How to Make a Door Lock | Procedure Of Making Door Lock
Today, to protect the house from the entry of strangers, locks are installed on the doors. They come in different types and shapes, so choosing the model of interest, taking into account your requirements, will not be difficult. Furthermore, many people usually ask how to make a door lock. Thus, this guide would be indispensable for them.
Classification of Door Locks
By the degree of protection and by the opening mechanism, door locks can be divided into the following groups:
- constipation – hook, latch, etc.;
- Locks – mechanical, electromechanical, and electromagnetic.
Read More: How To Fix A Door Lock
A simple option for the unlocking method is constipation. They do not contain a secret locking mechanism, and no keys are used to unlock. Of the locks with a mechanism, a simple option is the use of mechanical items and devices. To open or close them, you need a key inserted into the well and, depending on the design, either rotated or moved back and forth. As a result, the lock is triggered, and the door opens.
An electrical signal is used to control electromechanical and electromagnetic locks. They allow the use of remote control to open the system remotely. Use of fingerprint or palm reader, voice control, etc., is possible too.
According to the mounting option, the door locks are categorized into:
- mortise / built-in,
Read More: How To Pick A Door Lock With A Knife
Overheads are less practical, so their use is gradually fading away. The lock consists of two important elements: on one side, there is a secret mechanism and a latch; on the other side, there is a striker.
Mortise door locks are more practical and popular. The main part, when fastened, is located in the body of the door. Only the keyhole, decorative panel, and handle for opening the door are visible from the outside. The counterpart is located in the same way in the door frame.
The built-in lock is more practical. It is also located inside the door leaf, but the only difference is that it does not cut into it but is installed in making the door. A distinctive feature of these devices is crossbars, located in the lock and around the entire perimeter of a door.
The hinged is used only for locking outbuildings because its use on entrance or interior doors is impractical.
Learn More: How To Pick A Screen Door Lock
How to Make a Door Lock
How to Make a Latch Door Lock
The principle of operation of a latch door lock is as follows:
- Install a bolt (such as that used in furniture)on the door. This would be turned with a hex key. The bolt should go through the entire thickness of the blade.
- On the backside of the sash, put a rail (latch) and attach it to the bolt. For this, you can make a flat hatch at the end of the hardware.
- Next, push the rail onto the flat hatch. To prevent the steel plate from falling off the bolt, support it with a nut, which you can screw on one and the other side of the latch.
- To lock the door, you must put the latch within the striker.
- Now, to open the door, insert a hex key into the bolt’s head and turn. Simultaneously with the rotation of the bolt, the latch will also turn.
How to Make a Mechanical Lock
A mechanical lock entails the use of metal plates, which can be made by hand.
- To begin, make a small hole in the sash (about 10 mm).
- Next, position the key shaft at the end of the sash with the aid of a plate that can rotate around its axis. When the key is pushed into the keyhole, the plate with the shaft forms a single straight line.
- Next, mark a limiter on the rod, and insert the key into the well along with this limiter. Moving further, lower the plate under its weight and fix it in one of the slots on the valve.
- To prevent the rail from falling out during movement, you can install a limiter or stopper for it. You can make this in the form of a stop and two supporting brackets. Thus, on the one hand, the rail travel is controlled by the stop – limiter; on the other, it moves to the first bracket.
- The lock is so intricately designed that its key can only open it. There’s no way to find out the length of the plate attached to the rod from outside because there are too many gears and parts for you to see anything clearly, but they open at just one touch with these special keys.
How to Make a Magnetic Door Lock
To understand how to make a magnetic lock with your own hands, first consider its composing devices.
The main element of the mechanism is an electromagnet, a core made of transformer steel in the letter I. Such steel does not have a memory effect and is a soft magnetic material. The core is assembled from a large number of thin plates or is made from a single piece.
- To begin, attach enameled copper wire winding around the magnetic coil. The winding should have many (up to a thousand or more) turns when an electric current passes through the winding. An electromagnetic field is created in the core, which controls the operation of the lock.
- Next, install the magnetic coil onto the door with the help of a suitable casing that has a spring clip and locking bolt.
- To proceed, get another magnet of the same size and fix it on the door frame.
- When voltage is applied to the magnetic contacts, the spring clip would be released. With this, the locking bolt would enter into the lock mode due to the action of the spring.
- To open the lock, the process is carried out in reverse order. You can operate this mechanism from the room using a special button or utilizing a control mechanism. When outside, you can open the lock mechanically using a special key.
Benefits of Magnetic Door Lock
The magnetic door lock usually works effectively. However, over time, the mechanical characteristics of the door may weaken due to the effect of remanence. To combat it, the effect of voltage polarity reversal when demagnetizing the lock device is used. However, in this case, force is required to open the door.
Since low-alloy steel is used to manufacture parts of the lock, which is easily eroded, they must be protected. For protection, varnishing, zinc, or nickel plating is used.
In all, the main parameter of the lock is the holding force of the door. To increase the force used to hold the door, it is possible to install several locks. This value depends on the material from which the core and armature are made. The current is strength and the number of turns in the coil winding.
Furthermore, with regards to the magnetic door lock, a ready-made variation exists. This can be purchased from the market and installed by hand.
The working algorithm, in this case, is as follows:
- Make markings on the wicket or the door leaf. This would determine the places where the fastening elements will be located. You can use an ordinary pencil here.
- Next, drill holes in the canvas according to the markings you will use to attach the fasteners.
- Assemble the latch and secure it carefully.
- Install a striker.
- Check the correct function of the element and correct the position if necessary.
This completes the installation of the electromechanical overhead structure. The plug-in mechanism has a complex installation, but you can do it yourself. The algorithm, in this case, boils down to the following stages:
- Make markings on the end part of the door leaf. To do this, attach a lock and circle it, taking into account the holes for the fasteners.
- Next, cut out a special pocket on the metal structure.
- Install a lock case in it.
- Mark the points of attachment of the device on the canvas and cut them out.
- After making the holes, the lock housing is now secured. To do this, you can use ordinary self-tapping screws.
- Place additional structural elements, and a square bar is specially prepared holes.
- Make good marking and installation of the firing pin.
- Perform a functional test of the product.
How to Make a Door Lock: FAQs
How do you lock a door from the inside?
You can lock a door from the inside using a door brace. They are usually easy to install and remove as well.
How do you secure a door without a lock?
You can secure a door without using a lock through the following ways:
- By using barricades such as couches, tables, fridges, or freezers.
- By using a Fork
- using a belt
How do you lock a door with a penny?
To lock a door with a penny, jam some pennies between the hinge and the door from the outside. This alternative would prevent the door from opening when pressure is applied.
In conclusion, door locks come with various merits. And if you desire to learn how to make a door lock, the instructions highlighted above would aid you greatly.