How to Get a Possum Out of Your Garage | Follow 6 Outstanding Methods
This article majorly is meant to educate us on how to get a possum out of your garage.
Possums are generally not aggressive animals, but they can create unsanitary conditions and become aggressive if they get sick. There are several methods to get rid of them if they tend to gather in your garden. Most solutions involve making the environment less attractive. However, you can also set traps to capture them and physically remove them if other simple solutions don’t work.
How to Get a Possum Out of Your Garage
Possums are mostly non-aggressive animals. There are several ways to get a possum out of your garage, and most merely involve making the environment less appealing.
- Cover Openings
- Motion Activated Ultrasonic Devices
- Smells and Food
- Remove Food Sources
- Outdoor coverings and hiding places
Now, lets talk about the steps in detail.
Cover all vents or open access to your garage. Ensure attic vents and chimneys are covered with a grid screen: repair or cover holes in decks, window screens, and or door screens. Ensure you protect or lock pet doors at night.
Motion Activated Ultrasonic Devices
Place the motion-activated device near the problem area where possums most frequent. Motion-activated devices are triggered once the possum crosses the sensor; the instrument will then activate and turn on, which may frighten many possums away.
Smells and Food
Spread something that smells potent. Possums tend to flee from smells such as Ammonia, mothballs, and garlic. Apply a chemical repellent. These can be applied to gardens, flowerbeds, or the base of a structure.
Remove Food Sources
Possums are attracted to yards and homes where food is easy to obtain. By removing the food sources, you will make your property dramatically less appealing. Never intentionally provide food for possums. Possums fed by humans will gradually lose their fear of humans and may become aggressive if food is not given.
Keep possums from garbage bins by making sure the lids are shut tight. If possible, feed pets indoors or clean up food and water from outside once pets have been provided. Keep BBQs clean, including grease traps. If you have fruit trees, pick up fruit that has dropped or avoid the fruit dropping using netting.
Outdoor coverings and hiding places
Mow the tall grass, especially around garages and buildings. Remove piles of wood, clippings, and branches. Also, items like overturned planter or barrels are appealing to hide.
Use a humane live trap to capture possums without hurting or killing them. Set up a trap in an area where the possum frequents. Make sure you use appropriate bait such as fruit, berries, vegetables, and peanut butter to attract the possum into the cage.
Make sure you monitor the trap. Once you have captured the possum, move the trap to a quiet spot, and cover until you are ready to release it.
Home Remedies to Getting Rid of Possum
Possums can cause severe problems for people who use them to stay calm and in a quiet environment. They are tiny in size and flexible animals that are always in search of food. They are nocturnal and used to sleep during the day.
You can’t see them, but they used to leave signs of their presence through junk, tracks, overturned pet food, garbage cans, and damaged plants. If you find any signs of possums around your house, you should think about their removal. Some Possum repellent methods are necessary to get rid of them quickly.
The primary and essential problem is that the prevention method often fails because they are tiny organisms and use one for various reasons.
Cleanliness of the Location
Site cleanliness includes the removal of unnecessary trash and trash. One should put all the excessive garbage like dead leaves, trees, and fallen plants in the garbage bins and keep them away from the house. Cover all pet food and clean the barbecue grill too. Clean up all the fruit on the ground and trees, collect the garbage, and put it in the garbage bins.
Use Moth Balls
Pollution balls are unbearable since their smell bothers them. It would help if you used mothballs to remove possums as this is the cheapest way.
It is designed to keep possums away from eating any fabric moreover, it can help possums clear the enclosed area, such as under the couch and porch.
Cover the Vents
Possums can enter through holes, loose fans, extra spaces, and chimneys. They can also climb to reach the roof. So, it would be best if you covered all the openings to your house. Block out all unnecessary entry holes with rocks. Sealing of all open spaces, if necessary, use the 4-inch long fence. You can also use the electric fence.
Cut Long Tree Branches
Make the place unfavorable for them by cutting all the tree branches and cutting the bushes. Remove the thick herbaceous border and trees leading to the roof. Keep fresh water and fallen fruit clean. Examine your roof and front door properly, repair all broken pipes and tubes, and so on.
Degenerate weed masses from one place to another in your house because this is the easiest way to get rid of possums on your lawn. Unnecessary lumber collection should be kept in a more secure location. All garages, cabins, and sheds should be closed because possums hide under low spots. If necessary, metal obstacles should also be used. Otherwise, you will reluctantly give different animals and insects shelters and accommodations.
Fence around the house
To control possums, an electric, interlocking wire fence is a good idea. One should use the wall which will be 4 feet high, facing outward and some at some distance from the garden to stop them because they like to eat garden vegetables. If you want to choose an electric fence, then its length should be 3-4 inches from the top to prevent access by the possum.
