Type of Ceiling Paint for Kitchens | Ceiling Paint for Kitchens
Articles, products, and services offered on this site are for informational purposes only. We are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Amazon.com is compensated for sales resulting from links on our website.
Please review our disclaimer before acting based on anything you read or see.
The type of ceiling paint for kitchens that you choose is significant. Since a too glossy paint shows all the flaws that your kitchen may have, while a paint that is too light is more difficult to clean, it is essential to make a good choice. Before considering a choice of paint for your ceiling, it is essential to look at it. These are things that homeowners should take into account.
It doesn’t matter if you choose a specific ceiling paint or general interior paint. Latex is one of the best choices because it is characterized by its fast drying time. It also brushes off easily and emits a slight odor compared to oil-based paint.
Best Paints for Kitchen Ceilings
In the kitchen, one of the most debatable issues out there is the ceiling. This generally tends to catch all the grease from our meals. That is why choosing suitable paints are essential.
Lighter colors can generally add illusions of depth. While darker shades can make the kitchen feel a bit small. One of the things you should focus on is the exact paint color and sheen.
Almost always, matte paint is the best kitchen ceiling paint. Now, glossy or even eggshell paints can stand out on the ceiling. Unless you opt for a bit more of an ambient look, in this case, you will probably benefit more from sticking to the matte finish paint.
Read More: How To Remove Paint From Kitchen Cabinets
Among the best possibilities for painting your kitchens are:
EMF Protective Paint
This paint is one of the best as it is very resistant to water and corrosion. This makes it an excellent choice of primer for any ceiling.
Generally speaking, it is considered a very durable product but also environmentally friendly paint. It is one of the best options you have for your kitchen. It is also suitable for both interior and exterior use.
- Approximate price: $ 229 (1.32 gallon.)
- Advantage: It is very resistant to corrosion, water, and peeling. It can block high-frequency radiation.
- Cons: It is one of the more expensive options.
- High water resistance and environmentally friendly.
- Attenuation of 36dB (effectiveness of 99.98%) one layer, 43dB (effectiveness of 99.995%) two layers
- Perfect corrosion resistance:no contain metalic particles, no oxidizing, long term durability
Glidden Premium Ceiling Interior Flat EZ Track Paint
This paint is one of the minor odorous Types of Paint designed for ceilings. This is because its low VOC formula makes it almost odorless. It is also easy to apply by brush, roller, or sprayer.
- Approximate price: $44.82 (1 gallon.)
- Advantages: It is easy to apply and not as high priced.
- Cons: Unlike other paints, it was created primarily for use in the kitchen. It is not a good idea to use it in the bathroom.
- One Coat Coverage - Glidden One Coat Interior Paint & Primer has exceptional hide and stain block which means you need fewer coats to hide your common stains and make your walls beautiful.
- Makes Walls Washable - Exceptional scrubbability and washability make sure that if anything does get on your finish, it can handle the scrubs to get it off.
- Whirlwind is a soft, gray, enchanting purple with a misty undertone. It is a perfect paint color for a nursery. Pair it with tints of light mint greens on surrounding walls.
KILZ Restoration Stain Blocker Ceiling Primer
Ceiling paint and primer’s main advantage is that they can prevent stains caused by water or steam. This is one of the best options for kitchens since they see a lot of steam and heat during most of the day.
- Approximate price: $36.98 (1 gallon.)
- Advantages: Prevents spots on the surface.
- Cons: Many coats of paint will be sufficient to cover the entire surface.
- PRIMER | SEALER | STAINBLOCKER: KILZ RESTORATION Primer (Formerly KILZ MAX) is a new generation water-based primer, sealer and stainblocker offering performance of traditional oil and shellac-based primers. It blocks tough stains and odors and provides superior adhesion. Ideal for restoration and disaster recovery painting jobs.
- ADVANCED FORMULA: The innovative modified acrylic epoxy formula provides superior adhesion and the performance of oil-based and shellac primers with the easy clean-up, low odor and low VOC of water-based. This formula also dries hard and sands easily which makes for a great enamel undercoater.
- MULTIPLE SURFACES: Use on most interior surfaces including drywall, wood, plaster, masonry, brick, painted metal, ceramic tile, glass and most other glossy surfaces. Surfaces should be free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint prior to application. Use as a subcoat for flooring and carpets to block pet odors. Works with oil, alkyd and water-based paints.
BEHR Premium plus Paint
BEHR Premium Plus is an acrylic latex paint, which is known for its impressive mildew resistance. It is also very resistant to paint with a matte finish.
