What to Hang Instead of Hanging Baskets | 15 Items You Must Use
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before acting based on anything you read or see.
Hanging baskets are a decorative and practical way to add a splash of life to the exterior of your home. However, there are other ways to do this. There are many alternative options for hanging decorations with the same eye-catching impact that you can use to add a unique touch to your outdoor space.
What to Hang Instead of Hanging Baskets
- Terrariums – These small, enclosed glass containers display miniature plants perfectly.
- Macrame plant hangers – Instead of hanging a basket, try a macrame hanger to add a bohemian touch to your space.
- Wall-mounted planters – These can be attached to walls and used to hold plants and other decorative items.
- Hanging glass orbs – These can be used to hold air plants, succulents, or other small plants.
- Tiered plant stands – These can be used to display plants at varying heights, giving a more dynamic look to your space.
- Woven baskets – Large woven baskets can hold plants and other decorative items.
- Vertical gardens: They are ideal for growing various plants in a small space and can be hung on a wall or fence.
- Plant shelves – These can be hung on walls to display plants and other decorative items.
- Mason jars – These can be hung from hooks or mounted on a wooden board and used to hold small plants or flowers.
- Birdcages – Old birdcages can be repurposed as unique plant holders.
- Wooden crates – These can be hung from hooks and used to hold plants, books, or other decorative items.
- Vintage tin cans – These can be painted and hung from hooks to create a rustic look.
- Repurposed kitchen items – old colanders, tea kettles, and other kitchen items- can hold plants and add a touch of whimsy to your space.
- Sconces – Wall-mounted sconces can hold plants and other decorative items.
- Ladder shelves – These can be used to hold plants and other decorative items and can be hung from a ceiling or mounted on a wall.
Let’s discuss some of them in detail below;
Wicker Basket Planters.
Consider wicker basket planters if you want a unique and stylish alternative to traditional hanging baskets.
These planters feature a woven design resembling a conventional basket more closely than a planter.
They come in various sizes and styles and can be hung from walls, doors, or railings. For a rustic look, you can choose a basket planter made from natural materials such as rattan or bamboo.
These baskets are a unique way to add a touch of style to your outdoor space and a great way to show off your favorite plants and flowers.
Painted Buckets and Pails.
Consider painted buckets and pails if you want something more creative to hang instead of traditional baskets. Paint your bucket or pail any color you like, and hang it with a hook or bracket.
You can hang flowers, plants, or other decorations in the bucket or pail. The painted buckets and pails will add a colorful and creative touch to your home.
Plus, they come in various sizes so that you can find the perfect size for your space.
Hanging Potted Plants.
Hanging potted plants is a great way to bring the outdoors inside and add color and life to your space. They can be hung anywhere, even if you only have a little wall space. They can also be moved around easily, so you can switch up your look whenever possible.
Hanging potted plants is also a great way to add a touch of greenery to a small space, like a balcony or a window ledge. And, since you can pick a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, you’ll be able to find something that fits your style.
Hanging Window Boxes.
Hanging window boxes are a great alternative to traditional hanging baskets. They come in various sizes and shapes so that you can find the perfect fit for your windows.
They look great when you place flowers or plants inside, and you can also fill them with herbs or vegetables for a functional touch.
Hanging Window boxes can be hung on any wall, providing a great way to add color to your outdoor space. They are easy to install, clean, and maintain and can last for years with proper care.
Hanging Flower Stakes.
Flower stakes may be the perfect option if you want something to hang from your porch instead of a traditional hanging basket.
Hanging flower stakes are significant, decorative ones extending to the ground, allowing you to plant flowers or vines at the base.
These flower stakes perform to have a hanging basket effect but without the need to hang the basket from the ceiling. Flower stakes come in various styles and colors, allowing you to customize your garden with a personalized look.
With simple installation and no hanging hardware required, flower stakes are a great way to add a touch of beauty to your outdoor space.
Floral Scrap Baskets.
Instead of a traditional hanging basket, why not try something slightly different and more eco-friendly? Floral scrap baskets are an easy and stylish way to bring life and color to your home.
They are made from upcycled materials like newspaper, twine, and fabric scraps and come in various sizes and shapes.
You can hang floral scrap baskets from a ceiling, wall, or door filled with plants, flowers, and herbs. Not only do they look beautiful, but they are also a great way to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Hanging Kokedama Ornaments.
If you want a unique twist on the classic hanging basket, why not hang kokedama ornaments? Kokedama is a type of Japanese bonsai comprised of a plant encased in a moss ball, often hung from a string.
They are beautiful, easy to care for, and in various sizes and shapes. This makes them suitable for any size space.
Plus, they are a fun and exciting way to decorate your home, adding a unique and natural touch to any room. Try hanging kokedama ornaments instead of traditional baskets for a modern and stylish look!
Ultimately, the type of alternative you choose to hang instead of hanging baskets depends on the look you are going for.
Whether you opt for an eye-catching macramé wall hanging, a stylish wire basket, or a unique decorative planter, you can make a statement with your choice.
With endless possibilities, you will surely find something that speaks to your style and tastes.
Hanging plants are a great way to add life and color to your space. It is a good idea to hang them over baskets because they can provide the same benefits as plants in baskets but with more versatility.
Hanging plants are great for people with little space to grow plants. You can hang them from a table or the ceiling, and they will still produce the same benefits.
The best type of plant for your living space depends on what you need from it. If you want something that will filter out toxins, go with a spider plant.
If you want something that is easy to maintain and doesn’t need much light, choose Boston ferns or Peace lilies.
One of the benefits of hanging plants over baskets is that they are easier to maintain. They don’t need as much water or maintenance as plants in a basket; you can put them in any space you want.
The only downside is that they may look better if the plant drops or when it needs enough water.
- Brougham. (2022, May 17). 15 Creative Ways to Hang a Plant Outdoors. Retrieved January 11, 2023, from https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/15-creative-ways-to-hang-a-plant-outdoors/
- Spangler, C. (2022, May 22). What Can I Hang Instead Of Hanging Baskets? Alternatives Ideas. Retrieved January 11, 2023, from https://outdoorlivingway.com/what-can-i-hang-instead-of-hanging-baskets/
- Morgan. (2021, October 10). Alternatives for Hanging Baskets. Retrieved January 11, 2023, from https://homeguides.sfgate.com/alternatives-hanging-baskets-87884.html
Comments are closed.