How to Choose the Perfect Dining Room Light fixture | An Expert Guide
Is this fact is correct that the improper lighting system can ruin your dinner times? If you are living in a household, the exact answer is yes. So to properly light your dining room, you need to plan according to the needs of the room. If your rooms lack natural light, you may need to consider adding additional lighting to brighten the entire space. Therefore, if you want to discover how to choose the perfect dining room light fixture, keep reading the article until the end.
Different Types of Light Fixtures
Chandeliers are light, decorative, and often ornate light fixtures suspended from the center’s ceiling. This is the most commonly used dining rooms light fixtures with the central body with the arms that support lights.
This is the type of light fixture that is hanged from the ceiling with a single rod chain. They come in second place to chandeliers and are often turned in many numbers.
Wall scones are the light fixtures that can be installed on the walls rather than on the ceilings whether in the form of a bulb or tube is directed in the upward direction.
Recessed light fixtures
Recessed light fixtures are mounted inside the ceiling to provide the look of minimalist modernized look.
If you have a specific small area or a casual eating place in your kitchen or dining room, you should opt for flush mount light fixtures.
- You can opt for items with low heights or semi-flush light hanged only above a few inches from the floor.
Select the style
- It would help determine the light fixture style you want to install in your dining room and go for the exact size and proportion.
- If the dining room is large in size and a beautiful view with windows, you should opt for the smaller-sized light fixtures to not hinder your thoughts.
- If the dining room has high ceilings, then you should go for the elegant fixture that goes up to space.
- Also, you should not forget the materials that complement your dining room table and furniture items.
How to Size your Light Fixtures
While selecting the light fixtures for your dining room, you should keep in mind some important rules for sure.
- When choosing the light fixture, the authentic rule is that it should be one-third of the length of your rectangular or oval dining table. It should not be smaller in size by every means, but it should be more significant than that.
- It would help if you did not opt for the light fixture wider than the dining table.
- Another rule is that adds the length and width of your room together and changes it into inches.
How to Hang Light Fixtures in your Dining Room
- The standard rule for hanging chandeliers, bulbs, pendants, and lamps should be suspended over the dining table’s center and keep the lower side of the light fixture between 30 to 36 inches from the above surface of the table.
- It is also important to hang your light in the center as possible to the dining table.
Select the location of the light fixture
- You should select the location for the light fixture wisely.
- The low-hanging fixtures and the chandeliers should be installed in the dining table center, but not the center of your dining.
- The light fixture installed in the dining room will be a focal point of the specific items of the furniture in the room.
- Therefore, you should keep in mind the location of the dining table before fixing the light fixtures.
- According to the event processed, you should adjust the mood because the dining room is a special place in your home.
- The room’s decoration plays an essential role in creating the ambiance, as the amount of brightness provided by your light fixtures is the crucial factor in getting the required mood.
Accent light fixtures
- In addition to pendants and chandeliers, you should think about some more lighting systems because they are not often enough for your dining rooms somehow.
- Recessed lights can provide you with extra brightness, particularly in the dark light corners.
- For this purpose, lamps and bulbs can add depth and task lighting in your dining rooms very well.
Select a shade
When you plan to select a light fixture for your dining room, in addition to style, location, size of the room, and material, one crucial factor that you should consider is the shade of the light fixture you opt for. From sleek metal designs to vintage-inspired glass schoolhouse shades, many light fixtures come with various shades.
The light fixtures with fabric linen shades provide an inviting glow to your dining rooms. To get the brighter ambient light, you should choose the light beige or white color, while for moodier light, you should select a black linen shade.
A clear glass color will brighten your room with the bright ambient light—a glass shade couples best with the filament bulbs for your dining rooms.
If you want plenty of brightness in your dining rooms, opal glass is the best option.
The shades with metals focus the light downward, making an ideal choicefor low-key lighting systems above your dining room.
If you want to choose a high-quality light fixture, it will take a large amount of chunk from your saving. For instance, the chandeliers with crystal beads can be costly, so you should opt for ones from which you can save a lot of your money.
The final touch
You can give your light fixtures the final touch in your dining room by adding the dimmers to them, as they help set the tone of your dining room according to the events going on there.
How to Choose the Perfect Dining Room Light fixture: FAQs
How do I choose a light fixture for my dining room?
For choosing a light fixture for a dining room, you should consider the position first for fixing a light, secondly determine the height at which you want to hang it, and also opt for the light fixture according to your room style.
How big should your dining room light fixture be?
It is suggested that the size of the light fixtures should be approximately one-third of the width of the dining table. For example, a five-foot round dining table should have a diameter of about 20 inches; a rectangle or oval-shaped table could have a more comprehensive or elongated chandelier.
What is the best lighting for the dining room?
Use pendant lights to demarcate a dining room in an open area.
How big should my chandelier be for my dining room?
Use the dining room chandelier with a diameter of one-half to two-thirds of the table’s width over which it will be installed. Another point of this rule is that the fixture’s diameter should be at a distance of about 1 foot less in diameter than the width of the dining room table at its widest point.
Should dining room lights point up and down?
As a generality, dining room lights should point up. This creates a more intimate atmosphere. On the other hand, breakfast room lights generally point down.
Can you put a rectangle light over a round table?
A linear multi-pendant light fixture or a linear fixture is best for a rectangular table. While if you don’t want a linear light over a round table, you could use two round lights over a dining room rectangular table. You can also center on the fixture over a rectangular table and place a recessed-down light on each side.
How big of a light fixture do I need?
A simple way to check a chandelier size is to add the room’s dimensions together in foot and then covert the answer to inches. The responses in inches should be equal to the diameter of the fixture. So if your room measures ten by 14, the diameter of the institution should be about 44 inches.
Can a chandelier be too long?
A chandelier that is too long can easily overpower a room and its. On the other hand, one that is too small in size becomes insignificant and decreases the perceived value of the entire space. By following the few interior design guidelines for choosing the correct size, you will maximize the impact of the fixture.
So it is evident from the above article that choosing a light fixture for your dining room is a straightforward task if you know all about its feature that is necessary to consider. For example, the size, shape, installation method, room style, and location should be carefully selected. If you opt for the wrong item according to your space available can make your room messy. I hope that the above article will go to be very helpful and have learned how to choose the perfect dining room light fixture.