How to Build a DIY Closet in a Bedroom | 11 Step Guide By Expert
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We recommend using caution and seeking professional advice. This site provides general information. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before taking action based on anything you read or see.
An organized closed bedroom is an excellent place of serenity. As women, we need to have a place that we can call our own, and for some women, the closet can be a lively place. In North America, a closet is an enclosed space with a storage door, particularly for clothes. Fitted closets are built into the house walls to take up no apparent space in the room. Therefore, a closet is a necessary item in the bedroom in every manner. So if you want to discover how to build a DIY closet in a bedroom, you have come to the right place.
How to Build a DIY Closet in a Bedroom
Well! Everyone likes the extra storage space in a bedroom, as a room without a proper closet is not considered a bedroom. This DIY closet idea isn’t complex to go on with the same concept to have a wall-to-wall cabinet with sliding doors. If you are energetic and want to have an elegant and unique-looking closet, you can complete it in two to three weeks. Also, if you’re going to add a lighting system to it, you have to get permission from your local building department. But what to do if your room doesn’t have a closet in it. To solve this issue, we will tell you how to build a DIY cabinet in a bedroom.
Learn More: How To Turn A Room Into A Walk In Closet
Tools required in this project
- Measuring tape
- Miter saw
- Nail gun
- Kreg jig
- Stud finder
Mark and measure the closet wall location.
- Find out the size of the closet you want to make and the type of doors to add to it.
- You can use many different doors, like traditional hinged swinging doors, sliding doors, and bi-fold doors.
- The formation of standard project 67″ X 28″ measurement is efficient with the sliding doors.
- It is essential to consider the standard rules of building requirements. For instance, the standard depth for a DIY closet is 24″. But if you want to store as many things as the closet space should be more than this measurement.
- Mark the guidelines for installing a new wall, and do not forget to add drywall.
- When you attach the new closet frame to the existing bedroom wall with the screws, attach the studs behind the drywall.
Attach plate to the ceiling
- The framing component as a top runner to secure wall studs is a full plate.
- Usually, the top plate spreads at the whole length of the wall.
- Now measure the closet wall and cut a 2X4 piece that will act as a top plate.
- Use a 2.5-inch wood screw to attach the top plate to the ceiling.
Build the frame of the closet wall
- The top plate is similar to the bottom plate; both plates are essential in holding the framing studs of the wall.
- When the top plate is installed, attach the full plate drill the pocket holes at the top of the studs.
- The trimmer stud should be at the length of 80, and the header should be attached at 81.5 from the floor.
Install header and clipper studs
- Header means beam-like support in the wall.
- Typically header works at an opening of a window or a door.
- In this project, the header supports the sliding doors and the rail.
- I will use 2X 4 for the header because the rail and the door are very heavy.
- Cut five clipper studs and measure the distance from the top plate to the header.
- Now fix these studs at the distance of 16 inches with the help of screws.
Cut and install drywall
- Start cutting the more significant pieces of wood, and then cut the smaller ones.
- With the help of a utility knife, cut the paper layer of drywall.
- Now fix the drywall against the wall, with the drywall screws, secure it to the studs.
- On both sides of the closet wall, install the drywall on both sides.
Install corner bead
- According to the measurement, the tin snips cut the corner beads by keeping the bottom end to approximately1.5 inches from the floor.
- In the bead, drive the drywall nails through the holes in the dot for a stronghold.
Application of all-purpose compound to the closet wall
- Before using the all-purpose compound mud, you should cover the floor with plastic sheets.
- Apply the initial coat of compound to the drywall joints with the 6-inch drywall knife.
- Don’t apply the thick coat of compound, as it has a significant risk of cracking.
- When the first coat completely dries, remove the rough spots with the sandpaper.
Application of texture on the drywall
- Slightly sand the surface of the drywall before applying the texture on it.
- Now spray the Homax wall texture on the drywall, as it has options to use heavy or light patterns, but I prefer rich designs to use.
Paint the walls for DIY closet
- When the texture completely dries on the drywall, sand the high areas with the sanding paper or block again to have a smooth look.
- Then paint the wall with the help of a paint roller.
Install the sliding door rails
- Now install the sliding rails and the closet organizers in the closet doors.
- Attach the roller wheels and paint the sliding doors.
- At the top of the closet doors, install the decoration board to cover the door rails completely.
- Insert the doors into the rails very carefully.
- Fix the closet rod in the closet of the bedroom.
- It is necessary to have the shelves for organizing the linen closet.
Cost to make a DIY closet in a bedroom
The average cost to make a DIY closet in a bedroom is $350 to $1200, or it can exceed this estimate depending upon the materials and installation procedures. The essential factor in making this type of closet is the size and the type of accessories you opt for. But if you are interested in making the DIY closet by yourself, you can save a lot of your funds.
According to the home adviser, the cost of making the closet for your bedroom will depend on the features and size that most homeowners agree to spend between $1000 to 2500$ for a new wardrobe.
Advantages of a DIY closet in a bedroom
- If you have a Diy Closet in your bedroom, you can dress quickly.
- It adds privacy to your bedroom.
- It will increase storage space.
- can add resale value.
- You can easily organize your things.
- The cleaning process of closets is easy.
How to Build a DIY Closet in a Bedroom: FAQs
How do you build a closet in a room without a closet?
A combination of a small dresser, hanging rod, and shelving can turn an empty wall into an organized closet space. There are numerous ways to mix and match these products to fit your space and storage needs. A low dresser will allow for a hanging room above it for dresses, slacks, and coats.
How do I build a closet in my bedroom?
- Measure and mark the closet wall location.
- Attach top plate to the ceiling.
- Build the frame of the closet.
- Install header and clipper studs.
- Cut and install drywall.
- Install corner bead.
- Apply all-purpose compound to a closet wall.
How much does it cost to build a closet in a bedroom?
The average cost to build a closet in a bedroom is about $750 to $1000 for a reach-in and $2000 to 2500$ for a walk-in closet. Prices depend on the size and as well material used in the closet making.
How do you make a simple closet?
You can make a simple closet using plywood sheets because it is lightweight, safe, and flexible. You can even make shelves of this material, as it is durable, strong, and long-lasting.
Where should I store my vacuum without a closet?
The best places to store a vacuum if you don’t have a closet are the laundry room, kitchen panty place, walls, hooks, and painted perforated hardboard. The garage is an excellent place to keep a vacuum cleaner, where anything that doesn’t fit finds a home; as long as the house’s closet, you can stash your vacuum cleaner in the garage.
Can a room without a closet be a bedroom?
It is against popular belief; a room does not need a closet to be considered a bedroom. Closets are commonly built-in bedrooms, especially in new homes, but they are not legally mandated for a room to be a bedroom.
So when you plan to remodel your home, the closets are not included at the top of the list. But if you have an organized closet in your bedrooms, it will make your life easy, as it is helpful to store clothes, shoes, and other essential things. Therefore, the DIY closet organization ideas look gorgeous in unique colors with matching carpets and furniture. Still, you can save a lot of your money and learn how to keep your things in the modular closet units. Hope you learned how to build a DIY closet in a bedroom.