Is Laundry Detergent Causing Your Child’s Skin Rash | Expert Guide
Parents have been reporting that their children are experiencing skin rashes after using laundry detergent. Despite the recent reports, there is no conclusive evidence to confirm a link between laundry detergent and this type of rash. I will discuss what parents should do if they suspect their child’s skin rash may be caused by laundry detergent. In this guide, I will discuss is laundry detergent causing your child’s skin rash?
The American Academy of Dermatology has not found any definitive correlation between skin rashes and laundry detergent, but parents are reporting that their children are getting itchy or dry patches on their arms or legs shortly after coming into contact with the soap. This rash usually disappears within a few days without treatment, but it can still be very uncomfortable for your little one!
Some soaps cause skin eruptions, and when this happens, you have to seek the remedy immediately.
Is Laundry Detergent Causing your Child’s Skin Rash?
Laundry detergents are a threat to our health. Even if they don’t cause rashes, there’s still the risk of contact dermatitis or other allergic reactions which will turn your skin into an itchy mess and make you miserable for weeks at a time.
Laundry detergent wreaks havoc on people all over from young children to adults alike; not only does laundry soap contain fragrances, preservatives, dyes, and various chemicals that can trigger allergies like contact dermatitis (a red rash with itchiness) but some also have harsh ingredients such as chlorine bleach in them too – these types of products may irritate sensitive parts of your body including armpits and groin areas where clothing rubs up.
Home Treatment Options to Eliminate the Rash
Whatever the source of an itchy rash, it should be tended to take care of your health. To soothe the pain caused by a rash, doctors prescribe lotions, creams, or antihistamines. Additionally, homemade remedies such as oatmeal baths and cold compresses are recommended.
Something that should be avoided when suffering from this condition is scratching to not worsen the situation and not receive an infection.
In this article, we recommend some alternatives to treat skin rash from home.
How to Heal Skin Rash from Home?
Placing cold water compresses in the area of the rash
It is a very old home remedy and prevents the skin from becoming inflamed. The pain stops if you apply this method, and the rashes will not spread further. Reduces pain immediately, relieving itching. Some prepare their cloth bags filled with ice for these cases.
Procedure: wet and cloth with cold water or prepare a cloth or perhaps plastic bag. It is filled with ice and placed on the skin. And until the itching stops, don’t let go of your skin.
Repeat the procedure if you find it required.
How it works: you must limit blood flow in any area when you apply the cold water compress.
For centuries, this household remedy has been used as a home remedy. It is effective in treating painful skin conditions, including burns.
Procedure: Fill a bathtub with water and mix a packet of colloidal oatmeal.
Then the person will soak in that mixture and stay there for half an hour. Finally, shower with lukewarm water.
Functioning: Oatmeal relieves itching, is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It also helps against the dryness and roughness of the skin. Oats contain oils that act to repair the skin, strengthening the skin barrier.
Aloe Vera plant
This plant etymologically has served as a curative of skin conditions to remedy different diseases for cuts, wounds, burns, inflammations, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral and antioxidant.
Procedure: Aloe Vera contains crystals that are effective in soothing itchy skin and irritation. To do this, the affected area is washed and dried well to allow greater absorption of the plant gel.
In pharmacies, they sell preparations of this compound and aloe vera. However, new crystals of the plant are recommended. This is because it tends to lose effectiveness over time. After all, it degrades.
It is usually suggested to use it twice a day. Some doctors additionally recommend this home remedy.
Functioning: Its anti-inflammatory effects are due to its components. Among its components, we can name zinc, calcium, essential fatty acids, magnesium, enzymes, sterols, carbohydrates, and different vitamins (B-12, A, C, and E).
However, there are possibly people who happen to be allergic to aloe vera.
- Height at shipping is approximately 7-inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant. Ships in a 4-inch diameter décor pot.
- Grow Aloe Vera in bright, direct sunlight for the best growth and enjoy!
- Water Aloe Vera with approximately 1/2 cup of water about once every 2 weeks. Adjust as needed for your environment.
In tropical countries, coconut is used for centuries as a cooking oil and skin moisturizer. This oil is extracted from the coconut pupa and its milk.
It has a large amount of saturated fat and anti-inflammatory and antiseptic characteristics.
On the subject of people allergic to coconut, you should test before using its oil. This test is done on the inside of the arm, and if there is no irritation, it will be safe to use. You should expect whether or not irritation appears for 24 hours. Otherwise, people should discontinue its use.
Procedure: for the skin and scalp, it is safe. It is applied to the affected area or the entire body. If the oil is not processed, its effectiveness is greater since it will thus preserve its antimicrobial and antioxidant characteristics.
Functioning: The components of coconut oil improve skin hydration, lipid levels in dry, rash, and flaky skin.
- Raw coconut oil: Our unrefined coconut oils are not hydrogenated, bleached, refined, or deodorized
- Organic coconut oil: USDA certified organic, non GMO project verified, raw, certified vegan, pareve MK kosher, gluten free, dairy free
- Extra virgin coconut oil: This pure coconut oil dietary supplement is an excellent source of healthy fat burning medium chain fatty acids for weight loss and management
From this tree, you can get an essential oil that comes from the plant. This oil works as an anti-inflammatory.
