How to Install a Lock on a Bedroom Door | 4 Types of Lock Installation
We know that there are reasons that lead a person to install a bedroom door lock for his place. One of them is, of course, that security feeling. Another reason is privacy. We mean, avoid being seen by other people living in the home. Although a bedroom should only provide rest to the user, some people give it to other uses. When used for meditation, reading, watching TV, or any other, the need to place a lock type arises. There may also be a dangerous situation in which it is necessary to lock oneself in the room until help is received. In this case, the lock should be easy to open from the inside if, for reasons of nerves or speed, you cannot find the key to open. In this article, I will guide you how to install a lock on a bedroom door.
Since everything translates into a monetary expense nowadays, looking for a locksmith is not the best option. You may also have to look for an expert lock picker. However, install a lock and handle on the door is very simple, even though you are a beginner. There are bedroom door locks in various types. Below we give you a simple categorization to easy fit bedroom door locks.
How to Install a Lock on a Bedroom Door
Classification of Locks
This type of lock is popular among users, and there are three classifications of locks: single, double, and lockable. The simple lock is that one called lock of the entrance with key. They have a cylinder with a key to use on the outside and a thumb-turn inside.
As its name indicates, the double lock has two cylinders—one on the inside and one on the outside. You can use the key on both sides. The lockable locks have a thumb turn on the inside and a cylinder for the key on the outside. In a certain way, this locking plate is a union of the other two previous ones. This type of lock is commonly recommended, as it provides greater security.
How to Install Locks on Bedroom Door
Installing a deadbolt lock for doors should be done with the following steps:
- Take the template plus tape and fix it. Lean fixing door lock.
- Take the measurements of the door space where you want to install the deadbolt.
- Mark 6 cm on the knob.
- Indicate on the template the reference points.
- If the door does not have a hole for the lock, make it with a hole saw. Open screw holes.
- Open another hole through the middle of the door edge using a spade bit.
- Put in the bolt.
- Chisel the faceplate into place with a wood chisel.
- Drill pilot holes and fasten the bolt with the screws provided.
- Make sure that the turntable and the cylinder are aligned.
- Make sure they are securely fastened.
- Proceed to install the outer part on the door with the inner section.
- Make sure that both the screw holes and the mounting holes are aligned inside the lock.
- Secure the deadbolt with the screws.
- Re-use the spade bit to drill two pilot holes in the door frame.
- Tighten the screws securely, and you’re done.
They are commonly used to protect residences with a deadbolt. There are door locks that are knob locks. In that knob is where the cylinder is located, and it is very easy to violate or damage them. Even with a rock or hammer, they can be damaged. For this reason, it is not recommended for installation on main access doors. Other knob locks have a push-button lock.
How to Install Doorknob Locks on Bedroom Door
- If you replace the old lock with the new one, remove the old one with a screwdriver.
- Also, remove the latch and plate.
- Replace the plate aligning it with the door mortise.
- Using the screws provided with the new latch, secure it to the inside of the door, close to the edge of the door.
- Align on the inside of the knob the long shaft attached to the doorknob outside the latch.
- Use a screwdriver to fasten the screws into the plate, and you are done.
They are generally used on bedroom doors with the intention of opening without letting in. It only allows attending the person who is on the outside without giving way to the bedroom. Thus the door is opened but not completely.
Installation: the installation of this type of lock is very simple compared to the previous ones.
How to Install Chain Locks on Bedroom Door
- Fix the template for the locking plate with adhesive tape.
- Make sure that this template is 3 to 6cm above the door handle.
- Mark the points on the template with a graphite pencil.
- Mark Drill holes.
- Attach the locking plate to the door with the screws.
- Tape the template to the wall aligned with the locking knob.
- Mark the template again.
- Open the holes and secure the chain bracket with the screws.
These are the cheapest and easiest to install and remove. This locking mechanism comes in two types—those with keys and those with the combination. Keyed entrance locks may or may not retain the key. When the key is retained, it means that you open the padlock, and the key does not come out until you close it again.
The keyless padlock is the other way around. On the other hand, combination padlocks have numeric dials that require you to enter the exact combination that will unlock the padlock.
The shoulder shackle that padlocks come with prevents them from being cut with a bolt cutter.
How to Install Chains on Bedroom Door
- Place a latch. To do this, close the door and measure the height where you want to place the padlock—Mark, with a graphite pencil.
- Place the loop plate and the latch at the same time. Remember that the loop must fit properly in the slot of the latch.
- Fix the latch loop to the door using a screwdriver and screws.
- Hold the swing arm to the door jamb again using the screws and screwdriver.
- Hold the latch plate with the padlock of your choice.
- There are other types of locks that you can install on a bedroom door. The ones mentioned here are the most common and easiest to install. But there are electronic locks, smart locks, cylindrical lever locks, portable door locks, and key locks. Others are combination locks, and rim latch locks for doors, euro cylinder locks, mortise locks, and hook locks.
- Select a lock on the bedroom door of your choice and install it.
How to Install a Lock on a Bedroom Door: FAQs
How much does it cost to install a lock on a bedroom door?
The materials alone to install a lock will cost approximately $130.50 per lock with a range of $99.90 to $160.00. This does not include the cost of a locksmith. Therefore, the ideal is to install them ourselves.
How do I lock my bedroom door?
There are different ways, and the simplest one is to install a lockable cylinder lock. This way, you will be able to lock and unlock from the inside more easily. This is for emergency cases. But there are various locks such as padlocks, padlocks with chains, electronic locks, smart locks, cylindrical lever locks, deadbolt locks. There are also euro cylinder locks, mortise locks, doorknob locks, and hook locks.
How do I make a homemade bedroom door lock?
Very easily! Use wood and make a dowel that you can secure to the door. Secure it with some thick, strong screws also, with a reinforcement lock or wooden lever to secure it.
Read More: How To Unlock Magnetic Door Lock
When we lock on the bedroom door, we do it to prevent unwanted people from entering it. It is necessary to know the lock, locks, and installation types to carry out this activity. On the other hand, we must take out the budget that requires acquiring the materials. However, when looking for greater security, we must make an effort. This article provides the necessary information to achieve it. That is to say, knowing the types of locks will make it easier to choose the one that suits us best.
Something very important to take into account is when moving house. Even if we have all the keys, it is preferable to change the locks. This way, we will be safer. Don’t think that the bedroom is the only place in the house that you must protect. Read and put into practice the instructions we give you here to install the ideal lock. Don’t leave your security to others—select door locks for the bedroom that are easy to adjust and be guided by the steps above.
Remember that also, to save more and you can make a homemade lock. And then you won’t pay for the service. For it to be economical, we recommend that it is made of wood. Since the iron ones usually need an expert or blacksmith to make them. Besides, they are of high cost but not the wooden one. It is more accessible and economical. So don’t think about it. Install a lock on a bedroom door now and have some privacy. Follow the steps above, and enjoy being alone sometimes. This is a great opportunity to do something for you.