How to Clean an Area Rug on Hardwood Floor | DIY Guide Must Follow
You may ask yourself today, how to clean an area rug on a hardwood floor?
All area rugs make our room look more colorful and organized. On the other hand, they can make the room look dirtier if you did not follow a carpet cleaning routine.
From regular traffic through the house to messy youngsters with sloppy footprints, your carpets have the potential to pile up a lot of dirt, dust, and debris.
These rugs are used on prominent traffic surfaces in a home to secure underneath the wood floors from scratches and stains.
With time, carpets get used to getting dirty and, as a result, they can start giving your place of living a bad smell, change the facade, and make your wood floor dirty.
Carpets need to be cleaned regularly to make them look beautiful, smell good, and last longer.
Although there are numerous cleaning carpet procedures, using liquid or water-based cleaners without securing the wood underneath can cause severe damage.
Answering the question, how do you clean a sector carpet? Large area rugs or rugs that are NOT machined washable can be cleaned off-site with a professional cleaner, although it can be expensive.
Wood flooring cleaning should be done regularly to avoid dust, stains, and other factors that can make your floors look old and finished. For hardwood flooring cleaning, you should use specific materials that we will mention later.
On the other hand, it is feasible to get one of these carpets cleaned inside or outside yourself, as illustrated in this guide.
How to Clean an Area Rug on Hardwood Floor: Materials to Use
For cleaning an area rug on hardwood floor some materials are needed. Here is the list;
- BAGGED CANISTER VACUUM: Designed to clean all areas and surfaces of your entire home, den, kitchen, car or garage quickly and efficiently
- HEPA FILTER SYSTEM: Enhanced HEPA filter system traps 99. 97% of debris, trapping dander and dust inside the vacuum reducing allergy-induced pollutants in the room
- POWERFUL CLEANING: 2-motor system excels in suction strength. 4 height adjustments provide optimal airflow and cleaning efficiency for any surface
Bicarbonate of soda
- OMRI Organic
- Sodium Bicarbonate Bulk
- Laundry Booster, Cleaning Agent, Reduce Odors
Slow liquid dish soap
- DISH SOAP POWERS THROUGH TOUGH GREASE - Clorox Fraganzia Dish Soap is even tougher on grease! Morning Sky dishwashing liquid will clean your dirtiest dishes. Yes, this includes spaghetti and meatballs night
- LONG LASTING ISLAND ORCHID SCENT- This phosphate-free dish soap formula leaves behind an alluring scent of island orchid, never the smell of harsh chemicals. Hey, you might even forget you are doing the dishes
- GENTLE YET EFFECTIVE FORMULA - Clorox Fraganzia Liquid Dish Soap is also a gentle, yet effective, solution for your hands. You can leave the sink with relief that clean up is complete, plus soft hands for whatever is next
Soft bristle scrubbing brush
- 10" super soft brush head
- 65" telescoping pole
- Features foam grips for extra control
- 【3 Times Expandable Garden Hose】 – EASYHOSE Garden Hose is made from the highest quality materials and is of the latest design,This Garden Hose is extremely functional,When you turn on the tap, our Garden Hose can expand to up to 3 times its original length, and it contracts to the original length when the water is off, makes stororage easier.
- 【Hose with Robust Build】 –Built with latex structure. Premium high strength latex with triple-layer water pressure tolerance up to 175 psi (12 bar). Conventional 3/4 Inches brass connectors sealed by rubber washer to ensure the leak-free during watering. Sturdy on/off valve, ultra-flexible 3750D polyester fabric jacket. Durable fittings for long-term lawn and garden use. Typical application temperature in the range of 41F to 113F.
- 【9 Adjustable Pattern Spray Nozzle】 – Ergonomic handle is slip-resistant and comfy with comfortable grip; rotatable bezel for choosing 9 spray patterns EASYHOSE Flexible Garden Hose comes equipped with 9-Pattern Spray Nozzle,This Garden Hose suitable for all of your outdoor watering needs.The Garden Hoses make your gardening easier.
How to Clean an Area Rug on Hardwood Floor: Steps
Step 1: Vacuuming
Remove any items, such as furniture, from the carpet. Vacuum the carpet entirely on both sides to remove loose dirt.
The backside always accumulates dust and dirt, so it should not be neglected.
To deodorize your carpet, sprinkle baking soda on it and leave it for several hours.
Baking soda neutralizes and absorbs odor naturally without causing any inconvenience to the carpet or rug. Breathe in all the baking soda, and all the bad smell will disappear.
Step 2: Stain Removal
Spills and excessive dirt have the potential to cause a stain on your carpet. Stain removal involves the use of water or a liquid cleaner that can damage the wood floor underneath.
So, it is suggested that you secure the floor by putting a carpet under the stain or place a waterproof barrier such as a plastic sheet under the entire carpet.
At this point, you need to understand that stains on the carpet have a chance of being removed with the next compounds:
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Carpet Cleaner
- Steam cleaning
- Pressure washer/hose
Before using any cleaner or product on your carpet, try a small area on edge to see the effect on the color so that you can rule out any concerns about the action on the carpet. The carpet cleaner on hardwood floors are handy in this procedure.
