How Wide is a 55-Inch TV | An Expert Guide (Updated)
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We recommend using caution and seeking professional advice. This site provides general information. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before taking action based on anything you read or see.
When choosing a TV, a question arise the question, how wide is a 55-inch TV? A television with a 55-inch diagonal is the size of the TV in width and height. Note that all TV manufacturers specify the size of the TV by taking into account the diagonal of the screen. Others mistakenly consider the size indicated by the manufacturer to be the width of the TV set. However, you can always use a TV size for a room calculator. This can save you a lot of time.
How Wide is a 55-Inch TV?
It so happens that the size of televisions is indicated by the diagonal of the screen. Therefore, if you choose a TV with 55-inches, understand that you have to choose a TV with a size of 55-inches. Such is the length of the diagonal of the screen specified in inches. At this point, you may wonder.
How Wide is a 55 Inch TV in Inches?
- A television of 55-inches measures 139.7 cm diagonally in the metric system.
- The width and height of the TV are 55-inches.
- Modern televisions have aspect ratios of 16: 9.
- If you divide the screen’s width into 16 identical parts, the height of the TV is nine parts.
- This is a common standard for the production of television screens.
- So, you can figure out the height and width of a 55-inch TV screen.
- The height of the TV display is 55-inches – 26.96 inches or 68.5 meters.
- The width of the 55-inch TV screen – 47.94 inches or 121 centimeters.
- In reality, the TV will be a little more giant. It would be best to consider the frame that frames the screen and holds the screen matrix.
- The width of the frame is from 0.3 inches (7 mm) to one inch (2.5 cm). Depending on the mounting technology of the TV.
Now, you can consult a TV dimensions chart to learn a little more about it.
TV Size 55-Inches per Package
During transport, the TV unit consists of polyethylene foam packaging. This protects it from damage. Well, in some TVs from brands like Samsung, LG, and Vizio. Some other brands take this lightly.
- The box size may vary slightly by manufacturer, but on average, the package dimensions for carrying a 55-inch TV are as follows. 55″ x 33″ x 6″ or in centimeters 140″ x 83″ x 15″.
- Height – 33 inches, 83 centimeters
- Length – 55-inches, 140 centimeters.
- Width – 6 inches, 15 centimeters.
Dimensions for some other displays
Each TV has different dimensions depending on the inches of its display. This is especially important when you don’t know the actual size of your Smart TV and are looking for the perfect collection for your room.
70inch TV dimensions
The 70″ display has dimensions of 154.9 cm wide by 87.1 cm high.
65 inch TV dimensions in cm
65″ Smart TVs are often not as big as you might think. These powerful TVs measure 144.0 cm wide by 81.0 cm high.
42 inch TV dimensions in cm
42″ TVs are often efficient for small spaces. This is because they have a height of 20.5 inches and a width of 36.5 inches.
Do you Measure the Size of the TV Screen?
• A flat-screen TV’s size is often determined by drawing a diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right, or, if you like, from the bottom left to the top right.
• Typically, this clearance is expressed in inches. In their product lineup, companies will provide a choice of sizes.
• The breadth or height of a television screen may be used to determine its size. The diagonal length is, however, the usual method.
• There are now two primary categories of TVs: LED TVs and OLED TVs. You may be shocked to hear that these two varieties are offered in a wide range of screen sizes.
• TV sets come in sizes ranging from 15 to 80 inches. in certain circumstances, even more.
• OLED TVs, however, are only offered in bigger screen sizes. often between 50 and 85 inches.
• Therefore, take in mind that the sort of technology you desire may affect the screen resolution you choose.
• How do you choose the right screen size for your space after you’ve decided on the sort of HDTV you want? And from how far away should you watch TV?
• To aid you with your issue, you may discover a number of TV size calculators online.
Determining the best display size and the best viewing distance of the TV set
One thing to realize is that this is not an exact science. A size comparison may be ideal.
But ultimately, there is more than one factor that can affect your opinion on the right size TV for your room:
- Personal taste
- Location in the room
- The resolution of the TV pictures you’re watching.
- Even the quality of your view!
- Two people can put two in the same room, and both people may have different attitudes about the correct screen size and the best viewing distance.
However, it can be helpful to get some solid numbers to give us a starting point, so let’s consider how we might do this. Although many times having a much larger screen can come at a very high Price, some devices are worth it.
Recommended viewing distance according to the field of view
In terms of television viewing, the field of view (FOV) is the viewing angle between a person and the visible area of a television screen.
As you get closer to the monitor, the wider the field of view will be, and the more immersive your viewing experience will be. However, if you get too close, the field of view is likely to be too wide for most people.
Have you ever sat in the front row of a movie theater? It would be best if you practically turned your head to see the action at the far ends of the screen. In that case, you might say the field of view is too broad – you might like it! The field of view commonly refers to a reasonable viewing distance. None of the guidelines advise how close you can get, just a maximum suggestion of how far away you should be.
Remember, the smaller angle is farther away, and the larger angle is closer to the screen.
Therefore, less than 26° will most likely be too far for many people.
And more than 36° will be more immersive, but it will reach a point where it will be too close. Also, it would be best if you kept in mind that these recommendations are for an actual movie theater.
So, while you can use them as a guide throughout your entire home, most people will often need to make some compromises. One other point to consider is that these suggestions do not consider the resolution of the image.
