How High Should Range Hood be from the Stove | An Expert Guide
If you have recently moved into your new house and need to install your stove and hood in your kitchen, here is an essential piece of information for you. The range hood for the stove is different for indoor and outdoor hoods. Now, you need to install the hood in the perfect place so to avoid accidents. For this purpose, most people ask how high should include a range hood should be from the stove.
If it is too far at a distance or too close to the stove, this will affect its performance and durability and vice versa. Moreover, the range hoods are not easily movable; while fixing range hoods, you should be careful with that height. Keep reading to know installing hoods at the perfect distance from the stove.
How High Should Range Hood be from the Stove
The fan size does not affect range hood height.
- For outdoors, range hoods should be installed between 36 to 42 inches above the stoves for all the sizes. However, you may keep the distance between 28 and 36 inches above the stoves indoors.
Kitchen hood height
- Range hood mounting does not affect the height at which the installation is made, along with size.
- Outdoors and indoor hoods have different installation heights.
Standard range hood heights
- The standard range hood height above the gas range and range hood height above the electric stove are between 28 and 36 inches from the stove. It is less than 28 inches, it may damage the kitchen, while if it is more than 36 inches, your hood cannot pass air away from the stove effectively. This formula is applicable to island range hoods, wall mount range hoods, and range hood inserts.
- Most of the range hood manufacturers suggest extending the range hood between 20 to 24 inches above your kitchen range, but professionally 28 inches is the ideal height for powerful vent hoods.
- If the range hood is above the gas range, the rough distance should be between 25 and 30 inches, unless defined differently.
- Do not mount it below the said height, as it is essential for safety purposes.
- Similarly, avoid installing it beyond the upper limit, as it may not be suitable for your hood’s overall efficiency.
- It is essential to check your range hood’s height because the flames may cause severe damage, and you may have an accident.
- However, it would help if you were not panic about the hood in the kitchen, and it’s the distance in case of an electric stove.
How high should a range hood be from the stove?
We can understand these measurements by using the table as follows.
|For outdoors||For indoors||Height from floor||Height for gas and electric range||Distance from cabinets||Rang hood height calculator|
|36-42 Inches||28-36 inches||6’6″||28 and 36 inches from the stove||1.5inche between the edge of hood range and cabinet||300 CFM average|
Distance between range hood and cabinets:
- To ignore all the security issues, you should leave the space of at least 1.5 inches between the edge of the hood range and cabinets.
Range hood height calculator for how high should a range hood be from the stove, using CFM:
- The measurement of airflow calculated in terms of CFM by a calculator is very common in use.
- CFM is an abbreviation of cubic feet per minute, and it is a measurement of the rate at which a specific volume of air can pass.
- Mostly in manuals and guides, it is mentioned that 600 to 1200 CFM is suitable, but actually, 300 CFM is more, which is an ideal measurement for kitchens.
Range hood height from floor:
The hood must be mounted so that the hood’s bottom should be 6’6″ from the finished floor. But if there is any specification given by the authorities, you need to abide by the rules.
- If it is possible, weld the exhaust duct to the hood instead of the floor.
- The range hoods are useful for many purposes; people use them to protect from grease and smoke in their kitchens, warehouses, and factories.
- They also use them to vent hazardous materials and chemicals from the storage areas and workplaces.
- In restaurants, these codes are useful to vent heavy grease and smoke at the commercial level.
- According to the international manual Range hood height code, the hoods in the residences are not mandatory. Still, if you are interested in these, you should use the ductless material, makeup air, and a damper.
- The range hood height code needs to make up an air of 400 CFM for vent hoods, but it depends on your cooking style and kitchen size.
- On the other hand, if you use your vent hood on high CFM for more extended periods, and your kitchen size is small, you can make the air system well.
Types of Hoods
Type I Vent hoods
They are used for grease and smoke-producing appliances. An example is a range hood over a gas stove and stainless-steel grill in the restaurants and your home’s kitchens.
Type II vents hoods
The range hood used to control moisture and heat and vapors outside the kitchens are known as type II vent hoods. An example is a commercial dishwasher vent hood.
Importance of Codes
Codes are essential to ensure the harmful pollutants should stay out of your home to stay healthy.
If your appliance emits too much, you need to mount the range hood, depending on your area building codes.
Benefits of Using the Range Hoods over the Stoves in the Kitchen
Well, how high should a range hood be from the stove? And why would you need a range hood in the first place? Many people argue that it is acceptable not to use a range hood and do without it. But then you may be unaware of the benefits of using the range hood in your kitchen. Here are some of them:
Improves air quality
The most important benefit of the correct hood height above gas range is to improve the quality of air, thus removes grease, dust, odor, smoke, and other harmful elements from your kitchens. The motorized fans used in the hoods vacuum and filter these elements, and carried them outside.
Decrease kitchen odors
Turning on the range hoods in your kitchens helps decrease unpleasant odors, thus leaving your home fresh because nothing feels you better when you feel hungry than a tasty and delicious meal.
While cooking, a lot of heat is produced in the kitchen, so range hoods are useful to remove excess heat and steam, thus providing you with enjoyable cooking.
Easy to clean
If you have not range hoods in your kitchens, it will be challenging to clean grease and moisture from the kitchen cabinets and counters because they create a sticky layer on these places. So, the use of ventilation hoods helps cut the growth of bacteria.
Gives a stylish look to your kitchen
The range hoods are not only practical but give a stylish look too to your kitchens. There is a wide range of modern hoods available in the market; you can go for your own choice entirely according to your budget. Depending upon your preferences, you may place an order for your favorite hood for your kitchen. This will only enhance your kitchen’s beauty, and you will enjoy cooking for your loved ones.
Reduces excess kitchen heat
The range hoods are not only helpful in reducing kitchen heat but also decreases the energy bills.
How High Should Range Hood be from the Stove: FAQs
Do you have to have a range hood above a stove?
Yes! You should have a range hood over the stoves in your kitchens, even if it is not legally required, but for cleanliness and your kitchens’ long life to prevent dust, steam, moisture, and heat.
How much clearance do you need for a range hood?
In most US states, the minimum height clearance needed by the building’s 18 inches is considered the average height from the top of the stove to the bottom of the range hood.
Do range hoods have to go to the ceiling?
If you install a vented hood on the wall or under the cabinet, the wires will run behind the outer walls. But when range hoods have to go to the ceilings, the ducts should run above the ceilings. Moreover, the ductless range hoods can be mounted easily anywhere you want, which comes in your budget easily.
To conclude this topic, I will only say that kitchens’ hoods are essential in every manner, as they help set out dust, grease, moisture, and other pollutants. The important thing while mounting the hoods is the hood range height. So, keep in mind! If your hood is mounted too near the stove, it may catch fire, leading to loss. While if it is installed too far from the stove, the air gap will not be in the effective area. The unnecessary distance severely decreases the efficiency of the hood.
Read More: How to Vent a Range Hood on an Interior Wall