Use Ammonia as a Deterrent
Ammonia is an efficient way to remove them from the house and gardens because it smells horrible. As we know, possums are nocturnal animals because they don’t like lights, and also the smell of Ammonia makes them unpleasant. One must strategically place ammonia scent in the house.
Install the Sprinkler in Your Patio
Since we know that they used to move at night, we cannot identify them. You should install sprinklers in places where you suspect insects and possums will make their shelter, but in the meantime, when the sprinkler works best is when the possums might be close to range. These products are an efficient and ordinary way to keep them away from your home.
One should apply some home remedies as well. Sprinkle some chili powder around your property as they cannot resist strong odors. You can also make a paste and spread it out. Quassia spray is also used for this purpose, mix 100g of chips with 2-liter water and heat it for an hour, also add a tablespoon of detergent and spray it. You can get Quassia Tokens from Nurseries.
Use Cat or Dog Hair
Cat and dog hair helps a lot in the removal of possums. Collect the hair of our cat or dog after brushing them, put them in small bags, and places them around the suspicious areas. The smell of their fur is the best trick to fool them that there might be another killer animal near the house.
Best Possum Repellents
Repellents affect one of the animal’s senses: smell, taste, or hearing. Some repellants have a scary odor, as the smell of natural urine enemy. The composition of granular and liquid repellants includes urine predators, powdered eggs, castor oil, garlic, soap, and products containing capsaicin (pepper extract). Electronic repulses, on the other hand, repel animals with flashing light, sound, or water.
Scientists from the Department of Ecology and Wildlife Conservation give the following instructions on applying repellants. Contact repellants that operate through smell and taste (pepper, capsisin) are applied directly to the plants. Repellants containing predatory urine, that is, “area repellants,” are applied directly to plants or applied to a larger surrounding area to create an invisible odor barrier. However, keep in mind that animals tend to get used to all deterrents after a while (that’s why they need to be changed regularly) and may ignore impediments when they starve.
Granular Pepper Repellent
Possum, like many other animals, detest like pepper. Havahart Critter Ridder 3146 Animal Repellent, 5 Pound Granular Shaker, for ~ $ 25.92, provides up to 30 days of protection in territory up to 300 square feet.
This repellent contains animal deterrent ingredients such as black pepper, peppermint, and capsaicin.
As well as it is easy to use thanks to the adjustable spout that allows it to be filled precisely with the required quantities. It is resistant to rain; another advantage of the product is the odor that will not irritate, which means it can be easily dispersed around the house. The repellent is safe for children and pets. Havahart Critter Ridder 3146 is suitable for use in basements, barns, cellars, gardens, and lawns.
Its action is based on three pillars: the annoying smell for animals, the taste, and the discomfort caused if the repellent is stepped on. These are easy to use, efficient, and cost-effective repellent.
- Patented all-natural organic formula repels by taste and odor, not offensive to humans. Contains oil of black pepper, peperine and capsaicin
- Effectively repels groundhogs, skunks, dogs, cats, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks and other nuisance animals
- Unique rain-resistant, OMRI Listed, animal repellent protects up to 300 square feet and provides up to 30 days of protection
Granular Predator Urine Repellent
You will get 28.5 oz. of pellet fox urine for only ~ $ $38.56. They will scare not only thrushes but also other harmful animals in their place, and neither you nor your pets will suffer from it. Shake-away All Natural Small Critter Repellent is safe for children and is not poisonous. It is 100% natural, and it is made from fox urine. Moreover, easy to use; it is enough to spread the granules around the area you want to protect.
- 3 lb., Repels All Granules
- Repels nuisance animals including skunks, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and many more from gardens, and planting areas
- Repels through smell, taste and irritation of eyes, and nose
Liquid Predator Urine Repellent
If you don’t feel like bothering with the granules, go ahead and use another natural opposition repellent, namely red fox urine, for ~ $ 12.75. It is the natural urine of the fox, without any added chemicals.
To use it, you need to put the sprinkler cap in place and sprinkle the place where you don’t want to see the possums a bit. The main thing is to do it with gloves; otherwise, you will have difficulty trying to wash off the sharp, unpleasant smell. Liquid repellent works slowly when it is raining, so be sure to use them only when the forecast does not promise prolonged rains.
- EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE: 100% Pure Wolf Urine is a powerful communicator to animals, even at the top of the food chain. Even when it comes to large, fierce animals, if they believe there is a wolf in the immediate area, they flee, making Wolf Pee on of the most effective solutions.
- REPEL BY INSTINCTS: By liberally marking an area with Wolf Pee, you duplicate the territorial marking habits of wolves in the wild. This illusion triggers an instinctive response in the prey. If wolf scent is around, these animals want to be far away.