Read More: How To Set Up Electronics Lab At Home
The suggested field of viewing will vary with the size of your screen. Fortunately, we can easily calculate recommended viewing distances with the TV viewing distance formula.
Recommended Viewing Distance based on Image Resolution
A television screen has a fixed native resolution. Ideally, the image you see on that screen will have the exact answer. However, if you move away from the TV screen, there comes the point where you cannot see all the details of the picture.
Depending on the screen size and picture resolution, this range will vary. Consequently, the more you move away from the longest distance, the minor detail you will see.
And the closer you get the more imperfections you will see in the resolution of the image. So, if you want to be able to see all the detail on your high-resolution screen, there is a recommended distance you should sit from the screen.
So, this is another way to decide the best viewing distance for your TV. It would be best to keep in mind that this distance may vary depending on the person watching the screen. Visual acuity will differ from person to person.
Learn More: How To Make A Rear Projector Screen
It remains commonly accepted that people with 20/20 vision can distinguish details as small as 1 minute of arc, or 1/60th of a degree. Therefore, as the resolution of the TV increases and the pixels on the TV get smaller, there is a limit to how far we can see this detail.
Recommended Viewing Distance based on a Range
The two solutions above will not necessarily give you the same recommended viewing distance. Therefore, you will need to choose one or the other or find a compromise distance that gives you the best balance between the two.
There’s not a right or wrong thing to do in this case. It often depends on individual taste, sight, or the use you make of the screen in your room. So in the unlikely event, you do not want to choose one or the other or find that getting it exactly right is not convenient or adequate for your environment. Another possibility is to use a range rule of thumb to give you a range to aim for.
A popular rule of thumb is to use one foot of viewing distance for every 10 inches of diagonal screen size.
This may sound more complicated than it is:
- A 70-inch screen at 7 ft.
- 60-inch screen at 6 feet.
- A 50-inch screen at 5 feet.
This gives a field of view of about 40°, which is a little closer than the THX recommendation of 36°.
However, this is a reasonable distance for those who want to be close enough to get an excellent immersive experience without being too close. Of course, if you like to be even closer, that’s up to you.
Something like this can perhaps provide a starting point for a recommended viewing distance range.
The bottom end of the scale will allow a field of view of about 40°.
The higher-end will give you a little more than the maximum distance allowed according to THX guidelines so about 20° instead of the THX maximum of 26°.
It will allow for a home movie theater is much more likely to fit in a typical living area than in a dedicated theater space. Therefore, a greater distance may be required.
Anything in this range will work well. You only have to decide whether you prefer to be closer (for a more immersive experience with more detail) or farther away.
Of course, these are just general guidelines, so feel free to move closer or further away from this if it works best for you and your room.
Some TV models such as the Roku Smart TV, LG C9 Smart, LG C9 Smart OLED TV, TCL 3-Series Roku Smart TV have revamped digital TV. Today the advent of streaming has helped open up endless possibilities and uses for our Smart TV. Having a TV that is independent of cables can be a solution to avoid the clutter that commonly occurs in the rooms.
How wide is a 55-Inch TV: FAQs?
How wide across is a 55-inch TV?
The approximate width of a 55-inch TV is (121.7 cm).
Is a 55-inch TV 55-inch wide?
The screen dimensions of a 55-inch diagonal TV are 47.9-inches (W) x 27.0-inches (H).
However, the outside dimensions of the TV may vary, so add one to three inches to the width and approximately 6 inches to the height to play it safe. The 55 ″ TV screen (or any size) is measured diagonally.
Will a 55-inch TV fit in an SUV?
It may fit without a case. However, it is not advisable to transport an unprotected TV. What are the dimensions of a 55-inch Samsung Smart TV?
Learn More: How To Connect Samsung Smart TV To Home Theater
The 55″ Samsung Smart TV dimensions are 970.2 mm x 563.2 mm x 58.8 mm (W x H x D).
How big is too big for a TV
Going too big can create a less-than-impressive viewing experience in a small room, like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. And if it’s not 4K, it can even look blurry up close. A 70″ TV can already have this little problem.
How do you transport a 55-inch TV?
- Wrap a blanket around the screen and secure the blanket with a small rope or bungee cord.
- Use the plastic protective cover that came with the TV or buy a plastic wrap made for moving.
- Tape a piece of packing paper with painter’s tape.
Can a 55-inch TV fit in a sedan?
50″ to 55″ TVs probably won’t fit through any back seat. In the case of this vehicle, it will not work.
What is the weight of 55-inch TV?
The weight of a 55″ TV will easily range from 25 pounds for an LED TV to 100 pounds for plasma.
How wide is 55-inch TV in CM?
A 55″ TV can easily measure 121.7 cm.
How far should you be from a 55-inch TV?
A 55″ TV should sit between 4.5 and 7 feet away from the screen.
Learn More: How Do I Connect My Computer To My Samsung Smart TV
In general, it is advisable to buy a 4k TV, as TVs with lower resolution designs are becoming increasingly difficult to find. To quickly find out what size you should buy, you can divide the viewing distance of your TV (in inches) by 1.6 or use a TV size calculator, which is roughly equivalent to a 30-degree angle. If the best size is out of your budget, get the most prominent TV you can afford.
Comments are closed.