The clean a hardwood floor usually leaves your floor like new, giving it a unique shade and reviving its colors. But these must be used with great care.
How do we clean the Carpet?
Cleaning with baking soda
Baking soda is a standard cleaning ingredient in many homes. It is strong in odor and stains.
The compound can be used with a glass appearance or combined with water to form a paste before being used on the stain in the carpet in your area.
- Resealable pouch
- A natural and gentle cleaner
- No harsh chemicals
Leave the glass or paste on for several hours to act on the stain or odor and vacuum to remove it.
Cleaning with a carpet cleaner
Beyond the fact that there are several types of carpet cleaning resolutions, carpet shampoo or slow dishwashing soap are commonly used to remove stains and dirt.
They are known to be gentle but resistant to stains, dirt, and grime. Before using your cleaner, read the developer’s guidelines on how to use it.
To use liquid dishwashing soap, stir a few teaspoons slowly with not too hot water. Do not use hot water that will damage the color or fiber of a carpet.
Use a sponge to work satisfaction into the carpet and let it work for several minutes on the stain before rinsing with a damp towel to remove the cleaner.
Allow carpet to dry completely before removing a protective barrier underneath.
Some carpet moisture can cause the wood floor to warp and bend. It may also cause odor and mold growth.
- Hero Ingredient: 100 percent bio-based ingredient (Sodium Zinc Polyitaconate) traps and neutralizes odors on contact
- Immediate Odor Control: Instead of masking odors with heavy fragrance, this actually eliminates them immediately
- Proven Performance: Independent lab tests confirm it: our bio-based ingredient delivers better odor removal of pet odors than the zinc-based technology in other carpet powders
Steam cleaning a carpet
It is a carpet is usually the last method to remove stains and dirt when other procedures have failed.
Moreover, steam cleaning helps to disinfect an area by killing germs and other microorganisms using burning moisture.
Steam cleaning should be used with great caution, especially when dealing with carpet installed on a wood floor.
Burning moisture can pass through small openings in the finish to reach the wood.
The wood floor mentioned must be properly sealed and protected with a waterproof barrier.
How do you Clean a Carpet on a Wood Floor with Steam?
After removing all furniture, vacuum the carpet in the area to remove dust and other loose debris.
Protect the wood floor by placing a waterproof plastic sheet under the carpet. Make sure the walls are also protected by securing the paper with tape.
Read the rules about how to use your purchased or rented vaporizer. Put water and the suggested cleaner in the container and turn it on to start heating.
As it comes up on stains and dirty spots, move the machine quickly as the steam spills onto the carpet.
For all carpet in the area, clean from the far side while moving in a pattern to ensure no spots are missed.
After the carpet has been vaporized, it is precisely 48 hours to dry before removing the plastic sheet and laying it back on the floor. Hardwood floor cleaning is necessary from time to time.
Pressure Washer/Hose Cleaning
For a complete cleaning, it is feasible that you should roll up the carpet and take it to the washing area for cleaning.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of mild detergent or shampoo to a bucket of not too hot water.
- Use a brush slowly to scrub the cleaning satisfaction into the carpet and allow the foam to settle over a few minutes.
- Rinse the foam satisfaction carpet and clean it with clean water from a hose or with a pressure washer.
- Use a squeegee to squeeze out excess water and allow it to dry completely before replacing it.
- Vacuum or brush the carpet to loosen the compacted fibers when you put it back on the floor
There is no point in cleaning a carpet without cleaning the wood floors.
The dust and dirt accumulating on a wood floor may settle under the carpet and begin to damage its facade.
Dust wood floors every day and schedule an intensive weekly or monthly cleaning. Rough cleaning is also eventually necessary.
How to Clean an Area Rug on Hardwood Floor: FAQ
Can you shampoo the carpet on the wood floors?
Yes, you can practically steam clean carpets on wood floors. On the other hand, you have to admit that wood floors are susceptible to water damage, and you should take the primary steps to protect them.
How do you clean a large area carpet in the home?
Cleaning a carpet that has a large area is not a simple job. It’s best to leave this job to professionals. On the other hand, if you want to do this work with your own hands, you must follow the steps we leave you within this text.
Can you use Rug Doctor on wood floors?
Rug Doctor hard floor cleaner safely breaks down grease and sticky substances without leaving a residue. Our hard surface cleaner restores and revitalizes hard surfaces such as stone, tile, laminate, vinyl, and sealed wood floors, making it perfect for cleaning kitchens, entryways, bathroom surfaces, and more.
With these tips, you now know how to clean a carpet on a wood floor. The trick is to follow the rules carefully and avoid any unproven procedures. It also matters that a professional is requested to clean your carpet every six months or a year, concerning the continuity with which it is used.
The cleaning floor laminate can be extensive work. The idea is to leave it to the professionals on the subject.
Steam cleaning removes stains from upholstery and carpet that cannot be removed by dry vacuuming. If you have large area rugs in your home that will not fit in the washing machine or should not machine wash, use the steam cleaning development to clean the rugs. On the other hand, moisture from a steam cleaner damages wood floor surfaces, so if you plan to steam clean the carpets in your area on wood floors, you should first elaborate on the area.
Read More: How to Clean Shower Floor