- NUMBER ONE IN PEE: Harness the power of Urine the original brand in the pee business, PredatorPee. Established in 1986, it is still one of the only ways organic growers keep their crops safe without risking their certification.
Wolf urine repellants, namely Wolf P-Wick urine, can be an alternative. This $ 27.99 spray will make possums, and other animals think that there is a hungry wolf somewhere who wants to have them for dinner.
- Wolf Urine 12 ounce
- 100% Real Wolf Urine, not watered down or synthetic!
- Use the power of nature to your advantage!
Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler is just as effective.It stops the animals from utilizing a powerful jet of water. When an animal approaches the sprinkler, an infrared motion detector is triggered and fires a stream of water, scaring the animal but not harming it. It is a very humane way to get rid of pesky animals, not just possums. If the animal is in a tree, a repellent will not work, which significantly saves energy and water consumption.
Also, this method is very advantageous as the Orbit 62100 is not idle. When the built-in sensor detects movement in the range of up to 40 feet covering up to 1600 square feet, the water jet is activated, and the animal escapes. The water is immediately blocked.
It can also be used for regular irrigation of the beds of flowers and lawns. It is possible to customize the repellent working mode to a day, night, and 24/7 round clock mode. And remember, this tactic’s effectiveness can be short-lived (as animals get used to the sprinkler and are no longer afraid of it); therefore, you should move the sprinkler to new locations regularly.
Possum (and other animals) hate light. Predator Guard eliminates predators’ eyes and repels foxes, deer, wolves, coyotes, bears, owls, and many other wild animals.
With their aid, orchards, vineyards, ponds, sheds, chicken coops, garbage cans, houses, and lots, camps can be protected from night attacks.
- The night guardian is a long-lasting predator deterrent device, powered by solar, with 2 LED constantly emit red flashing light that resembles the eyes. It effectively keeps the wild animals away and protects the garden and livestock.
- Night guardian utilize the solar energy during the day, store the power in the rechargeable battery, and emits red warn light during the night. So please install this light at the places that has sun exposure!
- Wild predators are very watchful about the environment they are in, two red flashing light, which looks like the eyes are blinking, will make them feel that this place is not safe and run away. RED light can be seen as far as 800-1000 meters away if without any obstacle. Red light is vivid and strong.
Hoont Powerful Solar Outdoor Pest & Animal Repellent Solar Battery for ~ $ 49.95 has proven to be very useful and can switch between 3 modes. Its rating is 4.2 stars out of 5, 86% of customers are satisfied with it. It uses light and ultrasound, which is very effective against possums.
- The ultrasonic sounds and flashing LED strobes eliminates all animal intruders on your property
- Features three ultrasonic frequency settings, 7 sensitivity settings plus an optional on off flashing light
- Attach the included stake to the repeller and stick it into the ground then select your desired settings. The solar panels on top of the device help recharge the device under the suns energy.
The UV motion sensor points to an animal 30 feet away and activates the repellent. Hoont is suitable for use in yards, porches, garages, attics, gardens, and farms. Its use is quite simple: take it out of the box, stick it on the ground, and that’s it. The device is powered by batteries that are solar or USB powered.
How to Trap a Possum
Possums, or possums, are nocturnal animals that grow about the size of a large cat. Therefore, to catch a possum, you will need a giant cage, sometimes called a raccoon cage. Place the cage near the Opossum’s burrow or in areas it frequents. When attracting the cell, be sure to use foods that primarily attract possums, such as marshmallows, apples, and other sweet foods. Once you’ve captured the possum, you’ll need to transfer it. You can either move it yourself or call your local animal control agency. If you are relocating the Opossum yourself, be sure to take the necessary precautions.
Setting the trap
Buy a large steel cage. Since possums can grow to the size of a large cat – that is, two to three feet long and four to 15 pounds – you will need to purchase a large steel cage trap. These traps are also known as raccoon traps. Purchase a cage approximately 30-40 inches (.762-1 meter) in length and 12 inches (.305 meters) in height. Visit your local hardware store to purchase a trap cage.
- Most traps are available in one or two-door models. It is recommended to purchase a one-door model. One-door models offer better bait protection and are better for catching larger animals.
- ✓ QUALITY & MATERIAL: Our Medium 12.5 x 6.5 x 5.5 inch trap quality is different from other brands because it is made from a thicker gauged wire and frame. It's durable and corrosion-resistant, which is great for all seasons. It's super lightweight for easy carrying. It can be used indoors or outdoors.
- ✓ EFFECTIVE: Our hard to escape design has small mesh openings making it harder for the rodent to squeeze through and our sure-locked mechanism traps the rodent securely making it difficult to escape.