- Approximate price: $$42.75 (1 gallon.)
- Advantages: It is very stain resistant and is usually durable.
- Cons: This paint is thin and may require many coats to complete the job.
These are just some of the most recognized paints available today that were designed specifically for our kitchens. However, you can safely use these paints in other areas of the house.
Have this in mind when you are painting a ceiling
The first issue to consider is your needs when choosing paint for ceilings. In this case, since it is a kitchen ceiling, your priority will be water and stain-resistant paint. However, if you are painting another housing area, such as the living room, you may want something a little more durable.
It’s vital to assess what your primary needs are for each room in addition to the texture you’re dealing with to choose your paint correctly. For example, if you want to perform the task of painting a stucco ceiling, you will most likely want something with more substantial adhesion qualities. Otherwise, you’ll work harder to apply it, and it won’t last as long.
One of the most common debates today is whether to use ceiling paint vs. primer.
How to Paint a Kitchen Ceiling
For many people, this work can be a challenge, especially if it is the first time. In this sense, the most convenient would be to start painting the ceiling before the walls. For this, you can use a brush or a roller. However, a sprayer helps much more to get good results for a flat surface ceiling.
It is best to select a paint with a matte finish before starting, not a glossy finish. It remains dull.
One of the best kitchen ceiling paint ideas could be to use a primer before painting the ceiling. However, you can also opt for primed paint for ceilings. In the end, this can help the paint adhere better to the surface and thus providing longer-lasting results. In general, a qualified master builder will give you what type of paint for the ceiling and trim you can use on it.
Tips for Painting a Ceiling
Before you commit to the job, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- You should choose to paint with solid adhesion if you have an unusual surface, such as stucco or plaster.
- Before starting, the painter will need to clean the ceiling.
- You need to measure the space well, and then purchase paint.
- Make sure the room temperature is between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not paint the walls and ceiling the same shade. In general, the ceiling should be a little whiter than the walls.
- You need to choose a product that is stain and corrosion-resistant. And that will also provide more durability.
- Finally, you should select a different type of paint for each area of the house. This is because each room has different needs (water resistance versus stain resistance).
Read More: Types Of Kitchen
What is Latex Ceiling Paint?
Latex paints are designed specifically for ceilings. They are generally very durable and also remain resistant to cracking, peeling, and staining. One of their main advantages is that they can hide old paint very quickly and have little spatter.
Flat paints today are typical, as are eggshell or gloss paints. You should note that eggshell and gloss can show on ceilings. Unless your goal is a reflective look, you may want to opt for matte paint in this case. Matte paint will blend in more seamlessly, which will allow your walls to stand out more.
Currently, eggshell paint for the kitchen ceiling is a ubiquitous element.
Paint ceiling color
It is best to opt for a light shade that complements the wall painting but is not the same.
For the ceiling, one or two shades lighter are best. This can provide a design that will draw the drop cloth’s eye upwards.
- Excellent Hide
- Spatter Resistant
- Minimizes Surface Imperfections
How to Paint a Ceiling with Texture
A matte latex painting can give the best results when it comes to painting textured ceilings. But a sprayer maybe your best option here. However, you can also use a roller. You may have to go over the same areas several times to get an even finish, but it can certainly be a good option.
Type of Ceiling Paint for Kitchens: FAQs
Do I need special paint for the kitchen ceiling?
Latex or any water-based paint explicitly formulated for ceilings is an excellent choice for the kitchen. Most ceiling paints have a matte or dull sheen, designed to help hide defects. Paint for ceilings can also be less expensive than some premium interior wall paints.
What type of paint is best for the kitchen?
Since the kitchen is an area of great activity in the home and often needs extra cleaning, a satin finish or Semi-gloss paint is the best choice. Satin and eggshell finishes can be said to be the same, but satin is a bit glossier. Satin coatings clean easily and are good at resisting mildew, stains, and dirt.
What type of paint finish is best for ceilings?
Although a flat finish is more popular today, more ceiling paint finishes are available. The eggshell finish: After flat, the eggshell finish is the next most popular ceiling paint finish.
Eggshell paints offer a low gloss while absorbing most of the light and hiding ceiling imperfections.
Painting our kitchen ceiling is a straightforward task if you have the suitable materials. However, if you are a beginner, it can be a bit of a hassle, so it might help contact an expert in this area.
Ceiling paints are just as important as exterior paints and especially in the kitchen. It will be essential to apply an extra coat of paint to eliminate annoying roller marks in some cases.