How to Find Low Side of Refrigerator Compressor | Full Process Explained
Refrigerators may not be the most complex piece of equipment in your inventory, but that doesn’t mean that you can neglect them. While the compressor is the most visible component, it is far from the only one. Other parts should also maintain because they can affect the compressor’s performance. Let’s find out how to find low side of refrigerator compressor.
Most refrigerators need a low-side port to get cooling gas into the evaporator, connecting to the compressor. However, finding this port can be a pain if you don’t know where to look. It can be easy to see if you have the right tools. If you need help, this blog will introduce you to some of the tools you can use to find the low side of the refrigerator compressor.
How to Find Low Side of Refrigerator Compressor
The refrigerator compressor is on the lower left side of the refrigerator. There will be a small fan and a metal wire cage towards the top of the unit.
- Most refrigerators have two low sides.
- Both low sides should be the same.
- A low side finds by locating copper lines coming out of the compressor.
- These copper lines will have a low side and ground.
- The low side can identify if the copper lines have a soft side cap on the end of them.
- To find the low side, find the soft side cap on the copper line and attach a low side adapter.
- The low-side adapter will have a cap on the end.
- This cap will be the ground line and have a small tube that runs to the low side.
- The low sideline will have a tube that runs to the high side of the refrigeration system.
- The copper lines need to identify with a low side cap and a high side cap.
- Both the high side and low side caps will have a tube running to the other side.
- The high side cap will have a tube running to the low side, and the soft side cap will have a line running to
- To find the low side of the refrigerator compressor, turn off the power to the refrigerator or freezer, then remove the lower access panel. The common side will be visible on one of the pipes.
- The low side of the refrigerator compressor is on the front of the fridge. It can identify by a clear pipe running vertically next to it.
So you have determined that your refrigerator is not moving enough air. You have also determined that your airflow is insufficient to support the cooling system. Now you have to find the low side of the system. There are a couple of ways to do this. One way is to take a temperature reading from behind the refrigerator.
You will be looking for the coldest temperature. When you have a temp gun, you could use that. A second method is turning the temperature up to the warmest setting and turning off the refrigerator. Check the temperature behind the fridge.
The temperature should rise several degrees. Try this same test up on top of the refrigerator. We are hoping you loved this text about in which to locate the low aspect of a fridge.