- ✓ INSTALLATION: Sets up in seconds! Just follow the instructions on the manual or check out our set-up video above.
Place the trap in the frequently occupied area. The best location for the trap is near the Opossum’s lair. However, if you don’t know where the Opossum’s den is, place the trap in the area where you noticed the most activity or damage, such as near garbage cans. Since possums are nocturnal marsupials, but the web in the designated area just before dusk.
- If the possum lives in your attic or garage, place the trap in the center of the space.
- If the opossum lives under the house, or in a crawl space, or the hollow of a tree, place the trap three to five feet outside the entrance.
- Remember to place the trap on a flat surface. Place a brick over the trap to keep it stable and to prevent the possum from turning it over.
Come out of the trap. Since possums are omnivores, almost any type of bait will work. However, try to choose tricks that will only attract possums and no other animals, such as cats. Apples, anise oil on bread, marshmallows, and other sweet bread are good examples of lures that will only attract possums.
- Using a small amount of food creates a trail that will lead to the trap.
- Make sure you place the food in a way that will force the artwork to climb onto the trigger plate, which will close the trap door. For example, make sure the possum has to climb onto the trigger plate to reach the food.
- If food gets stuck between the trigger plate and the cage’s bottom, the hatch will not close.
Check the trap frequently. Check the web every morning after setting it. You don’t want the possum to be stuck in the mine for more than a day. These may cause the opera to become hungry and thirsty, and therefore anxious and aggressive. They are also more vulnerable to predators if they are trapped for long periods.
- If your trap is still empty in the morning, close the trap to avoid catching animals by days, such as cats and squirrels.
Step-5: Possum removal
Wear heavy gloves. Once you have captured the possum, you will need to remove the cage with the possum inside it. When handling the cell, be sure to wear heavy gloves. Buy gloves specially made for taking animals, such as Kevlar gloves.
- EXCELLENT BITE PROOF: RAPICCA Leather Animal Handling Gloves is made by Top Grain Leather and reinforce Kevlar Double Leather Finger Palms & Backs, provide an excellent bite-proof function from small animal for your hands and Forearm.
- SUPERIOR SECURITY FOR FORERAMS - The 16 inches extra long glove with 7.5 inches long sleeve protect your Fingers and Forearm from Animal bite, Cat scratch, Parrot grabbing, Eagle grabbing, Snake bite etc.
- THICK AND DURABLE - RAPICCA Leather Animal Handling Gloves are made from carefully-selected thick and soft shoulder split natural cowhide leather which is Puncture Resistant, Cut Resistant, Bite Resistant, Heat Resistant, Oil Resistant and Fire Resistant. This pair of heavy duty gloves will last for a long time.
Place a blanket over the cage. Before lifting the pen, place a blanket on top. Placing a blanket over the cell will calm the possum. It will also prevent the possum from reaching out to grab hands, legs, or shoes. When lifting the cage, be sure to lift it by the handle.
- Don’t put your fingers in the trap.
- When carrying the trap, move it away from your legs and feet.
Put the trap in a newspaper. Place the trap on top of the newspaper or in a cardboard box in the car or the back of the truck. These will prevent any feces from getting in your vehicle when transporting the possum.
Reposition the possum. Contact your local wildlife management agency to find safe and humane relocation areas. Since possums have a great sense of smell and direction, you should move the artwork to a place that is at least 25 miles from your home.
- Examples of safe and humane relocation areas are nature reserves, forests, and places similar to an opossum’s natural habitat.
Open the cage and walk away. When you find a suitable transfer area, place the trap safely on the ground. Point the trap opening away from you and in the direction of the area where you intend to move the animal, i.e., facing the forest. Push the safety bar and springs down, and pull the hatch entirely.
These allow the possum to get out of the trap safely.
- Always stay behind the trap cage when you release the possum.
- If the possum turns to look at you as it is coming out of the cage, raise your arms in the air and make loud predatory noises as if you were a bear. It will scare the Opossum and make it walk away and walk away.
- If the possum doesn’t leave immediately, get out of the cage and get into your car. Wait 10 minutes before re-checking the cell.
Contact your local animal control agency. If you are relocating yourself uncomfortably, contact your local animal control or wildlife management agency. Let them know that you have captured a possum and need help relocating it. They will send someone to your house to transfer the possum for you.
We believe you have learned a lot regarding this article on how to get a possum out of your garage and other relevant topics discussed in the article.
Possums are also useful and beneficial for your garden because they also serve to eat snails, insects, and other small organisms. They will even eat the fallen fruits and dry leaves and clean your garden; hence they are not only useful for the harmful nut in many ways.
Read More: How to Get Rid of Green Ants Naturally