, thanks to its high-efficiency brushless motor. It also has five different cutting height positions, so you can easily adjust it to your liking.
While the bag itself only collects grass cuttings, it has a large enough capacity at 9 gallons, so you don’t have to keep emptying it midway. Lastly, it also comes with several safety features, such as a circuit breaker, overheating protection, and overcharging protection.
- Easy to maneuver on different terrains
- Has a compact and space-saving design for easier storage
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- Perfect for smaller yards
- Features 5 different cutting height positions
- Comes with several safety features
- Has a high-capacity grass collection bag
- Short battery life
- Less sturdy wheels
If you have a small yard and limited storage space, this self-propelled lawn mower from Litheli can be the ideal choice. It’s not as powerful or large as some of the other models on this list, but it’s more than enough for mowing a small lawn without exerting too much effort or force.
- Features a powerful, high-efficiency brushless motor
- Can cut at speeds of up to 3700rpm
- Has six different cutting height positions
- Comes with two 20V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries
- Can operate for up to 40 minutes on one charge
- Has a cutting width capacity of 17 inches
- Comes with several safety features: circuit breaker, overheating protection, overcharging protection
- Has a large-capacity 10-gallon grass collection bag
- Comes with foldable handles for storage
- Features a two-step start design
- Has two 6-inch front wheels and two 7-inch rear wheels
- Can be charged in an hour
Last but not least, we have this 17-Inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower model from Litheli. This one is slightly bigger than the previous selection, capable of covering a cutting width of up to 17 inches.
It also features six different cutting height positions, allowing you to have the perfect height when cutting your lawn’s grass. Its high-efficiency brushless motor also enables it to deliver powerful cutting performance at high speeds.
Although it comes with two 20V 4Ah lithium-ion batteries, this lawn mower can only continuously operate for up to 40 hours on a single charge. However, you can quickly recharge it in an hour with its high-capacity charger. What’s notable is that it has three impressive safety features that help extend its lifespan and overall durability. While it only has a grass collection bag for the cuttings, it has a large capacity of 10 gallons, so you don’t have to keep emptying it while mowing the lawn.
- Easy to store with its foldable design
- Lightweight for easier maneuverability
- Can cut the grass at incredibly high speeds
- Quickly recharges with its high-capacity charger
- Comes with a large-capacity collection bag
- Has various safety features for additional protection and durability
- Works well on any terrain
- Short battery life at 40 minutes maximum
- Wheels are made from plastic
If you’re looking for the best self-propelled lawn mower electric start that’s slightly bigger than their 13-inch model, this 17-inch version from Litheli can be a perfect choice.
It delivers the same high-efficiency performance, easy maneuverability, and compact design while covering more ground, thanks to its 17-inch cutting width capacity.
Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Electric Start Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to self-propelled lawnmowers, there are a few things you need to consider and look out for. After all, you’ll want to ensure that your chosen model offers the best possible performance and suits your needs.
So, what do you need to look for in a self-propelled lawnmower?
Ease of Use
When it comes to these tools, the first aspect you need to consider is their ease of use. After all, mowing the lawn isn’t the most appealing chore on the list. Hence, a lawnmower that can make it more manageable and efficient is always welcome.
So, make sure that your lawnmower model of choice is easy enough to assemble and use so that you can mow your yard as quickly as possible.
When you’re choosing a self-propelled lawnmower with an electric start, one of the essential aspects you need to consider is its battery life. In this case, it’s best to consider a lawnmower model that has enough battery capacity to help you mow your entire lawn without needing to stop and recharge the battery halfway through the process.
Most self-propelled lawnmowers with an electric start can typically run between 30 to 45 minutes on a single charge. This is enough to cover most small- to medium-sized lawns. Of course, other models can continuously run for 70 to 80 minutes, making them perfect for mowing larger yards.
Cutting Width Capacity
Your lawnmower’s cutting width capacity is another essential consideration since it can affect several aspects of your chosen lawnmower, such as its overall size and the amount of ground it can cover.
If you have a larger lawn, a self-propelled lawnmower with a cutting width capacity of at least 21 inches can be the ideal choice. However, these models tend to be heavier and bulkier than smaller models.
Size and Weight
Even if it’s self-propelled, you still need to consider your chosen model’s size and weight since these can impact how easy it will be to maneuver and store. You also need to consider features like foldable handles and vertical storage capacity, mainly if you have limited storage space.
Grass Clipping Management
Most lawn mowers come with a cutting deck or grass collection bag that determines just where your yard’s grass clippings go while you mow the lawn. Fortunately, most self-propelled lawn mowers come with a 3-in-1 bag design so that you can enjoy the benefits of mulching, side-discharging, and grass clipping collecting with just one system.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re still unsure regarding self-propelled lawn mowers with an electric start, you can check out the following FAQs to learn more.
Are electric start lawn mowers worth it?
The answer depends mostly on what you’re looking for in a mower, but generally, yes, they can be worth it. They allow you to enjoy reliable startups every time and make the process of lawn mowing as efficient as possible.
Can you pull start an electric start mower?
Yes, you can. Even with an electric start function, many lawnmowers still have an option for a pull-start mechanism that allows you to start the engine manually.
What are electric start lawn mowers?
Electric start lawn mowers are lawnmower models that use an electric starter to turn on the engine instead of the typical pull-cord mechanism.
Is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive better for a lawnmower?
It depends on what you need and want, but rear-wheel drive offers more traction for mowing and allows you to cut the grass in a straight line. However, front-wheel models are less costly and easier to maneuver.
How much do gas-powered lawn mowers cost?
That depends on what type of lawnmower you want. Manual push-start gas-powered lawnmowers can typically cost anywhere from 140 USD to more than 500 USD. Of course, they tend to be more expensive with more advanced features, like with self-propelled models.
Can you adjust the speed on a self-propelled lawnmower?
Yes, you can. However, this requires a bit of adjustment, as most personal-use self-propelled lawnmowers these days don’t have adjustable speed control to make it easier to manage.
Why should you consider a gas-powered lawnmower?
Gas-powered lawnmowers make it easier for you to cut through tougher lawns without exerting too much effort. Moreover, they tend to last longer than electric-powered ones since they’re designed with durability in mind.
What are self-propelled lawnmowers?
These are similar to your regular push lawnmowers, although the difference is they have a built-in drive system that enables them to move forward on their own.
Mowing your lawn can be made easier and more convenient when you have a self-propelled lawnmower. Not only does it reduce the effort and force you need to exert to finish the job, but they also give you more flexibility, thanks to their cordless nature.
With that said, we hope this list has helped you find the most suitable self-propelled mower with an electric start for your needs.