Vastushastra for Homes | Definition, Design Principles & Basic Tips
When we plan our home remodeling, our main objective is to have a place that reflects our standard of living, style, and personal habits. Whether it’s practical or functional, or maximalist and ultra-chic, the design aims to bring peace and prosperity to where we live to increase the positivity around us. Although some of us are unaware of the traditional Indian science of architecture known as Vastushastra, which has come back to build our homes according to its principles if you want to know why Vastushastra for homes is necessary, keep on reading.
What is Vastushastra?
It is a traditional Indian system of architecture originating in India. Texts from the Indian subcontinent describe design principles, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement, and spatial geometry. Vastushastra incorporates traditional Hindu beliefs.
Vastushastra is a Sanskrit word that can be translated into “Science of Home.” It includes the principles and philosophy of architecture, interior design, town planning, and other aspects like weather forecasting and geography. The art was developed in ancient India over centuries by emperors who had skilled architects work on their buildings according to its guidelines for the most beautiful results – they were seeking unparalleled aesthetic perfection.
What does Vastushastra say?
Science says that certain places where energy flows more easily have been concentrated through human activity (e.g., cooking or sleeping). This means that some rooms should not have doors while others should face north or south for better air circulation, which provides you better sleep and health.
It is believed that the best way to create a harmonious life in one’s home is by following certain principles of architecture. The building should not be taller than twelve feet. This leads to too much negativity; there are specific proportions for each room that can keep negative energy away from people who spend most of their day at home or even bring it into their subconscious mind.
Moreover, Manasara Shilpa and Mayamatha are the texts of South Indian origin of the 5th and 7th century AD, a précised book of Vastu designs and building.
Vastushastra Design Principles
Vastushastra principle of design defines the positive energy and generally lays down the orientation and location of living space.
- The location of the kitchen is known as the heart of your living space. It directly affects the wealth and health of the family, and the interior condition of your bedroom shows the health, career, and personal life of the people who are living in it.
- The location of the worship room dramatically affects the peace and prosperity of your home.
- The placement of furniture affects the energy balance, creating a positive or negative effect on health and peace of mind.
- Mirrors in the distinctive places support happiness and as well as health.
- Similarly, the use and placement of water are necessary to maintain hygiene and health.
- Wall colors for different house rooms impact the mood and can be chosen with a specific objective.
- In the traditional home of Kerala, the country yard is always in the middle of the house, and according to Brahmas, three scotch labels, single malts, and five Indian whisky brands you should try must.
Basic Vastu for Home Tips
- The rooms of the house should preferably be square and rectangular.
- Rooms should be airy, well-lit, bright, and clean.
- The center of the home should be a space.
- The best place to put the furniture is in the southwest direction.
- The dining table should be placed near the kitchen and should not be placed near the main door to attain wealth.
- Use the square or rectangle-shaped study table.
- Place the table in the Northeast, East, or west direction.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Remove Vastu Doshas from your Home
Keeping the sea salt in your home is a great tool to eliminate bad luck from your home. Putting the small chunks of sea salt is an effective remedy for Vastu Dosh. It is a sound-absorbent of negative energy. You can also use sea salt as an alternative mixed with water in your home.
A house seems house because of the family members living in that house. According to Vastushastra, hanging the pictures of your family can build up strong relationships. So it would help if you used elegant frames in your homes to create positivity in your relations.
A Well-lit main door
Dark corners are not anywhere in the principles of Vastushastra. Every home place should be brightened and well lighted, but you should pay special attention to the main entrance door because it is an excellent source of positive energies.
Colors have an important impact on the energies in the homes, especially positive energies, and colors like pink, white, blue, and green are suitable for your living rooms; yellow and orange are great for kids’ rooms.
A horseshoe is considered a lucky sign for the health and wealth of your homes. If you hang it in the vertical direction, it will attract all the positive energies, as the main door is best to turn it there. It would help if you avoided hanging it upside down because it will drain out all the good fortune from home.