Procedure: this oil is placed diluted on the skin.
It can be combined with different oils such as coconut or olive oil in drops. Also, when mixed with moisturizing lotion.
It is used after bathing and if you have an itchy scalp as well. The important thing is the care when applying, for example, in the eye area.
Some products contain tea tree oil on the market. On the other hand, some people are allergic to this product.
Functioning: useful against viral, bacterial, protozoal, and fungal infections of the skin. You must dilute it in oil or cream. Otherwise, it will irritate the skin.
- Natural deodorant
- Rejuvenating properties
- Promotes wellness
This is a very old remedy you can use to treat skin rash. This includes poison ivy, insect bites, or rashes.
Procedure: dilute two cups of baking soda in a tub of warm water and soak them. Rinse dry, and then apply like a moisturizer. Another option to prepare it is a paste with a little water and applies it to the skin.
How it works: it works by balancing the pH of the skin and calms the rash. This is thanks to its chemical composition.
- Bottled in USA
- 100% Pure
- Food and USP Pharmaceutical Grade
It comes from the dry Chinese herb Qing Dai and is a dark blue powder that Treats mild soap to moderate psoriasis and the consequences of inflammation.
Procedure: apply it to yourself in cream twice a day: color both skin and clothing blue. However, with washing, the ink comes off.
How it works: scientists are trying to find out the components of indigo naturalis, but it reduces inflammation.
- ✅ NO MORE ITCHING - Struggling with rough, itchy, or flaky skin every day? This face and body balm is infused with indigo naturalis, which may help provide relief from skin redness or irritation.
- ✅ SOFTER, GLOWING SKIN - Maintain the softness of your skin with this itch balm. It contains Vitamin E, shea butter, aloe vera, argan, almond, and hemp seed oil that help hydrate and moisturize your skin.
- ✅ FEEL & LOOK GREAT - Care for your skin all year round with this moisturizer balm. Compared to ordinary creams or lotions, our dry skin balm lasts longer and is readily absorbed by the skin.
Apple cider vinegar
It is antimicrobial.
Procedure: applied to the skin in a diluted or undiluted form several times a week. But it is not recommended on cracked skin or bleeding of the scalp.
Functioning: it is special to treat skin inflammation since it limits the cytokines that produce it.
- ✔️ The Premium Apple Cider Vinegar 1600 mg – NutriFlair ACV is packed with record breaking 1600mg per Serving of all natural, vegan friendly Apple Cider Vinegar capsules with The Mother; the NutriFlair brand boasts the highest available potency of ACV supplements found on the market today; Our best quality apple cider vinegar pills are formulated to promote healthy lifestyle changes and health benefits such as, circulation, balanced PH levels, healthy digestion and overall wellbeing
- ✔️ Healthy Weight Management, Diet, Digestion, Detox: Acv Pills are great for weight control and supports healthy weight with proven cleansing properties that can flush out impurities found in the body; Our capsules are All Natural and made with pure ingredients; Our apple cider powder includes 800 mg of pure extract per Serving; Whether you’re using this as a Fat Reducer or as an Appetite Suppressant, the solution is here for you to enjoy; You have found the most potent acv on the market today
- ✔️ Health and Energy: You will absolutely love the added energy you will receive without the jitters; Do you know what tops the list for all natural ways to lower blood pressure? Bingo you guessed it - Apple Cider Vinegar; Energy equals a better state of mind which in turn produces better things in our lives; Combining apple cider vinegar capsules with premium keto diet pills can just explode you forward in weight reduction and energy; Supports Keto lifestyle; Can be used with keto pills & diet
These salts are rich in magnesium and minerals and relieve itching, flaking, aches, and pains.
Procedure: in a tub of hot water, add two cups of Epsom salts. If it is for a child, ask a doctor about the dose beforehand. Soak for 15 minutes rinse and pat dry. Then apply a moisturizer.
Functioning: they act by reducing inflammation.
- One 3-pound resealable bag of epsom salt crystals
- Relaxing soaking aid for bath or soaking tub
- If you like Dr Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, we invite you to try Solimo Epsom Salt Crystals
These are, for example, olive oil, safflower seed, argan, or chamomile oil.
Procedure: used for dermatitis.
Functioning: they reduce inflammation of the skin and generate a protective layer. Each type of oil has its function.
- A cholesterol free food
- 0 grams trans fat per serving
- Light taste, never greasy
5 Common Skin Rashes and When to See the Doctor
It is necessary to understand what is related to rashes or skin blisters to know how to treat them and go to the doctor.
- Contact dermatitis.
- Heat rash.
- Poison ivy.
If you use home remedies and the inflammation or itching does not stop, it is time to visit a doctor.
Irritated skin on your child? It can be your detergent.
