How to Make a Homemade Door Lock | Do It YouSelf Guide
Homemade door locks have a simple design and are opened with a special key. They are installed from inside the garage, which makes the devices invisible. Such locks are made according to individual sketches of the homeowner, for which it is quite difficult to pick up a master key, which you can do for standard models of locks purchased in stores or the markets. For more practicality, the steps on how to make a homemade door lock have been elaborated below.
How to Make a Homemade Door Lock
When working on how to make a homemade door lock, the principle of their operation plays a vital role. This includes:
The homemade hinged door lock
This is the most common type of homemade door lock. The entire mechanism of such a device is located in a suspended case.
Locking is done using an arc or a pin that is inserted inward. For the structure to work, on the lockable sections, special lugs must be installed where they are meant for locking, and by inserting them with the help of arcs, there can be propped up better locks taking place in these areas.
Read More: How To Open A Door Lock With A Bobby Pin
This type of technical device has one negative quality, which casts doubt on its positive properties – you can open it relatively easily. Such locks are hung from the outside, so attackers have access to it. With the help of a master key, it can be opened or knocked down.
Thus, a lock of this type should only be used as an additional measure of protection when the use of several variants of locking devices is combined.
Homemade rack and pinion door lock
This is a fairly popular option for making locks. Here, you can install it from the inside of the door, and the locking process is carried out by several sliding rods.
The lock is opened with a special individual key inserted into the well and pulls the valves when turning. This type of device design is somewhat more reliable, but intruders can hack it by sawing the locking elements or picking up a key.
Learn More: Key Stuck In Door Lock
Mortise door lock
- The Mortise Lock is a lockable deadbolt system. This version of the home lock is quite simple in design, and it can be easily made by you.
- The Mortise lock is also a fairly reliable and effective homemade option for locking home doors.
- This allows it to be used in most cases.
- To make a Mortise lock, get a metal pin and fix it to move freely inside the lugs.
- Next, proceed to mount the setup on the inner part of the door.
Swing door locks
- This locking device is a type of latch, with the difference that the latch, most often, moves in a horizontal direction and is used with a single-leaf gate structure.
- To make swing door locks, get metal rods that can move vertically inside special lugs.
- Next, install the setup on the gates.
- For locking, drill a pair of holes about half a meter deep on the wall.
- To increase the strength and reliability of the structure, install metal pipes of a suitable diameter into these holes.
- Next, apply concrete appropriately.
Fork door locks
Beyond dining, you can use an ordinary fork for locking a door and keeping unwanted visitors from entering a room or a house.
Learn More: How To Fix A Door Lock
What do you need to make a homemade door lock with forks?
- First of all, you will need two forks with plastic, wooden, or directly metallic handle.
- A marker to mark where you will fix the tip of the fork, as you will see below.
- You will also need pliers, pressure pliers, or a work table screw to hold the fork and get it to bend.
- Another thing you will need is a hammer to help you square the tip, especially if you are doing it with conventional pliers.
Steps to make a homemade door lock with forks
- First, you have to measure the hole where the piston/slide of the door is inserted to be closed properly.
- Next, introduce the fork into the hole to measure where to make the square.
- Proceed to use a marker to know the exact measure where the fork should be bent.
- Place the fork facing you.
- While holding the fork with a vice or pressure clamps, bend the tip to an angle of 90º.
- With the hammer, ensure that each fork squares up correctly.
- Then the next step will be to disassemble the fork handles if they are made of plastic or wood.
- The objective of this is that you have an adequate length.
- Next, introduce the second fork between the spaces of the tines of the first fork. This will aid you in making the latch.
Types and Features of Homemade Door Locks
The house is designed to protect the occupant and his properties from the harmful effects of external factors and theft. Not a single house can give a complete guarantee of the safety of the occupants, but to a large extent, their safety depends on the strength and reliability of the lock for the door. Homemade door locks, like most devices, can be of several types.
Learn More: How To Remove Commercial Door Lock
They can be:
- Rack and pinion
- Mixed devices.
One of the main criteria that distinguish these devices is the method of their manufacture.
They can be:
- Factory products.
- Homemade locks
Advantages of Homemade Door Locks
Each type has its advantages and disadvantages.
Often, the choice of a product is determined by its price. If you want to purchase a reliable and high-quality factory device, you will need to pay quite large sums.
The lock will not be a simple factory stamping but a locking mechanism assembled manually by a professional. Several points distinguish factory products from homemade handicrafts. The main ones are the low quality and lack of reliability of many factory designs. In any case, you will have to pay a fairly large amount for good devices.
When making a lock, you can invest more in its quality from the desire to save money, which can step up the home’s safety. Here, you must approach the installation of the structure responsibly. It would help if you remembered the basic rule: the not visible lock is better protected.
Furthermore, manufacturers offer a choice of padlocks, overhead locks, and insert locks with different degrees of protection. All of them have one drawback: template production makes it easier to find a universal lock pick.
Knowing the weak point of standard designs makes it easier for attackers – it becomes easier to bypass protection. Reliable locks are expensive, and not everyone is willing to spend such funds. Thus, the advantages of homemade door locks include:
Spending money on expensive mechanisms isn’t advisable. A high-quality lock can be made from improvised means. Thus, it is advisable to use the special techniques highlighted below to complicate the design.
Opening the homemade door lock with a classic master key will not work. Many self-made mechanisms are not usually pick able, and thus, the time spent by an attacker does not pay off most times.
You can create a whole system of high durability through the homemade lock option. With this, losing your home door lock to harsh weather conditions will become much more difficult. On the other hand, if you normally have high humidity (50% RH or more), it would be wise to reduce it, not just for your doorknob but also for many other reasons. Also, try to keep the humidity below 40%, even aim for the low 30s if you can.
How the Door Locking System Works
In this section, we see what the operation of the home system that you have created is.
- You must insert the bent fork into the hole in the door, leaving the longest part protruding from the door frame.
- The next step is to close the door, leaving the fork you have entered in the hole protruding.
- The other fork will be the one that acts as a latch. With this, you cannot open the door once you have crossed it between the spaces of the tines.
- To open the door, you must release the fork you have crossed to return to the normal state.
How to Make a Homemade Door Lock: FAQs
How do you secure a door without a lock?
To secure a door without a lock, do make use of the following options:
Read More: How To Make A Door Lock
- Use a suitable barricade.
- Opt for a good door wedge.
- Tie up the door handles.
- Take off the door handle.
- Purchase a portable lock.
Is it illegal to put a lock on your bedroom door?
Putting a lock on your bedroom door isn’t illegal, and every homeowner can use it.
Can I legally put a lock on my bedroom door?
Yes. You can legally put a lock on your bedroom door, as earlier highlighted.
In conclusion, door locks come with various merits today. And if you desire to learn how to make a homemade door lock, the steps highlighted above would be indispensable.