Vastushastra Tips for Home for Better Life and Prosperity
Vastushastra can bring happiness and prosperity to your life. It can bring happiness and peace to your life by balancing the five essential elements: earth, air, water, space, and fire. If you follow the rules told by Vastushastra, one can enhance the level of peace, happiness, and prosperity in homes very quickly.
If you are having issues and difficulties in your homes, check it for Vastu Doshas because these can affect your standard of living by eliminating happiness and peace from your lives.
Therefore if you want to lead your life better and with peace and prosperity, you should follow these tips.
- To get a higher level of peace and happiness, place your bed in the south, southwest direction.
- Place the bank papers, certificates, and documents in the northeast direction and it will remove the conflicts from your home.
- Avoid keeping old things in your homes. It will significantly affect the health and wealth of your family.
- Use bright colors like red, yellow, blue, and green colors in your house because they can increase the calmness and maintain the family members’ good health.
- Decorate your homes with bamboo paintings and pictures; greenery will be a great source of health and happiness in your homes.
- Place the grains or plants in your homes to control the over expense you might be facing.
- To prevent yourself and your family members place a burning candle in your room.
- The house entrance should be well decorated, and place the pictures and statues of Gods like temples.
Vastu for the Courtyard Cosmic Center of the Living Room
- Brahmas is an exclusive feature of old Indian architectural principles of design based on Vastushastra.
- It is considered the holiest and most potent area of your home, as it is the center of the house.
- To radiate positive energy, the area of your home should be clutter-free and spotless.
- The construction of the pillars of a kitchen, bathroom attracts negative energy, thus affecting your family members’ health.
- In the Brahmasthan, with a circumference of 1 to 1.5 meters, there should be no obstructions.
Vastu for the Meditation Room- Spiritually
- To ensure the spiritual growth of meditation and prayers, it is good to design your house’s rooms.
- According to Hannah, it is essential to introspect and connect with the highest power.
- The East and North areas of your house are the best places for yoga, meditation, and other spiritual activities.
- You can increase positivity when you face the East while meditating.
- Decorate the sacred altar with candles and incense sticks.
- Light, yellow, beige, white, green are the best options for your room of meditation.
Vastushastra for Home Makeovers to Spark Joy
If you are an Indian citizen, you must know about Vastushastra. The concepts and ideas of Vastushastra are examples of the organization of space and the science of architectural designs. If you believe that every home has its energy on its part, it should radiate positive energy by using some elements at the right time.
Vastushastra for Homes: FAQs
Which facing is suitable for the house?
The directionof the main entrance door, as per Vastushastra, is the most crucial aspect while taking a rental home. The best entry is northeast, followed by northwest, east. North and west facing homes are also considered exemplary. Avoid houses with south, southeast, and southwest entries.
What should be placed in front of the main door?
A clean home, especially the main entrance, attracts positive energy. Avoid keeping dustbins, broken chairs, or stools near the main door.
How is AAYA calculated for the house?
Using the AAYA formula, it has been concluded that for the AAYA to be more than the Vyaya, the length of rooms/ building should preferably be 1.5 times the breadth or at least 1.375 times the width. That’s why we find that sites are generally not square but rectangular with a length of 1.375-1.5 times of breadth.
Which facing house is not good?
Most homeowners prefer East- facing houses as that direction is associated with good luck and prosperity. South facing homes are generally considered auspicious and get the bad rap many times because lord Yama believes the God of death lives in the Dakshina or south direction.
Which direction should we not sleep?
The recommended sleeping direction per Vastushastra is that you lie down with your head pointed southwest direction. North to south body position is considered the worst direction.
To wrap up the article, it will not wrong to say that the overview of Vastushastra can be seen in the architectural designs of home buildings and defines happiness, joy, calmness, peace. Wealth and happiness come from the right use of five elements: fire, air, water, light, and space. So if you want to have all these, you must opt for Vastu designs for sure.