How to Get Rid of Roaches | 11 Effective Methods You Should Apply
Yes! It is a fact that there is nothing worse than flicking on the kitchen walls and lights, hearing the scampering noises of legs on the cabinets, countertops, and floors. These are not only pests that behave like an eyesore, but they can also contaminate the food and transmit harmful bacteria, and worst of all, can survive for the best-intentioned extinction attempts. Yes! I am talking about roaches. That’s why we expose your attention towards entomologists and pesticide applicators to search for the quickest and effective way to get rid of roaches naturally. So follow the step guide for how to get rid of roaches.
Identify the problem places with flashlights and glue strips:
- When you plan the procedure that will work best, you must know about the places you find the infestation sights.
- You can start the process by using flashlights to find the familiar places for their hiding, including behind the fridges, under the sinks, crevices in cabinets and shelves, and bathroom cabinets.
- Use the large glue strips for roach infestations, as it is based on the flashlight search that decides for the most terrific for strips.
- Check these areas for few days a week and you will notice that the strips in most common places will attract the most of the roaches and make them die.
How to Get Rid of Roaches
Follow these 11 steps to get rid of roaches.
- Use of caulk to prevent more infestation
- Using hot water and vinegar
- Killing roaches with baking soda and sugar
- Natural remedy using fabric softener
- Soap and water
- Killing roaches with boric acid and egg yolks
- Pest management professionals
- Keep food centralized
- Liquid concentrates
- Store-bought traps
- Clean your home thoroughly
Read More: How To Get Rid Of Rats In A Crawl Space
Use of caulk to prevent more infestation:
- To reduce the existing population of cockroaches, you can use the practical method of traps.
- You should use caulk to fill the gaps and places of entry points between the walls and holes to prevent cockroach infestation.
- If you use the weather strips on doors and window seals, it will do the best work.
Read More: How To Get Rid Of Moth Eggs On Ceiling
Using hot water and vinegar:
- You can find natural products in your kitchen to get rid of roaches, which is the most straightforward trick.
- Prepare a mixture of hot water and 1 part of vinegar and stir it well
- Clean the slabs and around the countertops with this mixture and pour it into the sink’s kitchen drains in the night, leading to disinfection of pipes and preventing cockroaches from coming in the kitchen.
Killing roaches with baking soda and sugar:
• This DIY natural roach control solution works as well as it can.
• It includes a dish of baking soda combined with a little sugar that is put in the areas where you often encounter the bug.
• The sugar’s taste will assist attract roaches, and baking powder will eventually kill them.
- It is a fast and straightforward method to get rid of roaches in and around the kitchen and home places.
- When you finish the method, make sure to clean the remains of dead cockroaches.
Read More: How To Get Rid Of Green Ants Naturally
Natural remedy using fabric softener:
- An effective method to kill roaches in appliances is to kill them with the three parts of any fabric softener, and two water poured in the spray bottle.
- The fabric softener contains such chemicals that will suffocate the roaches.
- This method of killing those works best if the cockroaches will come in direct contact with the solution.
Soap and water:
- This method is similar to the fabric softener method.
- Prepare the mixture of soap and water and pour it in the spray bottle; spray it on any type of roach; the spray will quickly kill them.
Killing roaches with boric acid and egg yolks:
- Place the yolks in a bowl that you don’t use for eating purposes, and mix 1 cup of sugar and 2.5 oz of boric acid.
- Make a thick paste of this mixture that looks like dough.
- Finally, roll the egg baits into the small balls and place them in every place of home.
- Boric acid cockroach killing recipe is the best remedy to get rid of them.
- The cockroaches are paying attention to the bait because of the mixture of boric acid and egg ingredients.
- They don’t know that they are taking in the fumes of boric acid.
- This process can take few days before the insects start dying.
Pest management professionals:
- The most active approach for getting rid of cockroach species is to hire pest control professionals. This will also prove to be good as it eliminates the chance of scattered traps all-around your home.
Keep food centralized:
- You should keep all of your food sources like bread crumbs and debris away from the roaches so that the cockroaches may not have access to food materials for their survival.
- You should keep cabinets, appliances, and other storage places clean.
- All of your food preparation areas like kitchen countertops should be wiped off and disinfected after every use.
- Ultimately you will notice that there will be a very less population of roaches in the months without food.
- The effective product that you can use to deter cockroaches is liquid concentrates.
- You can use them in diluted form to spray over the cockroaches and even in the cracks, holes, and entry spaces where cockroaches like to hide.
- Also, you can also wipe and clean the floors of your homes with this solution as well.
- You will wonder that you will get rid of them over a night.
- The most effective method of eliminating cockroaches is using traps that are readily available in home improvement stores and supermarkets.
- This appliance contains the scent or any other type of bait to attract the cockroaches.
- When they search for the bait, they are attracted by the sticky substance, and in a week or two, you can see the best result.
Clean your home thoroughly:
- You should be in the habit of cleaning your home thoroughly because of cockroaches like the dirty places most.
- Dispose of the garbage before going to bed.
- Seal the food containers.
- Mopping is a must regularly.
Types of Roaches
There are thousands of cockroach species and have been living for millions of years all over the world. The most common types are German cockroaches, American cockroaches, and oriental cockroaches.
- Its scientific name is Blattella germanica and is the most common type.
- Its length is 13 to 16 mm, and the color is pale brown, with two brown stripes behind the head.
- These species produce more eggs than other species and can live up to 12 months.
- Its scientific name is Periplaneta Americana.
- These are the most significant types commonly found in houses.
- The adults can grow up to 53 mm in length so far.
- Their color is reddish-brown to brown, having yellow bands around the shield behind the head.
- They have wings and can fly shorter distances in male and female species—their familiar places to live where food sources are stored and live up to 2 years maximum.
- Its scientific name is Supella longipalpa.
- Its maximum growth is up to 13mm.
- The male brown-banded cockroaches have dark brown wings at their base and of lighter color to extend towards the tips.
- But females have reddish-brown to dark brown wings.
- There are light yellow bands across the bodies of both males and females.
- Only male cockroaches can fly.
- When they get disturbed the most of them want to jump.
- Their life span is three months to 11 months.
How to Get Rid of Roaches: FAQs
What scent will keep roaches away?
You may love the smell of citrus fruits, but cockroaches hate the scent. It means that you can use the citrus-scented cleaners in your kitchen and bathrooms to keep them away; you can also use the peels of citrus foods around your homes in the problematic areas.
How long does it take to get rid of roaches?
You can do the best before the population has taken its growth, and you will be able to eliminate cockroaches within a week to 10 days. And most of the species can die in one or two days. You can use a pesticide like an insecticide aerosol to get from them faster.
Is it hard to get rid of roaches?
While cockroaches are one of the common pests found in your kitchen, bathrooms, and almost every place of your home, they are the most stubborn of all pests. Infestations are challenging to get rid of because they can find hiding places, breed quickly, and have a very high potential for reproduction. They have a very high resistance power for pesticides and insecticides; they can also taint food with E.
So at the end of the topic, how to get rid of roaches I will say that there are numerous methods by which you can get rid of cockroaches very quickly, only you have to do the task by using the proper materials and should have patience too. Instead of hiring the services of pest control companies and professionals, it is the best way to eliminate bugs from your house. All you have to do is to stay proactive lest your home is full of roaches.