The most common factor in irritating the skin is detergent, and babies have skin that is more susceptible to this problem. Therefore, you should wash the baby’s clothes in separate loads from the rest of the family. It is also ideal to use laundry detergents and fabric softeners that do not stain or perfume. Double rinse clothing and do not use bleach or stain remover. Replace them with hot water and mild or neutral soap.
Diagnosing Food Allergy and Eczema Flare-Ups
- Eczema flare-ups and food allergies appear linked in certain patients. This is because, in a way, eczema can cause food allergies.
- Keratosis pilaris (“chicken skin”)
- Keratosis pilaris is not caused by diet. Many people tend to develop it for different reasons, and diet has nothing to do with them.
Sunscreen and Skin Irritation
If a person has a history of eczema or sensitive skin and applies sunscreen, they can suffer a reaction that generates skin irritation. In this case, the area where the protector was applied will be slightly red or have a stinging sensation but not red.
Solutions for skin irritation
With cold water or ice pack on the skin for 10 minutes until the itching subsides. You can also take an oatmeal bath; use an anesthetic with pramoxine, elements that refresh, such as menthol or calamine.
Food Allergy and Eczema Flare-Ups
The allergy to certain foods can lead to eczema or atopic dermatitis. However, it is not the cause.
Hives come when you feel food allergies after ingestion for about 30 minutes. Such an allergy rarely causes delayed eczema flare-ups.
Diaper rash treatment
You should treat diaper rash by keeping your baby’s skin clean and dry skin. When the problem persists before home treatment, go to the doctor. The pediatrician will indicate: a cream containing hydrocortisone, and if it is a fungal infection, he will prescribe an antifungal cream.
You must protect your skin from chemicals. These contain substances that can trigger many allergic reactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does laundry detergent rash look like?
Symptoms could be a red rash moderate to heavy itching. Whether ooze or crust over, blisters.
Is my child allergic to laundry detergent?
Fragrances, condoms, thymes, and other compounds may cause a rash in children and adult patients in laundry detergent. Washer detergents can lead to a disease known as contact dermatitis, a red, jerky rash that can be common or restricted to particular places, such as the armpits and the groin.
Read More: Does All Laundry Detergent Have Borax
How long does it take for the detergent rash to go away?
If you can avoid the offending chemical, the rash generally clears itself in two to four weeks. You can try calming your skin with cool, moist compresses, anti-itch lotions, and other self-care activities.
What causes skin irritation in kids?
Insects such as bees, wasps, mosquitos, fire ants, and ticks can sting and irritate the skin, causing itching and slight pain. Insect bites and stings can induce anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction that involves a rash or hives, and life-threatening symptoms like airway edema in some children.
What does an allergic skin rash look like?
Hives (also known as urticarial) are irritating lumps on the skin. When pushed, hives usually appear crimson and “blanch” (or turn white) in the middle. Exposure to an allergen or irritant is the most common cause of contact dermatitis.
What laundry detergent do dermatologists recommend?
Dermatologists, allergists, and pediatricians suggest all® free clear liquid laundry detergent like the best detergent for sensitive skin.
What does textile dermatitis look like?
Textile contact dermatitis is in your skin, including redness, scaling, and itching. Symptoms may emerge within hours of contact with the substance, or they may not show for days.
Does fabric softener irritate skin?
Fabric softener and dryer sheets can irritate the skin. They can also cause itching.
Why are my clothes making Me Itch?
It’s a kind of dermatitis. Its skin is responsive to the fibers of your clothing, as well as the dyes, resins, and other chemicals used to treat it.
What gets rid of a rash overnight?
- Apply a cold compress to your skin.
- Applying ice to a rash is one of the quickest and easiest ways to relieve discomfort and itching
- Oatmeal bath
- Aloe Vera (fresh)
- Coconut oil
- Tea tree oil
- Baking soda
- Indigo naturalist
- Apple cider vinegar
How do you get rid of contact dermatitis fast?
- Cool compresses. To treat the afflicted area, use a cold, moist towel.
- Remove any debris from the affected area. If you’ve come into touch with something unpleasant, wash it off right away.
- Ointments sold over-the-counter (OTC).
- Baths in lukewarm water.
- Scratching is not a good idea.
- Lotions and moisturizers.
What does an allergic reaction to laundry soap look like?
A rash, such as hives; sneezing, or itchy water eyes, especially if you are sensitive to the fragrance of the product; and symptoms like tightness in your skin, another rash, and itching, even after washing and using moisturizer, are some of the signs of a soap allergy.
Why does my child get a rash in the bath?
The hot water’s drying impact, as well as the tiny amounts of dissolved chemicals found in most water, can serve as a trigger on sensitive skin, causing a red, itchy flare-up.
What ingredient in soap causes dermatitis?
Dr. Dunnick said that shampoos are a typical source of contact dermatitis. Also, alkyl glucosides and mild surfactants, normally low irritants, are also frequent offenders in discussing hidden allergens in shampoos and soaps.
Can dogs be allergic to laundry detergent?
Itching can result from allergies to chemicals in detergent, irritated skin in your dog, and promote chronic skin and ear infections. Furthermore, if your pet chews on their blankets, some compounds, in particular, washing detergents might be hazardous to them.